successor to the 5D Mk II ?

larry_luckham

<p>I do fire photography including fire and arson investigation work for a fire department. My current workhorse body is a 5D Mk II with a 40D as backup. The backup has gotten beaten up over the years and has been experiencing problems. So, I'm contemplating replacing it.<br>

Now what I would normally do is to buy a newer body to replace the primary and rotate that to the backup position. But, the Mk II is pretty much the latest and greatest available. What could possibly be wrong with having 2 X Mk II's? Not a thing! On the otherhand, I could also just replace the backup with a less expensive body, maybe a 60D, or something. No bad, though it would add the confusion of not matching sensor size and having to always be conscious of the difference.<br>

Another possibility would be to wait for Canon to hit the market with the Mk III, or whatever the successor might be to the Mk II. Whether that seems like a good idea depends on what the rumors say about what a Mk III might look like, and when it might hit the market.<br>

Does anyone have any information, or even rumors, on Canon's plans?<br>

Happy snapping!</p>

<p>Rumors are just that, but with the 7D approaching 2 years old, the 60D just came out, the 5D II replacement seems like the next logical release. But it's all speculation. Rumors tend to be more about what people hope to see in a new body more than what will actually be there.</p>

<p>If you're satisfied with the performance of your 40D as a backup, why not pick up a used one that's in better shape than the one you have? Or a 5D Mk I if matching sensor size is an issue? Assuming the backup is less often used, there's no reason to move your 5D II into the backup slot if you don't need it to do so.</p>

<p>Here is the only place you can find out for sure. Pretty much always on the spot for predictions:<br>

<a href="http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi">link</a><br>

The problem, although it could also be an opportunity, with a 60D or some such, is that it is a different format.<br>

On the one hand, that will make all your current lens lineup do 'double duty', but on the other, if you swap out lenses you won't get the same effect on both bodies...</p>

<p>I'm sure Canon has the replacements at least on the drawing board, maybe even prototypes in test. But then whatever release date was planned is likely to be delayed until the next season since shipping, power and manufacturing is in disarray. I have already noticed both new and used Canon gear starting to creep up in price, so shortages of current gear may cause a further delay of new models since Canon will need to refill the pipeline at every level.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>"I'm sure Canon has the replacements at least on the drawing board, maybe even prototypes in test. But then whatever release date was planned is likely to be delayed until the next season since shipping, power and manufacturing is in disarray." </p>

<p>But on the other hand, an early release of a 5D III would provide a surge of cash flow to jump start a company that had just experienced downtime. </p>

<p>Well, and don't affect the issues around the earthquake - if some of the critical parts will be coming out of a single source plant in the NE Japan, then things could get delayed. If the rolling blackouts continue - things could get delayed.</p>

<p>Some of their new lenses that were announced last fall still aren't shipping - problems with production I hear.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The way Canon does EOS -- the 5DIII will be the 7D in full frame.</p>

<p>Just as the 5D was the FF of 20D/30D, and the 5D2 a step above the 40D, the 5D3 will be FF 7D essentially priced at $1999? >>>> Ask the Magic 8 Ball.</p>