The little known Yashica JP

capitalq

<p>I don't know much about this camera and there's very little info about it on the www. Here's what little i do know:<br>

1. Released in 1964, the <strong>Yashica J-P</strong> was a "budget" revision of the earlier Penta J. It added a self-timer but instead of a built-in meter, a clip-on CdS meter was sold which coupled to the shutter speed.<br>

2. Its m42 mount predates Yashica's collaboration with Contax and the development of their proprietary mount.</p>

<p>If any one has anything else factual to add, it would be much appreciated. Here are my impressions:</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZL7m-398887584.jpg.4fb69c1c8651f9173554e01d815e153b.jpg</div>

<p>This top view shows the front shoe which is used to clip on the optional CdS meter. As you will note, the shutter speeds ranged from 1/2s to 1/500s. The silver-bodied Yashinon lens is very capable but it's not as sturdy as a comparable Takumar lens. </p><div>00ZL7z-398891584.jpg.7c4683969ed0f2109dd6b42274573a5b.jpg</div>

<p>Capital Q, I had a model which predates that camera by about 3 or 4 years, the Yashica Pentamatic. Lost now to antiquity but it gave me many satisfactory results. The shutter release was on the front as with yours but it was angled about 45 degrees upward so that you still pressed it down rather than 'in' like on your model. If you search 'Gallery'>'Search by photo tags'> pentamatic, you'll see a couple of shots I took with it. Congratulations on finding this old gem and happy shooting! Best, LM.</p>

<p>Thanks, Rashed. Yes, you should take your Nikormat out for a spin soon...</p>

<p>Thanks. Len & Kent - Apparently, there are quite a few fans of the Yashica "penta" models. One of the things I really enjoy about this camera is its sheer mechanical simplicity. And the great thing is that they can take on the great assortment of m42 lenses. </p><div>00ZLED-398967584.jpg.aad2ebde82246e20705e19152bad8b2f.jpg</div>

<p>Nice find, <strong>Capital</strong>, especially with the meter, though I share your sentiments about it's usefulness. As I recall, this was Yashica's third SLR, the first being the Pentamatic with a unique bayonet lens mount, and then the Penta J, the first in a long line of "J" series SLR's with the M42 mount. I have a Penta J with the same lens as yours, and I'd agree that it's a nice performer, as is most Yashinon glass. Fine series of photographs; "Making Friends" is a charming pic, and "Overpass" and "Father and Son" both appeal.</p>