EF 24-70/2.8L is as rare as hens teeth in the UK

<p>Hi All,<br>

I am trying to get hold of the 24-70/2.8 here in the UK with absolutely no joy. Having said that, I'm just not prepared to pay the extra £200 on top of the lens from certain retailers taking advantage of the lack of supply. This post is really an information post in case there are other people who are getting as frustrated as I am trying to get hold of the glass they want.</p>

<p>I spoke to Canon UK today who informed me that production of the lenses in Japan is fine. The issue is with the shipping, as the ports are located in radiation contaminated areas and so they are being held there. Oh well, it looks like it is going to be a long wait.</p>

<p>James</p>

<p>Funny, in my neck of the woods (Western Canada), the lens is retailing for $1500 and is in good supply. I know this because I very recently did some "market research" before listing my copy for sale.</p>

<p>Apparently, the 70-200/2.8 L IS II is out of stock here, as are several of the L primes. And, of course, the 8-15/4 L, 200-400/2.8 L, and the new set of updated super-telephoto primes haven't even shown up yet.</p>

<p>Yes Jamie, I assume they will chuck in a free Geiger counter with every purchase :-)</p>

<p>I would rather buy the lens new Harry, simply for the warranty. The few used ones that I have seen the seller wants more than it is worth new. I'm on the waiting list at Park Cameras and have agreed to pay £989 but the ebay sellers wanted £1k+ for a used one, the cheeky wotsits.</p>