Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #27

nathangardner

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I had my first opportunity to motorcycle racing in May, at Summit Point in WV. After years of shooting cars my first thought was "how hard can this be"? Turned out it is very different than cars. The bikes are smaller, accelerate faster and take different lines on the track so DOF changes. But we had a great time. Not the best shots ever, but a good learning experience.</p><div>00Z0KI-377271584.jpg.1f7f2f2b4d9c0d4db0f5d0febc273601.jpg</div>

<p>This is something from Friday, when I wished I could levitate or been able to be do a high-wire thing so that I could have been directly above this scene here. I rotated this image 90° CCW to what I think makes this shot a little more intriguing. The artist within the canvas itself!</p><div>00Z0Kw-377279584.jpg.24f6b93c80bd4e537024032b29e6d0d5.jpg</div>

<p>So my first thought is "Oh No poor kitty" thinking he is sick or dead. Why would a cat be in such a place? So just as I prepare to go check on him he lazily raises his head, yawns and then goes back to sleep. So I took his picture instead. Thanks for scaring me kitty. Canon 5dMk2 ISO 200 1/400 f/4 Sigma 24-70 70mm</p><div>00Z0Lb-377289584.jpg.bc2b163ead5d1c984969abe4d3faad1b.jpg</div>

<p>This painted stainless steel sculpture dominates the front veranda of the Meadows Museum, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas. I shot it last night after waiting an hour for the light from the setting sun (to my right) and the light from the sculpture's base were more or less equal. The museum specializes in Hispanic art, including this 2007 "Sbo" by the Spanish artist, Jaume Pensa.</p><div>00Z0M8-377303584.jpg.ef2b2d0e6fb0e30e32e1b751b8d7e148.jpg</div>

<p>In 2010 I was able to get out to California and hit a place I had wanted to visit for a very long time - the white Mountains in California.</p>

<p>As I drove up the mountains toward 13,000 feet, the landscape became more barren and rocky except for these amazing Bristlecone pines. these trees can be among the oldest living things on the planet. The place they live is short on oxygen and long on cold and UV radiation.</p>

<p>I arrived shortly before sundown and hurried up the trail as fast as I could (at 13K feet a Minnesota flatlander ain't that fast!)</p>

<p>This shot was taken overlooking a downed tree and the valley on the eastern slope of the mountains. I liked the pastel colors as they blended into the sky.</p><div>00Z0Ql-377407584.jpg.8ed35385400187ff3426a71d1fd973cc.jpg</div>

<p><a href=" Ashley src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6029/5896767811_b4127e3cbc_z.jpg" alt="Ashley" width="427" height="640" /></a><br>

<strong>Ashley</strong><br /><br />Camera: Canon EOS 50D<br />Lens: Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM<br />Exposure Program: Manual<br />Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)<br />Aperture: f/13.0<br />Focal Length: 17 mm<br />ISO Speed: 100<br />Exposure Bias: 0 EV<br />Flash: Off, Did not fire<br /><br /><strong>Strobes</strong><br /><br />Single 200ws strobe, high camera left shooting through a 24"x24" softbox triggered by a Calumet wireless RF trigger system. I forget the strobe output but I want to say it was around 33% - 50%.</p>

<p>Great stuff as usual. Some folks still work on the 4th of July. This is a local dairy farmer cutting his alfalfa. It was taken on a hot bright morning on my way home from the store. I didn't notice that I had not changed my ISO setting from the previous use of the camera in a dark restaurant.</p><div>00Z0R6-377417584.jpg.402acd29fc096778cbd0f546fa094e9f.jpg</div>

<p>Nice stuff everyone!</p>

<p>Always look forward to this thread! Even when I don't get to participate, . . . it's always a pleasure to see the work of other's!</p>

<p>David's shot of the Buck in Velvet, Dan's Heron, Bill's Owl, Randall's Snowbird, & Robert's Egret, . . . tells me it's time to get away from the neighborhood and get back to shooting some Nature, but here in Eastern Kansas it's probably better to do as DL (Dave) did and stay close to the road this time of year because of the Tick's & Chigger's!</p>

<p>Mike's rotation of his Sidewalk Artist really makes for a unique composition!</p>

<p>Thom's panorama looks very peaceful with that great lighting and reflection, . . . makes me want to take a walk along the shoreline, and take a peek at Nimesh's Sailboats, . . . and at the same time look up to take in Eric's evening clouds.</p>

<p>I can feel the bump when my end hit's the ground in Dan's POV!</p>

<p>By the time I get to John's sculpture, . . . I'll need a snack from William's Blackberries as I take in the street views from SF that Brad treats us with! Along the waterfront I too may do an "Oh no, poor Kitty" as John did!</p>

<p>I can take in the Motorcycle Races in WV along the way to Jeremy's Mill in Alabama, and possibly Jeff's Oldies Marketplace!</p>

<p>After visiting Jan's Niece's experiment and Karen's Poppies, I couldn't find a place to park anywhere in Dave's shot, so I took a ride in Peter's carriage to catch the Pinta, . . . but a few hundred years after Columbus!</p>

<p>I visited Phil's Sunken Garden's, . . . thank goodness it was before Davy's rain hit, and I didn't get bit by Massimo's Pug or Spencer's Tiger!</p>

<p>So glad I did'nt have to fetch the stick in Bruce's beach shot! I'd have to visit Lupo's kitchen again!, . . . and again, and again! (That would be a good thing!)</p>

<p>I tried to use the Phone at Ol' 55, to find out how to get to Hartman's final home, but someone was on it and I couldn't wait any longer!</p>

<p>No way I could keep up with Arie, . . . cause I wanted to stop and see the show with Jeff!</p>

<p>I hope Nathan gets his laptop working soon, but as he said, . . . "the show must go on," so I'll just lay back with Marcus, the two James's & Anthony and take in the Fireworks!</p>

<p>My critiques to this point are all in fun, and I hope you enjoy your journey in this weeks thread as much as I have!<br>

The journey continues with the latest contributions I am certain, and my apologies for those that posted while I was doing the same, . . . can we break the 100 mark?</p>

<p>Oh yeah, . . . my contribution this week very much resembles Phil's shot!</p>

<p> </p><div>00Z0SX-377441584.jpg.a60d8b239d18199716355326be63bf5f.jpg</div>