Is it fun to make your own prints....?

<p>So I don´t really need to own a printer. In fact, in 3 years I have only printed 5 of my pics. But I was wondering if having a printer at home (thinking about an epson R2880 or canon PRO9500) can bring some extra photo pleasure. I know about the running costs, and the convenience of using a comercial printing system, but I'm not talking about money, just about some kind of weird pleasure printing and gifting copies to my friends and family. Do any of you print A3+ just for this....?</p>

<p>I wouldn't call it fun, its more tedious and time consuming. Satisfying perhaps. When I want prints I'd usually prefer doing my own. Usually on A3 paper but smaller than A3, not necessarily in standard sizes. Whilst it can be time consuming, and it can be costly in paper and ink, there are wide choices in paper, size, format etc. You print when you want and how you want, and I think its probably no more hassle getting what I want at home than it would be sending it out. If I just want small traditional glossies I might get them done on line with Photobox, that has worked pretty well and not expensive. I might have to sacrifice something in order to fit standard size, but in this case if the objective is to get several small copies done quick and easy, thats what I'd do.</p>

<p>However people don't seem so interested in these. They seem to prefer my home printing.</p>

<p>Sometimes I try chemical contact printing, e.g. POP or Cyanotype, which I do regard as fun, or at least a kind of relaxation, but the results aren't that great. Given time and space I would try more serious chemical printing.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I started out as a printer which led me to photography, so printing is the bottom line for me. I still have a darkroom and I enjoy making making fine B&W prints since looking at negatives is not very exciting. I also purchased a bunch of software such as photoshop to help me make custom prints from home. Of course I also send out work to be printed, but only if it's high volume. </p>

<p>I like having prints on my walls, when they're good examples of my work, but I wouldn't say running them through the printer is fun. I do enjoy making prints from my film negatives, however, because there's more creativity in the process than with the printer.</p>

<p>Both kinds of prints look nice on the wall!</p>

I'm not to sure what the problem is. If you just shoot digital and drop the media card off at a lab to have prints made, then I can see why there is a question. But, if you use Photoshop or other digital editing on your photos, then that is most of the work. After Photoshopping either send the file to a printer on your desk or send it to Mpix (or other photo printing service). Not much work involved with that either way.
James G. Dainis

<p>Just keep in mind that it's not as simple as dropping in some paper and pushing a button when it comes to producing a quality print. There's a reason that most world class photographers utilize the skills and expertise of world class printers...and I'm not talking about the machinery. If you decide to buy a professional grade printer, just be prepared for the frustration that comes with the initial learning curve and the resulting $10 bills you'll see disappear iinto the trash every time you foul up a print. And, keep in mind that the more complex the printer the greater the opportunity for for some kind of malfunction. from time to time. For instance: At one point I kept getting tiny scratches when printing on glossy paper. I took the printer to a local Epson service center and the first thing they did was give it a thorough cleaning, thinking that the problem might simply be a bit of dust. Result: more scratches. Next, they practically disassembled it to a pile of parts. More scratches. Then suddenly, just as I was about to send it back to Epson...the scratches went away. Would buying/using a printer bring some fun to your life? I think it largerly depends on how you react to technical challenges. I'm just not much of a techno-geek. If my car were as difficult to operate as my printer...I'd buy a good bicycle. But ...after throwing out all this negativity, I must say that yea...it's a lot of fun when things go right and you have that beautiful print in your hand! </p>

<p>Great different point of views. I like to hear about "controlling my work from begining to end", and will have to think about the technical skills on printers, papers and inks I'll have to acquire. I'm still on the fence hearing your thoguhts. BTW I can get a new R2880 for about 500$ and I think it's a good deal (am I wrong?)</p>

<p>My take on the matter is just the opposite of what Steve Smith wrote above. Thousands of hours in the darkroom making both color and B&W prints was, in part, what drove me out of photography 30 years ago. </p>

<p>Coming back to it in the digital age is an absolute joy! The degree of control one has in the digital domain <strong>far</strong> exceeds anything available in the darkroom. And you don't have to suffer all those stinkin' chemicals!</p>

