Unsure how to respond

pbjef

<p>I did a free session for a 16 year old a few days ago as a trade for CD. Mom and grandma are upset the pictures didn't turn out well. I admit that it wasn't my best work. <br>

I'm not sure how to respond. I do need to present my product in the best light, but, I'm not sure that they just aren't after free pictures. <br>

The model actually told me that her mom and grandmother wanted her to do more bikini shoots. She said she wasn't comfortable with that. Which makes grandma and mom a little suspicious to me. <br>

As I'm typing, I'm realizing it's more important to keep a customer than to question their motives. <br>

In perspective, I took a total of 31 shots. They wanted 9 processed. This is no big deal. <br>

Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Well, tell the subject that you'll re-do the shots. Make sure that her mother & grandmother know that you will not do any bikini shots as you do not think the subject is comfortable enough for the photos to work (don't mention that the girl feels uncomfortable).</p>

<p>OTOH I don't really know the situation. So don't take my advice too seriously. Good luck!</p>

<p>Offer a re-edit (if you can fix via photoshop) or a reshoot. If the model is not comfortable in a certain outfit - don't force her into it. That one is between the mom and daughter. </p>

<p>Make sure that you get a drivers license from mom - or something that proves she is the mother of the girl - and have mom stay for the shoot. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I think you're right to be suspicious, and should walk away. Return the CD, let them keep the proofs (they are proofs, right?), and call it even. But, that's just a paranoid old guy talking. If you go ahead with it, follow David's advice and have bona-fide Mom present - as well as a female "assistant" as a witness...</p>

<p>The big question for me would be why bikini shots, and of a 16 year old; And why does Mom and GM want bikini shots? Sorry but this doesn't sound right somehow. Make sure Mom is there regardless if re-shot, and don't worry about loosing a customer that isn't paying hard cash. Thats the tip off.</p>

<p>I'm a little confused... what exactly don't they like about your work: composition, lighting, exposure? Or would they just rather see their little girl showing off some skin instead of wearing BDUs? If it is a quality issue with the original images, then I'd just fix them as best possible and tell them that is the best you could do. If they want something else, tell them how much it will cost... as a separate project.</p>

<p>I won't address the ethical questions since there are too many unknowns in the equation. </p>

<p>A photographic question. 31 shots seems very few for a session and you said you were disappointed. Did you take enough photos, try enough different things?</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Thanks for the advice. She's ROTC, not military, yet. Mom and GM want her to do more bikini for money. I'm not doing bikini stuff with her. 31 shots because it was getting dark and she just wanted to talk. I just edited them "straight" - meaning I ran through a few actions and smoothed the skin. Nothing more. <br>

Sometimes it's funny how picky people get when they get things for free.</p>

<p>"What is the military policy on photographing people in uniform?" There is no policy for high school kids using military uniforms: you would have to see some of the ribbon-getters with several dozen decorations on their jackets....</p>

<p>My guess: the green uniforms gave a less-than-lifelike color to the girl's face....</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If, as you clearly state, this was a "free session" then these are not customers. They are people for whom you are doing a favour.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The OP did not "clearly" state the nature of the agreement, only that it wasn't for money itself. There could have been an agreement for use of the likeness of the model or other things done in exchange for supplying the images.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"They are people for whom you are doing a favour."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think a trade for CD arrangement is more akin to bartering - both parties benefit from the experience without money changing hands. It is not a favour. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"In which case you may simply walk away. I would."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think that might be true as both parties fulfilled their barter agreement. The fact that one talent was unhappy with the results from the other is probably immaterial. </p>