ME Super SE or X-570...help me decide

<p>Ok, heres the deal. I can get either of these for around $50 with the SMC m 50/2 or the MD 50/1.7 respectively. Im familiar with their stats and lenses available, Im just having trouble deciding. I think the ME super SE is kind of a rare bird, with the 570 not being terribly common, at least when compared with how many x700's there are out there.</p>

<p>Any input/help is welcomed. Weigh in on your favorite.</p>

<p>(edit)- The one I choose will be traveling on a motorcycle.</p>

<p>Minolta produced some fine lenses and film cameras. For future digital use, the MD/MC lenses will only fit mirrorless "thin" cameras with adapter and limited function. the Pentax K mount can be used with many different brand K mount film cameras also many digital reflex cameras with and without adapters. In summary I would opt for the ME Super, not necessarily for the body but for the lens future use. By the way both systems would be older with "parts no longer available" and usual seals and mirror bumpers needing replacement. I'd opt for a mechanical camera for motorcycle travel based on aging circuit boards and flex connectors along with other tired electronic components that have seen better days.</p>

<p>Paul, thx for the input. I actually would rather have a fully manual camera on the bike, like my FTb-N. I love that camera. However, the deal is that when I ride, I ride long distances and I dont like taking off my helmet. This may sound silly but I ride with Etymotic ER6 earplug/earphones in so I can litsten to music. Once these are comfortably in its a pain to take off the helmet and readjust everything, especially with as much as I would like to photograph while on the bike. I rode just the other day for about 5 hours (a fairly short trip for me) and my helmet didnt come off once.</p>

<p>My plan is to pull up to a worthy scene, pop up my flip-up helmet, pull the camera out of the tank bag, snap a pic or two, put camera back in bag, flip down helmet and ride off. What Im running into, and why I cant use the FTb-N as much as I would like to, is the size of the camera as I put it up to my eye. It HAS to fit under the helmet and leave room to use me to use the shutter. The FTb-N is just to big. My A-1 is slightly to large. My wifes Minolta x-370 fits just fine. Im almost positive the ME Super will work as well. Oddly enough, my A2e actually works ok since the pentaprism housing is low and sleek and the shutter is pretty far forward and low. Just kinda big to lug around on the bike.</p>

<p>I know what your thinking. I should get a MX then. Im kicking myself for passing up a beat up MX at Goodwill about a month ago for only 35 bucks. The thing is, again, I cant really fiddle with a shutter dial while the camera is up to my face because of the lack of room against the helmet foam. So what I need is an aperature priority camera so all I have to do is adjust the ring on the lens. Plenty of room for that. I could actually use the ME in manual since it has buttons and if I can use the shutter button I can use those as well.</p>

<p>So there it is. Thanks again Paul.</p>

<p>(edit)- I described my problem poorly. The real issue, in conjunction with the shutter dial problem, is the top of the pentaprism hitting the helmet foam while the eyeport is then to low for my eye.</p>

<p>For times when you are not riding, the X570 is easier to use in manual mode. The Minolta accepts a motor or a winder. It also accepts the PX series flash units which proivide TTL flash. A large percentage of Minolta X series cameras are in non-working condition because of dead capacitors. Once that problem is solved they are reasonably reliable. The X570, like the X700, has a very bright viewfinder. All of the 50/1.7 Minolta manual focus lenses are very good. I wouldn't consider the 50/2 Pentax lenses as good. The old 55/1.8 SMC Pentax is excellent and so is the 50/1.7 M but I don't care for the 50/2 lenses. I agree that being able to share lenses with your wife is also an advantage. </p>

<p>Les, awesome pic. Thanks for throwing that together for me. I knew the ME was a little smaller but Im basing the fit for the 570 off of my wifes 370, which is almost (but not quite) the same dimensions as you say. Im wondering if you could possibly measure the distance from the highest point of the pentaprism to the top of the eyeport on the back of the x700 and ME. Its this distance that is going to be the deciding factor.</p>

<p>And yes, sharing with the wife is always fun. Unless its STD's....then, not so fun.</p>

<p>Nice collection BTW.</p>

<p>The ME is also reputed to have one of the excellent bright high-magnification Pentax finders, of similar caliber to the excellent ones on the MX and LX.<br>

Of course, in the same era Minolta had invented some really excellent high-brightness finder screen technology that they eventually licensed to other manufacturers.</p>

<p>The X-570 also has aperture priority (and manual with full info in the finder) and the 50/1.7 MD lens is really outstanding in sharpness - I'd be very hard pressed to find a 50mm that's noticeably sharper.</p>

<p>But I'll tell you what I tell everybody, which is that if you want the high water mark of the small Minolta what you want is the XD11. It's smaller than the X-570, has A, S and M modes, is one of the products of the Minolta/Leica collaboration and had excellent build quality (made of metal, with a vertical shutter). If it has a failing it's that the leatherish cover shrinks and peels, but I just take that as an excuse to re-cover it with a cameraleather.com product. Mine is brown.</p>

