The Mirrorless Nikon Arrives

scott_ferris

<p>Hard to really tell what they have in mind here ... I hope the intention is not to compete with the similiar-sized Sony NEX7 ... you know, the one with the 24.3mpx APS-C sensor, 10fps, tiltable LCD, EVF, in-camera HDR, etc., etc, etc. ... nope, no worry NIK, you won't be in any competition with THAT ONE at all.</p>

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I don't really see how we can predict the future...<br /> These new cameras were just announced today and we don't even have samples of what they are capable of....<br /> Until now I wasn't interested on them but today I can see one of them in my hands in a near future. Maybe not these 1st model but a 2G.<br /> Good or bad. Better or worse than the competition. It doesn't matter. I think there is so much for Nikon to evolve here and that is only good for us who like photography and cameras.<br /> I don't really care how they look or how big the sensor is as long as they do the job.<br /> I already have a good selection of lenses for my DSLR's and it would be nice if they could be used with these new cameras but so far it doesn't make any sense to me except maybe for macro and tele but then again, this 1st generation seem not to have a M,A and S modes. Using my 24mm on this camera would become a short tele. Maybe my Tokina 11-16 would work....<br /> But yeah, I think the J1 with that 10mm seems like a sweet set and with time these system will only get better. So let's give Nikon a chance and let's not ONLY focus and what we don't like about the system but let's hope it gets better and we can enjoy it.<br>

Also no matter how many of us here in the forum won't buy these cameras but I think for Nikon what really counts are the millions of units they will sell over all. There is market for every one still.</p>

<blockquote>this 1st generation seem not to have a M,A and S modes</blockquote>

<p>From the brochure:<br />

Autofocus (AF): Single AF (AF- S); continuous AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF -C selection (AF - A); fulltime AF (AF -F) Manual focus (MF)<br />

<br />

I still can't get over "motion snapshot" being a major shooting mode. I have one of the few monitors on the planet actually capable of displaying a 3840x2160 capture, and I still can't see the possible benefit. I have no intention of installing Capture NX to display it, let alone finding a way to send such a thing to anyone else. Music is of no use to me since I'm usually in an environment where making a noise is going to annoy other people. You can't print it, you can't share it. A gimmick is all very well, but of all the things to have pride of place on a mode dial... (And I note that there's no mention of the word "panorama" in the brochure, although I may have missed it in a press release.)<br />

<br />

Don - thanks for the link. ISO 3200 is... not magical.<br />

<br />

Maybe there's something about this that justifies the price. Otherwise, like (for me) the Pentax Q, you pay a lot to put a lens mount on a system; it really has to have appreciable benefits over a compact.</p>

Too much for nikon to come up. After all they have come up with simi compact type. Nikon has gone for full frame

since they couldnt cope with high iso on dx forma and here now they are going for cx

Or may be they sensor manufacturer Sony don't want nikon to compete with them for their nex cams

I thing nikon has to end to be under the mercy of Sony for the sensor

<p>Oops - sorry Rene', my failure to read carefully enough (distracted by previous talk of no manual focus rings).<br />

<br />

Again from the brochure, "Programmed auto with flexible program; shutter priority auto; aperture-priority auto; manual; scene auto selector". I think you're safe, although I'm not sure how quickly you can access it (not that I toggle between modes all that often). I keep vaguely hoping that these cameras are going to have a touchscreen to compensate for the lack of apparent external controls...</p>

<p>Thinking about this a little bit more, it's possible that Sony (which supplies Nikon with sensors for many of its dSLRs) has an agreement with Nikon that it can only use Sony sensors in its traditional dSLR line. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility for technology companies to have these types of agreements. This could be why Nikon went with this out-of-the-blue small sensor. This aspect of the new line seems to be primary pain-point of many of the posters here today (I know it is for me). I find it hard to believe that Nikon would want to introduce a mirror-less camera with smaller sensors than its current crop sensor dSLR line, especially when Olympus and Sony have not done that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It appears that Nikon is primarily targeting consumer market</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This where the bulk of customers are. WE here are just a bunch of whiny enthusiasts and pros, making up a small minority. Of course we want to Full frame EVIL, F-mount compatible, NEX size with a few f1.4 primes..... ain't gonna happen anytime soon....</p>

<p>Of course although we are all bitching that this a non-event, it is still the busiest thread on PNET :)</p>

<p>The sample photos on the Nikon USA site look like crap. Iso 400 sample of Tom Brady in the museum has as much noise as my D300s at 1600. The beach scene at ISO 100 looks no better than images from a compact in terms of acuity, resolution. I am a very open minded person about new things so I was considering this as a potential video solution, maybe even a magnifier for my telephoto stuff given the claimed AF speed. Looking at those samples is very disappointing. </p>

<p>Earlier this year I rented a NEX-5 to better understand, in my own hands, the capability. I was highly dubious that its performance could be anywhere nearly as good as my D700, but the question was it good enough as a walk around camera.<br>

My first test was to compare my D700 vs the NEX-5 and up to an ISO of 800, one would be hard pressed to tell the difference. If you want to take the test, stop by my website blog and take the test. (http://www.e2photo.net/e2Photography,_LLC/Blog/Entries/2011/1/20_Nex-5_Camera.html)<br>

From this experience, I have learned not to make judgements based on my preconceived notions. At the right time, I will rent both the NEX-7 and the Nikon 1 and make my own comparisons of performance. Although I don't know the results of that experiment, my belief is I will be surprised by the results.<br>

Another way to think about all this is what does this mean to the next FX Nikon camera. Put all of the video and autofocus capability in a FX, and I would guess all of you would be drooling! In the race of the tortoise and the hare, the tortoise takes their fair share of wins. </p>

<p>I'm disappointed.<br /><br />Sensor is 31% the size of the Fuji X100.<br /><br />92% of the weight (if you include the Nikon pancake lens)<br /><br />110% of the volume (including the pancake lens)<br /><br />Seems like weight and volume are similar, and the sensor is way smaller.<br /><br />I must not be the target demographic.<br /><br /><br />Eric </p>

<p>For me, I will wait until I see actual images that I have taken to make my decision. I will purchase one of these creatures before the end of the year, because I want a small walk around camera that takes great pictures but also gives me video. And I don't want the mass of a D3 or D700. Don't misunderstand me. I have a second D700 on order (tired of waiting) and will purchase two of the next gen D700 as well.<br>

Who knows... I may shoot a wedding with a mirrorless camera just to demonstrate the wonderful advantages of their capability!! lol...<br>

Like the rest of you I am dubious about Nikon 1, but I am patient and will wait for real world experience.</p>