Best bang for buck tripod?

tim_whitley3

<p>The best "bang for the buck" tripod and head combination is one that you will gladly use because it is quick and easy to use with minimal inconvenience.<br>

My preference as an amateur is the Gitzo 2530 and RRS BH-40 for a versatile light-weight package. Combining this with a camera L-bracket and approriate lens plates I have a tool that is enjoyable to use and setup is a breeze. It just as easily supports my heaviest camera/lens 3.4 Kg (7.5 lbs.) or my P&S.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Manfrotto<br>

And I think somewhere along the line, Bogen & Manfrotto are now the same. (If not, . . . certain to get "flamed!")</p>

<p>I find that Adorama's website is a good place to research Tripods and Heads, regardless of the Manufacturer. They seem to represent a wide variety and provide good descriptions and specifications. You might also check out their "Used" selections.</p>

<p>Hope that helps!<br>

Best wishes,</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As noted, Bogen / Manfrotto are good and fairly inexpensive tripods.</p>

<p>For an even less expensive tripod, for years I used a Slik U212, and I found it worked quite well. If your rig is pretty light (2 or 3 pounds) it would probably be completely sufficient.</p>

<p>Scott,</p>

<p>I have a Manfrotto Carbon Fibre tripod from 10 years ago. If I had to buy again, it would be a carbon fibre Benro C series which can support at least what the 057B can. It is just my personal preference. That's all.</p>

<p>pick up a used leitz or marchioni tiltall tripod from ebay if you can get it for $100 or less. the newer ones don't hold up as well. they're basic, and a bit rough on the hands, but the weight is pretty good, they last forever, they're tall/fully functional, and they have a head built in.</p>

<p>I owned a Manfrotto 055ProB for many years and have only good things to say about it, other than the bulk and the weight. About a year ago I traded up to a Benro carbon fibre C-2581.</p>

<p>You simply cannot beat Benro for value and quality. Compare the $300 and change C-258 and variats, to the Gitzo 2540 and variants at around $800. I defy anyone to substantiate claims that the Gitzo is any better. It is well know that Benro in fact, started out as Gitzo's attempt at Chinese manufacturing. The Benro folks soon realized that they could make a better tripod than Gitzo and sell it directly to the consumer for 1/3 the price and still make a good buck.</p>

<p>Chasing the best "bang for the buck" tripod will end up being a most expensive exercise.</p>

<p>I now have about 5 tripods and there is always something that bugs me about my latest choice.</p>

<p>Get the most expensive tripod that you can afford, double (maybe even triple) your budget for the head and you will be on a good road. It won't be perfect but you will not regret it either.</p>

<p>Ian, above likes Benro, but my copy/version is so bad that I would never again buy this brand.</p>

<p>I had a Manfrotto 190XPROB, and I'm not sure I'd buy it again. I absolutely loved the tripod, but apparently the carbon 190s all have issues (or at least had issues) with the internal holds breaking, so that when you unlock a leg it just falls out of the tripod. It doesn't happen to all of them, but it happens enough that like the guy at Manfrotto was able to guess my problem when I said, "So there's something wrong with my 190X..." If you're using it in-studio that's not really an issue, but if you're hiking you don't want to worry about losing a leg. The 55X apparently does not have this issue, nor does the aluminum 190.</p>

<p>I ended up buying a Promaster CF tripod to replace it. If you're looking to pack light, that would be my recommendation. They have two series ... I forget the names, but there's one that looks like a Giottos (because it is a Giottos), and then there's one with really big and knobby leg locks. I got the one that looked like a Giottos, as those massive rubber leg twists on the other one actually added a lot of weight. Then I got the Manfrotto magnesium 3-way head, which weighs basically nothing. For travel/hiking, that's my recomendation. I've had that setup for about a year without a blip.</p>

<p>If you're not traveling with it I'm get the Manfrotto aluminum 55 legs. VERY sturdy, reasonable price. I also like the horizintal joystick grip (322, I think) for portraits and set pieces, as it's basically a super-quick adjusting ball head.</p>

<p>I would look at the Giottos MTL 9360B or MTL9361B tripods and the Giottos ballhead the MH1301 with a MH656 quick release stays in your price range. I have a 9360B tripod and it is very good for macro shots. I have used it with a ball head and a gimble head with no problems<br>

Jim</p>

<p>Pick the heaviest tripod you are able to carry, with a ball head (Arca Swiss or similar style ). The golden rule, and the truth. You going to figure out, sooner, or . . . later. Or! . . . maybe, never, and keep complaining of a unsharp images. But, . . . I know, . . . nobody listening.</p>

<p>I will assume you have already answered some personal questions about intended use and then the amount you are willing to spend? One can't help someone if they don't know all the criteria involved to determine the proper selection - how much are you willing to spend, the weight, material, height,etc? Recently, the cost of new photographic equipment has gone up significantly (US dollar plus price gouging). (My purchase last week of another Gitzo tripod was almost double the cost I paid about a year ago). Details....</p>