<p>Like most people that i have experienced responses from I could tell you about other cameras you might like and what i think you should get, but for some reason i feel like just addressing your question with the cameras you asked to choose between. ;-)<br /> I believe that the Light meter with LED display on the Minolta x570 is way better (also shows actually speed camera is set to unlike the x700 and just like the x370) and the fact that it will also have TTL flash capability is another huge plus. Add to that the fact you already have another MD camera and set up and using this would be almost exactly the same and you can swap lenses between bodies and you will always have a backup for your system as you get more lenses.<br /> So i would go with the x570</p>

<p>The ME Super is tiny, and will work well, if anything will. Put some foam in your tank bag or wherever you carry it to help attenuate vibration.<br>

Consider also the Olympus OM cameras. The OM-1 is of course fully manual, and has the shutter speed ring around the lens mount instead of on top. It also has no flash shoe on top unless you attach one, further reducing the likelihood of interference.<br>

Maybe Les could post a comparison between it and the ME Super.</p>

<p>Always one to tilt at windmills (whatever that means) I suggest looking at a Canon F-1 with a speed finder. It was made for shooting while wearing helmet, goggles, gas mask, whatever. A bit more than $50, I'm afraid, but may be exactly what you're looking for.</p>

<p>I would go with the ME Super - there's almost no smaller camera, the lenses are decent, and the push-button shutter speed selection is one of those great ideas that never really got any traction - still a great idea, though. My one concern, as others have voiced, is the issue of the age of the ME Super and the question of how well the electronics will hold up. Consider the Olympus OM-2n - auto exposure, <strong><em>very</em></strong> reliable, and, if you remove the detachable flash shoe, a very small and low-profile SLR with a superb viewfinder. Also, if you want to use manual, the lens mount shutter speed dial should be perfectly accessible when the camera is up against your helmeted face. Brilliant lenses, also.</p>

<p>If sharing Minolta lenses, here is my 2 cents worth: For capability (aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual) the Minolta XD series. If batteries fail it can still be used manually at 1/100 second or B. For TTL flash plus apeture priority and manual, the X-570. For more battery independance, consider the Minolta SRT series. Battery is only needed for metering so you get full range of shutter speeds. Some models (SRT 102, 202, and some 201's) have split image focusing.</p>

<p>Hi. The Minolta 50/1.7 is a notably better lens than the SMC 50/2. Pentax has 50/1.7 and 50/1.4 that are quite good but the 50/2 is a good notch below. </p>

<p>On the other hand: Minolta bodies of that era (X700 X570) are notorious for capacitor failure which will lock the mirror up and render the camera DOA. I agree with the respondent who said you should try to find an XD11. They are marvelous.</p>

<p>I've loved using the X570. The Pentax ME Super is agreat camera but I haven't used it enough to get accustomed to the electronic shutter/aperture controls. It is a beautiful camera to hold in the hand and look at however.</p>

<p>I strongly suggest getting one of the better 50mm lenses if you go with the Pentax. You won't regret it. </p>

<p>Are you able to check the cameras before buying? The Minolta capacitor problem is easy to identify. Put 2 SR44 or LR44 batteries in an turn it on. Look through the finder and touch the shutter button and verify that the meter LEDs light up. Now press the shutter release - if the shutter fires, the capacitor is fine, but if the capacitor is bad the shutter will not release and the LEDs will turn off.</p>

<p>Wow, thanks so much to everyone who replied. Lots of good info there. I will touch on some highlights.</p>

<p>Fred- Interesting thing the speedfinder for the F1. That might just solve the problem but...I dont have an F1 nor any budget to pick one up right now. Bit of an odd looking thing to. But an F1 is on my short list since I love the FTb so much. When I pick one up I will look a little harder at this. Thanks for sharing that.</p>

<p>Dan- Thanks for the info about the XD11. I googled it up and I really like what I see. I wasnt aware of this camera or how it compared to the X line and so far Im impressed. This may just supersede my desire for a 570. Thanks to you and everyone who recommended it.</p>

<p>So I was kind of leaning toward the Minolta anyway but this whole XD thing has pretty much pushed me to brand M. Im also liking what I see on prices for the 45/2 pancake lens. Can anyone give me some info on this particular lens?</p>

<p>Also, can anyone measure the distance from the top of the camera to the top of the eyeport on an XD11? It looks like it will work from pictures but it would be nice to know before I purchase one.</p>

<p>Thanks again everyone.</p>

<p>I use a 45/2.0 on an XD all the time. It's a great lens - not the sharpest Minolta when pixel peeping, but it gives a nice bokeh and you can't complain about the size. I'm not sure I'd need both it and the 50/1.7 if I didn't have a pretty big Minolta collection - they're not really that different and to my eye the 50/1.7 is a bit sharper.</p>

<p>Top of XD-11 hot shoe to top of glass in viewfinder measures just short of 3/4".</p>

<p>By the way, the nice thing about the speedfinder is you can rotate the eyepiece so it faces straight back for standard shooting, or angles up for waist-level shooting. Might even be beneficial in your situation.</p>

<p>Andy- Im looking at an xd right now but it comes with the 45mm. My wife has the 50 on hers but I assure you this would only be the start of the collection. :)</p>

<p>Fred- Thanks for the measurement. But I just searched for a tape measure to see the distance on my wifes 370 and I cant find one. Arrrrgghh!! Can anyone measure it up for me since I know the 370 has clearance?</p>

<p>A Arun- Believe me, if money grew on trees I would. :)</p>