7D Mode Dial Lock

doug_landrum

<p>I dropped off the 7D at Canon's Irvine, CA repair facility a week ago last Tuesday for the mode lock modification. Canon had the camera ready for pick up a day later on Wednesday afternoon. The work is perfect. The mode dial lock works well. You press the button in the center of the dial to release and then move the dial. After a week of using the camera, I like the adaptation. <br /> <br /> The Av mode is locked in most of the time, I use manual sometimes and I have set a custom mode for night sports. My dial flipped too often to an unwanted mode when I slung the camera over my shoulder - too many botched shots. Nevermore.<br /> <br /> My 20D mode dial never had the problem of changing. The 7D mode dial is just too tall and too easy to turn without the lock.<br /> <br /> What is your experience?</p>

>>> My dial flipped too often to an unwanted mode when I slung the camera over my shoulder - too many

botched shots. Nevermore.

Same here, and even with the strap wrapped around my wrist. I can count on the mode dial moving a

couple times a week. Need to get the mod done. Glad to hear it worked well for you...

Yeah, never had that issue with my 20D or 450D.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I've shot with a 7D for over 18 months and never, not once, has the mode dial moved inadvertently. However the QCD gets bumped once in a while but I can see EC settings in the VF so no biggie. I also have a 60D and it came with a locking mode dial. Hate it. I constantly forget to press the unlock button and it's very difficult to keep it depressed from P or Av all the way to Movie mode. I usually need to release and reposition my grip to get it rotated all the way. PITA--wish it could be replaced with a nonlocking dial.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>My 7D is more prone to unexpected shifting than either 5D model or any of earlier x0D models I've owned. The 7D mode dial is the tallest of any model. I don't plan to have the dial modified by Canon, and have just got into the habit of checking it often as with checking any shooting parameter. But, yes, it has caught me at times, but so have the other models although less so.</p>

<p>+1 on the mod...</p>

<p>I had it done in early February here in NJ. Fast turnaround (I probably could have had same-day service...), perfect work. I love that the dial is always in the same place I left it.</p>

<p>Just go through ALL your camera settings to make sure they are what you like. I'm still finding things that were reset during the work. Probably a result of their standard process, or from the backup battery removal.</p>

<p>My 7D dial has moved a few times. It is a faulty design by Canon. I'm with Bob Atkins - if it was a free conversion, read fix, I'd have it done - but since I don't shoot professionally any longer I'm not paying $100 to fix something Canon got wrong. <br>

Canon should "man up" and fix their mistakes for free. Why should we have to pay $1500 plus and then turn-a-round and pay again to fix something that was wrong in the first place? Come on Canon, do the right thing. </p>

<p>There were a lot of complaints that prior mode dials were difficult to use with gloves, so I suspect Canon made the 7D dial taller and closer to the edge for cold weather shooters. My old 50D is more recessed. Nevertheless no matter how much I rub the damn thing on my gut I can't get it to turn. Perhaps you need a more lumpy stomach to rotate the mode dial than I have? Or a rodeo belt buckle with textured edges? Even after 3 or 4 beers my gut was not lumpy enough to turn the dial. I'm guessing a locking button would make glove operation of the dial impossible...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Thanks for all the responses - pro and con. It looks like a controversial topic. <br>

Larry West made an important observation. After getting my 7D back from Canon, I did have to go through all my settings to make sure they were correct - quite a few changed, some did not. As I recall, my custom functions generally stayed as I set them. Other menu settings - such as the viewfinder grid, color space, quality (from RAW to JPEG) and focus point settings changed.<br>

If you get the modification, then recheck all your settings - including the custom settings on the Mode Dial.<br>

Puppy Face, the 7D does not have a mode dial setting for video. The video mode is selected from a separate live view button on the 7D. I almost never reset the mode dial when shooting and would be unlikely to do so in the cold.</p>