ISO 25 Medium Format Developer

<p>Hello,<br>

After a recent trip out to Wyoming I've found myself with many rolls of slow 120 film that need to be developed. My original plan was to ship them off to Dwayne's photo (they've been really good in the past), but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a really good developer for Efke 25 (120). I'm aiming for the finest grain/highest resolving results, but haven't found one that I really like just yet.<br>

On a side note, has anyone used Adox CMS 20 film yet?</p>

<p>Thanks for all your input</p>

<p>Most people that I know shoot this stuff to dev it themselves. It tends to be a "quality or bust" kind of niche.</p>

<p>Where are you? This will likely have to go to a local pro shop, if available. This info would allow more people to help you.</p>

<p>Going forward, I would research what your preferred service and develop before picking a film to use.</p>

<p>D-76 (or its equivalent) stock solution should be about the best combination of fine grain and speed without too much solvent effect (grain shaving, IIRC) of fine grain developers like Microdol-X. I think you could use HC110 dilution B, but I don't remember the time. You should check with various labs to see what developer they use. I would suggest investing in an inexpensive tank and some chemicals, but with important film it's probably not the best time to learn. </p>

<p>I have no experience with the Efke film, but for what it's worth...</p>

<p>For many many years I developed 120 Agfapan 25 in Rodinal 1:50 with outstanding results.</p>

<p>Although Rodinal is no longer available under that name, the same formula is made under other names.<br /> Plenty of info about that here and elsewhere.</p>

<p>If you want a lab, try Dodge Chrome in Silver Spring, Maryland http://www.dodgechrome.com/photofilm/wetlab.html<br /> They use Ilfotec DD which would be a good choice for that film. Excellent commercial lab.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Efke/Adox25 is a rather contrasty emulsion (little latitude); which also means that 1min too long or too short and your negs will give you a hard time.<br>

I'd go Xtol 1+2 or Adox ATM49 1+2 dilution. D-76 1+3 only if you don't find anything else. Rodinal at 1+99/1+199 could work but you will probably mis-develop the first roll.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>Rodinal 1:50 works beautifully with EFKE 25. 1:100 dilution works even better. It's bascially Stand Development but really tames the contrast. See that photo of mine attached to every post I make on Photo.net? Efke 25 in Rodinal 1:100.<br>

I think Freestyle is selling Rodinal under the name "Adonal" now. Apparently after 110 years some schmuck at AGFA decided they couldn't call it "Rodinal" anymore. A bottle will last you for years....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Apparently after 110 years some schmuck at AGFA decided they couldn't call it "Rodinal" anymore.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nope, some jerk named Minakais, John decided to trademark the name in the USA.<br>

Have no clue who me might be. Apparently trying to rip off the manufacturer.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When Agfa went tits up they sold the name not the copyrights.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's a trademark issue, not a copyright issue.</p>

<p>Two totally separate and unrelated subjects, administered by different government agencies.</p>

<p>Copyrights are handled by the Copyright Office in the Library of Congress. http://www.copyright.gov<br /> Trademarks are handled by the Patent and Trademark Office of the Department of Commerce. http://www.uspto.gov</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>I understand Neofin Blue also works excellent. It is available from Freestyle Sales Co In Hollywood, (so is the film) here is a link offering development times for Efke Films http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Efke+50&Developer=&mdc=Search<br>

Efke iso 50 time is recommended for Tetenol Neofin Blue Stock Solution at 8 Min for 120 and 9 Min for 35mm.<br>

I have been told that Ansel Adams used a dual bath Neofin Blue recipe for his B&W negatives.</p>