New to the DSLR World

<p>Hello everyone!<br>

As the subject says, I am new to the DSLR world. I bought a used XT a little over a month ago and I've been having a lot of fun with it! I mainly just bought it to take beautiful pictures of my 3 beautiful children. I don't have a website really- I'm just a novice :-)But I can say I've had a few really excellent pictures!<br>

I do regret not going for a newer model of Rebel- as mine does not have live view and I am kind of working to get myself a Rebel with Live View (possibly trade or sell mine and then buy another used camera- I'm silly). I'm only 26 years old but I am ISO a live view Rebel because my eyes sometimes give me head aches when I look through the view finder- and I think that it might be a little easier to be able to take pictures of my subjects if I didn't have to have my face tied up to my camera! Any suggestions on this process are welcome.<br>

And I should add, I'm originally from Buffalo, NY but now live in Newport News, VA. My occupation is quite simply, "stay at home mom". My oldest child (3 yrs old) has cancer and I would like to become a better photographer so that someday I could offer my services, free of charge to other families in our situation.<br>

Thanks, look forward to learning more!</p>

<p>Rachel</p><div>00YTXQ-343265584.thumb.jpg.c4d84b8a9ce81d9c68a93074ba54a5f0.jpg</div>

<p>Great photo Rachel - welcome - Live View is NOT what you are used to, not the same as viewing the image on the back of a point and shoot digicam. Geneally, this is an advanced mode used for studio/field photography using MANUAL FOCUS. You should be fine with what you have while you are learning.<br>

Here is a description direct from Canon (40D)<br>

Live View Function is a powerful feature on the EOS 40D. It enables viewing your subjects directly on the huge 3-inch LCD monitor. It's easy to magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focus. But now, one press of the AF-on button gives instant access to AF; Live View Function returns as soon as the button is released. Users can even choose a grid overlay, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In the Studio, Live View Function can be used remotely via a computer through the EOS 40D's USB connection, or wirelessly or via Ethernet with the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A attached. Live View Function also adds a totally new method for near-silent shooting, with two silent shooting modes. A new AF ON button, positioned for easy reach with the right thumb, can instantly allow AF whenever it's depressed in Live View Function. (Live View Function is temporarily cleared for AF, and returns immediately when the user's thumb is removed from the button.)<br>

To be fair, I have not used this feature very much, others may chime in, but for kid photography I do not think you will find this practical, unless you can get them to sit very still!</p>

<p>Rachel,</p>

<p>Welcome to Photo.net. I can only echo what Mark said above. Live View on a DSLR is not the same as a point and shoot. By having a viewfinder to look through you're able to use a faster focusing system than what you get with a point and shoot. Perfect for capturing any 3 year-old on the go. </p>

<p>My wife and I both really enjoy photography. We've owned an XT since just before our nearly 5 year-old was born and we added a T1i last year prior to the birth of our second child. I still shoot with the XT every day and can say with certainty that the Live View the T1i offers is never, ever used when photographing our kids. Even with advances to Live View in the T2i and T3i, I would not use it.</p>

<p>If the viewfinder is giving you a headache, check to make sure that you have the diopter adjusted correctly. It's the little dial on the right-side of the viewfinder. Assuming you're either shooting with good vision or with glasses on/contacts in, the dial should be set in the center (line up the mark on the camera body with the center mark on the dial). </p>

<p>With digital, the cost of practice is nearly zero, and practice is what will improve your photography the most. Good luck and best wishes and health to you and your family.</p>

Dear Rachel,

Welcome to photo.net. Like you, I am not a photo professional...I bought Canon T2i to take pictures of my family 3

months ago, and am still figuring it out. I haven't used XT, but I assume it is a great camera. A professional photographer

friend of mine told me that type of camera for a novice does not make a big difference. Once you have an experience

shooting with regular DSLR, then you should go for more expensive bodies. Softwares like photoshop elements put life

in pictures. I am not very good at editing, but some people spend hours editing pictures to get the right colors.

As far as live mode vs. View finder is concerned, other member friends have explained nicely. The only thing I would add to it- did

you try to adjust view finder settings. May be you are getting headaches because of wrong dioptre settings.

Photo.net is the best place to seek advice, I do it all the time. Members are very nice to share their experiences and

steer needy towards right direction. Have fun taking pictures of you family and I hope your oldest gets well soon.

Regards,

Gurpreet.