Velvia shortages?

<p>I’ve just checked out Adorama. No, they still don’t have Velvia 100 in 120 on stock. And no estimated time of arrival for this item available. I’m hunting for Velvia 100 120 already 2nd month. I have only 3 rolls left in a fridge. I’m getting nervous since the winter is coming and the snowy landscape and winter twilight are my favorite subjects to shoot Velvia 100. May be it has something to do with the earthquake. But generally the Fujifilm seems to be quite disorganized company lately - they don’t know what to produce, they don’t know what demand is, no RD, no marketing, just nothing…</p>

<p>I believe Fuji slide films have for quite a while been manufactured in large infrequent batches against a sales forecast rather than continuously. That means that if Fuji get their numbers wrong, or an individual store sells its allocation early, there may well be no free stock available to top up, and they have to wait for the next production. Not the most customer-responsive way to run a business but there has to be a risk that if they produce less efficiently, the risk to continuation increases.</p>

<p>I'm getting a bad feeling about Fuji films in general :even for the films I favor - the supply situation from the major U.S. retailers is ,well, uncertain.<br>

"out of stock -no news on new supply" seems to be the theme.<br>

Fuji,specifically,seem to have a reputation for being less than candid about availability of their products.</p>

Thanks for the replies! I ordered some Velvia 50 from B&H... I had "settled" for some a month ago, and more recently thought it was also out of stock. I much prefer the better reciprocity of the 100, and the extra stop.

There is a side of me that wants to stock up on thousands of dollars in film (not to mention more medium format gear!)... I'm sure you can all relate. But my freezer is not that large. And I do tend to be pretty miserly with my 120 exposures... The other rub, I really want to shoot 4x5 and 8x10 someday. It's sad that the opportunity to do so is slipping away.. But also, my ability to lug heavy gear for miles and miles also seems to be slipping away.

I've never tried the 100F.. I've looked at a few threads but am still uncertain how happy I'd be substituting it.

I spent six hours hiking a stream yesterday with fall colors, watching salmon, and shooting velvia 50. So all is not lost ;)

<p><em>I've never tried the 100F… how happy I'd be substituting it.</em></p>

<p>Brain, I’m shooting all 3 Velvias and can tell you that Velvia 100F will not substitute Velvia 50/100. It’s a different film - much less saturated. It’s like a slightly more saturated version of Provia 100F. The Velvia 100F has quite weak green, kind of muted yellow which tends to be orange, dark and a bit “dirty” red; it delivers pristine blue and less contrast than RVP100. And this emulsion performs exceptionally well at overcast conditions. If you’re shooting a stream, running water deep in the wood in rainy, misty conditions you might like it. It gives very clean water and neutral gray while other emulsion might have some sort of unpleasant bluesh/magenta cast. But to shoot the autumn foliage in sunny day – this emulsion will leave you disappointed. For such shots I would prefer RVP50 or Kodak 100VS.</p>