Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #27

nathangardner

Important: please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER

300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).

Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are right here. Remember: only one image each week!

Happy Thursday to everyone and happy Independence day to those of you in the USA. The 4th of July means barbecues and

fireworks for many people, the latter of which usually make for good photos. I took some shots of the fireworks we shot off, but

unfortunately my laptop is not cooperating and won't boot up. This means I cannot post a photo yet, but the show must go on so let's

see your shots from this week. Hopefully I'll get the laptop fixed soon and post a photo. I had to write this with my iPhone so please

forgive any minor grammatical errors. What would we do without our technology?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>4th of July fireworks from Laguna Niguel, S. California. If you look at the bottom right corner, you can see a fire starting to flare up (apparently due to someone setting off their own fireworks, not the main show). 10 mins later the park was evacuated in a hurry. Eventually burned about 6 acres. No injuries and no property damage thanks to the efforts of the firefighters. </p>

<p> </p><div>00Z0GQ-377209584.jpg.79d6c4bf131c191dbecfd6899cb40d0d.jpg</div>

<p>Technically, not my favorite shot of the evening, but I love the patriotic colors! This is my first time playing with long exposure shots. Everything came out overexposed, washing out a lot of the wonderful colors. I was so flustered trying to figure out how to change the EC in bulb mode that I never thought to close the aperture (shot everything at f/8). So I played with the saturation in post. Maybe a little too much? Well, here's to learning!</p><div>00Z0H5-377219584.jpg.1853e389b0444433df3f837f3038b30f.jpg</div>

<p>Malayan Tiger at the San Diego Zoo. Should of lowered the iso, but I was in a darker area before I shot this and I forgot to change it.</p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Camera</th>

<td><a href="http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/">Canon EOS 7D</a></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Exposure</th>

<td>1/5000 sec</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Aperture</th>

<td>f/2.8</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Focal Length</th>

<td>185 mm</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>ISO Speed</th>

<td>500</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Exposure Bias</th>

<td>-2/3 EV</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Lens</th>

<td>EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<div>00Z0H7-377221584.jpg.36eb96b5ba81e2949d6f34bfd7cdb602.jpg</div>

<p>This isn't a great photo, but it's interesting. It's a parking lot at a hotel in Japan a couple of days ago. Notice how the cars are parked. Only three of 30 are nose in. The rest are backed in very neatly. This isn't staged or valet parking or anything like that. It's just how folks park over there.</p><div>00Z0Hj-377227584.jpg.ab4befe5263bcd3501c8a42073fdd8bd.jpg</div>

<p>I discovered a field of Opium poppies growing under licence for the production of Morphine near to where i live in Dorset UK, I had seen another photographers work and headed out on a hunt of the local area. When I eventually found them it was a bit late for the lilac pink Opium poppies but an intruder was lurking in amongst the seed heads. We do get fields of wild poppies locally too so i guess this was an escapee. I kind of like its cheekiness playing with the big boys.</p><div>00Z0Ii-377247584.jpg.7953b62464a5e5883f50e697486e8095.jpg</div>

<p>New project :-). Here's one from a series i did on the art installation my nice (Mayke Verhoeven) did for her batchelors degree for Fine art and Design in Education at the Hogeschool in Utrecht (HKU) exam. </p>

<div>00Z0Jz-377263584.jpg.05eb4b27dcace91bc8d27b768d8d1473.jpg</div>