The Mirrorless Nikon Arrives

scott_ferris

<p>I must say I am intrigued but a bit cautious. When Pentax came out with the Q, I thought WT.... no manual A/M/S mode selection wheely thingy, c'mon!</p>

<p>Let's see.... But I think they look pretty neat at least</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><em>Why the tiny sensor? And the design is no better than my rather nondescript Samsung NX-100 that has an APS-C sensor. I guess bodies will progress from here and it's nice to know my old Nikkor lenses will retain their value but a 2.7x factor is not very flexible.</em></p>

<p>The 1 camera lineup will have no effect on the value of DX and FX Nikkors basically since the sensor is so small they serve different purposes. And I don't think it makes much sense to use the adapter considering the difference in sensor size. Unless the autofocus works <em>really</em> well (better than that of DX DSLRs).</p>

<p>Yes, it may have out-priced its market. Its sensor is too small. No manual focus on the lens barrel . . . hmmm. But a truly pocketable street camera? Yeah, I kinda want one. But how can I? An APS-C Sony NEX at ISO 800 has got to look a <em>lot</em> better than the Nikon V1 at ISO 800, right?</p>

<p>I like Sony's effort on this more than Nikon's. The 2.7x crop sensor (even though I still need to see some reviews and sample images) is a bit disappointing. I was looking at Sony's NEX system last night. The NEX system looks very good on paper; it has with a 1.5x crop sensor that keeps photography intuitive for those of us that are DX users. And there are a wide range of lens options from a very fast prime to a wide angle to a telephoto. </p>

<p>I'd like to have a mirror-less camera as a walk-around when traveling in large foreign cities and couple it with an 18-55 and a fast 50 (both of which are in the Sony lineup). I'd travel with my D90 with the 10-24 attached also, but for the UWA stuff only. It would also be good to have one of these cameras for small social gatherings with friends (dSLRs still scare people).</p>

<p>I'll probably end up getting a Sony now that I see what Nikon has presented.</p>

<p>Other day I was in a camera store chatting with the salesman there about video offered by these DSLRs D7000 and what he said that Nikon and Canon - both have issue with focusing during video shoot and suggested Sony a55 is better - it has something transperant mirror - May be this is Nikon's resolution to that issue which means video from this cameras could be better. Perhaps, they might introduce more cameras with this technology ..</p>

<blockquote>No manual focus on the lens barrel . . . hmmm.</blockquote>

<p>It's a little hard to say, but I think there <i>is</i> - although there's only one ring on the zoom, there's a ring on the pancake prime as well. There is, however, a zoom rocker on the back of the camera; I suspect either you have to use this for zooming, or the ring on the lens can be dual-purposed. Some of the lenses seem to have an integrated slider that looks like a motorized zoom control; the kit zoom seems to have a button that I guess might be a clutch to toggle between zoom and manual focus. Unless it's a fully-configurable control like Samsung's, but it didn't look like all the lenses have a similar button.</p>

<p>Kenneth said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'd like to have a mirror-less camera as a walk-around when traveling in large foreign cities and couple it with an 18-55 and a fast 50 (both of which are in the Sony lineup) . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I didn't realize Sony made an E-mount 50mm f/1.8. I think you just sold me on a Sony NEX-5N + 16mm f/2.8 + 50mm f/1.8 [oh, I see I have to wait until Christmas for the 50mm!] Oh well, now I know what to tell everyone I want for Xmas!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I didn't realize Sony made an E-mount 50mm f/1.8. I think you just sold me on a Sony NEX-5N + 16mm f/2.8 + 50mm f/1.8 [oh, I see I have to wait until Christmas for the 50mm!] Oh well, now I know what to tell everyone I want for Xmas!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yup, there is a 50 f/1.8 for NEX coming out. Check it out...</p>

<p>http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666375271</p>

<p>I would put this on an NEX-5, throw an 18-55 in the pocket and call it a day for traveling. The 16 f/2.8 looks good and there is a UWA adapter that goes with it that gets to 12mm at a full-frame equivalent, but I'd just carry a dSLR and a 10-24 for the UWA stuff...I heard that UWA NEX adapter is not great, and there is no zoom. I want to see what the IQ is like. If it's good, I might put my 16-85 on the market to subsidize this purchase.</p>

<p>It's interesting, and in the right direction (smaller). Perhaps it is telling us something about the future of sensors as well. The days of large, conventional DSLRs, and huge weighty backpacks full of gear are numbered. There will be a proliferation of designs in this shift, and am glad Nikon has jumped in. I wish them the best of luck, as this is a critical step. Buy one? It's way too early to say. Looking forward to seeing the tests.</p>

<p>Ugly? Looks pretty perfect to me. Minimalist design, no extraneous nubs or buttons. Kind of like a Leica actually...</p>

<p>And have you guys even read the specs? 60fps 10mpix stills! 1200 fps video?! Of course there are limitations, but I would say that opens up some real creative possibilities. I think I could even press this into use for sports photography as my third body for close end-zone shooting. And putting this on my 400 f/2.8, even if focus was completely manual, would open up some amazing opportunities, especially with the slow-motion video. I can't wait to see some actual test results.</p>

<p>(And yes of course I would have preferred to see a D4 announced. Oh well.)</p>

<p>Nikon 1 is not for me. There is probably a group out there that will like it,<br>

those with P and Shoots who want to change lenses.<br>

I was hoping for a Fuji X100 type camera with interchangeable lenses, full frame sensor,<br>

excellent ergonomics, excellent auto-focus. I think the days of the mirror box are now<br>

numbered. It won't go away quickly, but it will go away; we don't need it anymore.<br>

The future holds smaller, lighter cameras than the D3X with equal or better image quality that<br>

use our current lenses. That's what I want.</p>

<p>Looking at the colors, 3 slow aperture zooms, and lack of buttons, it is pretty clear to me that Nikon is targetting the P&S upgrader not the enthusiast. I'm actually okay with that but the price is pretty high even on the cheaper model. There are already Micro 4/3 and NEX models for less money, better lens selection, and most likely better image quality. I'm not really sure how much the Nikon name will help as there is no real dominant player in the compact market.</p>

<p>[[surely a 2.7 x crop sensor would be 13.3mm x 8.9mm. Hardly one inch.]]</p>

<p>[[Yes, clearly, I'm incorrect (even if measured diagonally). I don't know where I read that "one-inch" thing.]]</p>

<p>It is actually called a 1"-type sensor. Just like the 1/2"-type sensor is not actually 1/2", the name has no direct relationship to the actual dimensions of the sensor.</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, it may have out-priced its market. Its sensor is too small. No manual focus on the lens barrel . . . hmmm. But a truly pocketable street camera? Yeah, I kinda want one. But how can I? An APS-C Sony NEX at ISO 800 has got to look a <em>lot</em> better than the Nikon V1 at ISO 800, right?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>FWIW there is a ISO 800 <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/j1/img/sample/img_01_l.jpg">sample</a> (JPG no less) on the Nikon website that looks pretty darn good.</p>

<p>I am very eager to see it tested. I do not think Nikon is stupid, they probably did their homework. A completely new sensor, that could not have been cheap. I'd love a 27mm equivalent pocketable camera with good IQ - just have not seen one. Tough the lack of manual controls IS disappointing.</p>