Cult cameras

riz

<p>That's a good question. </p>

<p>What causes a camera (or anything) to acquire cult status, anyway? Rarity? Original cost? Quality? Or simply because enough people think it's neat and want it? </p>

<p>I can think of many things with cult status which have no intrinsic value; its so called collectability (and transaction price) artificially inflated by a frenzy of irrational desire to own it, until a time comes when no one wants it any more. </p>

<p>To my ear cult means some sort of faithful following that may be somewhat beyond reason. Holga and Lomo fit that bill. Leica as well. Maybe Hasselblad and Rolleiflex TLR. Canon and Nikon start to achieve that status in many people's minds as well, thinking of them as beyond perfect and above any comparison even if reason says otherwise. But for most people, all these, and other cameras, are just tools. Nothing to do with any cult, so one has to be careful not to generalise.</p>

<p>Robert Monaghan's "Cult Classics" site from ye olden web 1.0 days of yore was documenting that stuff in the late 1990s. The original site is defunct but may be cached somewhere, maybe on the Internet Archives. Photo.net's <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/">Classic Manual Cameras</a> forum is pretty much a love poem to that aspect of photography.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hexar AF (before I get slammed, I own one).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Me too, Kayam. If you don't know the 'secret sauce' recipe for that camera ,you can't even operate it and the manual is lost in the mountains of Kashmir and was not intelligible anyhow.... Now that's what I call "cult." The fraternal handshake- grip- equivalent kind of camera. Or more definitively, is Hexar AF an <strong>"occult </strong>camera<strong>." </strong></p>

<p>Leica M, Minolta XE and SRT series, Nikon F, Rolleiflex, Pentax K1000, Yashica Electro 35, Canon Canonet GIII, Minolta Hi-Matic 7s, Voigtlander Vito B, Kodak Retina, Olympus SP, Olympus XA, Olympus Stylus Epic, Argus C3, to name a few...<br /> <strong>John, that was very funny indeed! You hit the nail with this one :)</strong></p>

<p>The above is a good list. I would add the Yashica T3 "Eagle Eye", and the Yashica T4 Super D All Weather. These are P&S cameras with Zeiss lenses. I have them both and they take very nice photos. Right up there with my Nikon 35Ti.</p>

<p>I think "cultishness" develops around cameras that are "more than they should be" or "more than one would expect." Often they are lower-end models that have the luck of just the right design elements to make them superb. The Canon QL17 falls in that category with the Yashica Electro 35. If I were a starving artist or student or something, I could live easily with either of those basic rangefinders and not be losing a thing technically. </p>

<p> </p>