nikon d3200

eric_arnold

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Interesting to know what is the "<em>wireless plus sync connector</em>" - or just DPReview's inability to tell what it really is ?<br /> No built-in CLS commander flash ? (or may be "wireless<strong>,</strong> plus the PC sync connector"?<br /> At this techlology age, the USB port should be version 3, that is usually down/back compatible with USB 2.0</p>

<p> </p>

<p>From what I've read, it sounds like nobody knows how it works.</p>

<p>Sounds like a great camera for the price, and I'm thrilled that Nikon released a new, affordable prime. Still hate that it doesn't have the aperture ring for video shooting though.</p>

<p>24MP and sold with a 18-55 kit lens - something doesn't compute here. As many have pointed out in this forum and others, the 16MP D7000 is demanding on lenses - so now we are getting 24MP in a $700 "entry level" camera? Do the users of this type of camera really need 24MP to be transferred wirelessly to their iphone and on to facebook?</p>

<p>Can we now expect that the D5200, D7100, and D400 will have a 24MP sensor as well?</p>

<p>28/1.8 - interesting lens for both FX and DX; guess prices for the venerable 28/1.4 will drop now.</p>

<p>why !? on a D3XXX series , on a higher end "D7100" or "D400" would make almost perfect sense. <br>

most entry level shooter don't even print and if they do, not bigger that 8x10 , I understand the social interface but not the 24mp sensor. </p>

<p>The Sony's kit lens 18-55 works well on the same sensor size and resolution on the NEX-7 camera, so the Nikon kit lens could possibly work well.<br>

There are just too many complainers about things, perhaps, or the expectations are set too high.</p>

<p>This is going to be the low end all features consumer grade camera, and even if some features are seemingly not needed, Nikon gives them to users, seeing more into the future, and the competition.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just a guess from NEX-7 usage of (24 MP) and NEX-5N (16 MP).<br>

I believe Nikon can deliver a better camera, even if the same or similar sensor is used by others.<br>

NEX-5N is already 1 EV stop better at high end ISO than the NEX-7.<br>

Sony decided to stop the auto ISO usage for most everything in the camera, at ISO = 1600 for NEX-7, and at ISO=3200 for NEX-5N cameras.</p>

<p>If auto ISO goes for all D3200 camera features to the ISO 6400, it seems rasonable to expect good performance at ISO 3200.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Interesting to know what is the "<em>wireless plus sync connector</em>"<br>

From what I've read, it sounds like nobody knows how it works</p>

</blockquote>

<p>= Remotecontrol from Smartphone ( app installation required ) , and image transfer to smartphones<br>

Nikons description : <a href="http://nikon.com/news/2012/0419_wireless_mobile_adapter_02.htm">http://nikon.com/news/2012/0419_wireless_mobile_adapter_02.htm</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>For 'slow' photographers rather than 'action in the dark' guys, is this the best so far??</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Reading the stories from From Nikon, i'd leave out the "Slow"and "Rather then action in the Dark"part.... :<br>

Nikon says :<br>

- To process 24.2-megapixel data at high speed, an image-processing engine EXPEED 3, the same as that used by the Nikon D4, that is optimized for D-SLRs is incorporated.<br>

- Wide sensitivity range from ISO 100 to 6400 is provided. Superior high-sensitivity performance is offered even with high pixel count. The range can be increased up to Hi 1 (ISO 12800 equivalent). Even at high ISO setting, sharp images are delivered with minimized noise while maintaining resolution.</p>

<p>No...<br>

Max 4fps, no support for AF-D , 11 point AF , lightwait body, so no D300s aspirations.<br>

But ... tes a very nice sensor possibly (still needs to prove itself) , low light capabilities and D4 image processing logic :-) ...</p>

<p>Ah, C.P.M. ... how true....D400 soon??</p>

<p>However, at that price, I'd almost buy a new one and pull the IR blocking filter off for very hi res IR. With the 'free' kit lens retailing at about $100 second hand, that's about £450 (sorry for the mixed currencies!) for a 24M DSLR with full manual control!</p>

<p>I wonder what effect this camera will have on the prices of 'old' DSLRs?</p>

<p><em>For 'slow' photographers rather than 'action in the dark' guys, is this the best so far??</em><br>

<br /><br>

OK, it's no D300 replacement, so no AF-D support, not-so-fast AF Module, only 4fps, non CPU metering.....<br>

<br /><br>

......but maybe a poor mans' D800 for landscapes? Tripod, Manual Focus, Manual Exposure, Single Frame......but with a 24MP sensor.</p>

<p>As someone said, very odd for an entry level model @ this price!</p>

<p>This is undoubtedly the sensor that Sony has been using for a while. Fascinating that the newer technology seems to be "trickling up", though. </p>

<p>This camera will destroy D5100 sales. Only those who must have a swivel LCD will get it.</p>

<p>The other ironic thing is that higher resolution will probably work BETTER for the "rank amateur soccer mom" (no offense) that a camera like this works well for, as they are less likely to frame accurately, and the resolution will make cropping more effective.</p>

<p>As someone ready to pull the trigger on a D300s replacement, I find this release frustrating.<br>

Given Nikon's inability to get product into stores, by the time the D400 (or whatever it might me called) is announced it may not be available (physically) for a very, very long time. :(<br>

That being said, nice entry level camera for sure.</p>

<p>It might have made some sense to switch the D3200 to the 16MP, and a D5200 with the 24MP sensor instead.But I guess the D3100 had to go first because of its sensor.<br>

On the other hand, it also seems the more serious DSLR buyer is less worries about megapixels than the less-serious. So having a very high resolution entry-level body to lure them in, and then the slightly lower resolution bodies with better overall specification otherwise... it might not be all that bad. Indeed, the D5100 seems most at risk, but maybe a D5200 is not too far off.</p>