24-70 vs 24-105

simon_t1

<p>I own both lenses. Optically the 24-105 does not even come close to the quality of the 24-70. The only reason I picked up the 24-105 is there are times I want something lighter with longer reach, mainly if I don't want to carry the 70-200 with me.</p>

<p>Also, you are entirely correct, the 24-70 is faster to focus and brighter in the viewfinder.</p>

<p>Harry - why do you find the 24-70 poor in dim light. Mine works fine and since the AF comes from the body not the lens I wonder why you find this. The AF motors are in the lens but the body and the lens aperture determine AF performance, assuming the lens has fast AF motors (USM). Some lenses (e.g. 300 F2.8 and 70-200 f2.8) appear to have slightly faster AF but my 24-70 F2.8 is a very fast focusing lens and probably faster than the 24-105 it replaced.</p>

<p>I also own both, and am finding the 24-105 IS trumps the extra stop in borderline hand held conditions. Set both on tripods (and turn the IS of on the 24-105 of course), and the 24-70 wins the sharpness battle, but...</p>

<p>I also find the 24-105's <em>color</em> more neutral, cooler.</p>

<p>The 24-105 at 24mm is a bit wider than the 24-70 at 24mm, fwiw.</p>

<p>The 24-105 maintains good contrast with a light source just beyond the frame, whereas the same situation with the 24-70 will render the scene with a diffuse flare.</p>

<p>The 24-70 can get a little closer in macro.</p>

<p>The 24-105 is significantly lighter and more compact.</p>

<p>Simon:</p>

<p>I was surprised a while back to hear about the 24-105/4 focusing quickly in very dim light. I had never thought to try it. By the light of my monitor, I focused on my keyboard. It snapped sharply into focus for an exposure of f/4, 1/10th at ISO 6400. That's a lot dimmer than my general use. I'm using it on a 1D4, and that helps with the autofocus speed.</p>

<p>My thought process is that both the 24-70 and 24-105 are slow lenses in terms of maximum aperture. If I'm shooting in dim light, I want a fast lens, so I'll use a 24/1.4, 35/1.4 or 50/1.4. If I have sufficient light, then I'd rather have the longer range of the 24-105.</p>

<p>Interestingly enough, I rarely use my 85/1.8 anymore. With the IS of the 24-105, it's almost a wash for the level of light I can shoot people in and still come away with sharp photos.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>The main differences between these lenses are not going to be in terms of things like focusing speed. They include:</p>

<ul>

<li>Absence or presence of IS</li>

<li>Size of the focal length range</li>

<li>Maximum aperture</li>

<li>Quality of bokeh</li>

<li>Size and weight</li>

</ul>

<p>Almost certainly better to make your decision on these factors.</p>

<p>There is a post at my blog that also looks at the <a href="http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2011/02/06/canon-ef-24-70mm-f2-8-l-versus-canon-ef-24-105mm-f5-l-is">comparison between these lenses</a>.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>My 24-70 is my most used lens on my 7D... and will probably also fill the bill when I get a full frame. I'm one of those who love the hefty weight of it. I've never had trouble focusing in low light ( 3200 2.8 1/40th type of light ). <br>

Every lens is a compromise. And it seems every lens has a list of negative attributes that are repeated over and over on the internet to the point some will believe they are true.<br>

R</p>