<p>But it's only "fun" if seeing exactly what you envision come to life on paper delights you. If, like me, you find that exciting, then yes, it's <strong>great </strong>fun. I just bought a 24" HP printer and I'm having a wonderful time with it. Now, if I could just find an inexpensive, yet elegant, way to frame all these big prints...</p>

<p>I bought an R2400 about three years ago, and regret not buying the R3800 (i think that the correct number) for the following reasons: the R2400 is an ink-hog (when compared to the 3800)...and the cost differential between the two would have been quickly made up, as the R3800 uses much less ink for the same size print, not to mention the obvious advantage of being about to print 17" wide. I thought I'd researched both well...but obviously not. I think it's great that you're here in the forum getting advice from as many of your fellow photographers as possible. </p>

<p>As for ink and paper...buying the highest quality is actually not that expensive. IMHO...it makes no sense to buy a quality printer if you're not going to use quality ink and paper. Trash in...trash out. I primarily print on Hahnemuhle paper, although there are obviously many great papers to choose from. Hahnemuhle is one of the best papers out there, as well as one of the most expensive...but even so, 13"x19" sheets cost less than $5. As best I've been able to calculate...the ink for that size print costs about the same. So $10 for a 13"x19" print...less than what you'd pay for someone else to print the picture on a lesser quality paper. </p>

<p>I wouldn't call it fun. But the joy in it is best had after you've had a lab not print your work the way you think it should be printed. Seeing a kick ass image you've captured printed the way you KNOW it should be printed is a thrill (despite the pain in the ass aspects of printing).</p>

<p>Greg, Just curious...have you done any printing on canvas? If you like the look, it's a lot less expensive than framing the same sized prints. I use a printing service that uses the best quality materials available...and can have a 25"x50" canvas gallery wrap produced for around $350. When selling my prints, I've had much more success with the canvas wraps, for three reasons. 1) people seems to prefer the "look" of the canvas, and 2) they cost less, and 3) no problems with the frame style that <em>I've</em> chosen...clashing with their decor.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Greg, Just curious...have you done any printing on canvas?</p>

</blockquote>

<p> John,<br>

I think that canvas wrap is a great way to go for landscapes and other fine art pictures. But I do mostly aerial and architectural work for money and ultra close-up work for fun, and in all of these areas detail rendering is paramount. Canvas texture tends to interfere with that goal. (I'm embarrassed to reveal how much I've spent on medium format digital backs and high resolution close-up lenses in pursuit of fine detail!)</p>

<p> But thank you for the suggestion, and any other thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.<br>

-- Greg</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Greg, I understand and agree...and almost mentioned that canvas certainly doesn't work well for all types of images. I wish I could afford to be as embarassed as you apparently are because of the how much you've spent on medium format equipment! lol I'd love to do some work in that format...but the cash flow is prohibitive at present. Thanks for your response, John</p>

<p>I would normally start a note like this with a disclaimer like "maybe I'm weird", but I'll have to acknowledge that, when it comes to this issue, there's no maybe. I'm totally weird. Whacked. Down the rabbit hole...</p>

<p>I love inkjet print making. I love drawing, sketching, and painting, and I always think about media along with image. I keep over 2 dozen different inkjet (and "sort of" compatible) papers around. Also inkjet compatible silk (real and synthetic) and canvas. I look at an image on the 30 inch Dell, and think "what paper does this belong on?". I have a 24 inch and a 17 inch Epson, and a small rack of 13 inch Epson 2200s. Some of those have their inks changed pretty constantly. One is almost always loaded with a 7 tone carbon B&W ink set that I dilute myself and use for both B&W printing and making "digital negatives" on transparency material for platinum, gum, Vandyke, cyanotype, and carbon in the darkroom. Another has a variable tone 4 dilution set.</p>

<p>And I can swap just 2 carts on the big Epson and go 4 black, 3 "toner" and do a quick purge for some really amazing B&W. Then swap back to color.</p>

<p>It's actually "traditional" darkroom work that always seemed "wrong" to me. Everyone always talks about "air dried fiber". That's <strong>double wrong</strong>. Fiber is Jell-O gelatin smeared over way-too-smooth paper, and "air dried" means the printer was <strong>too lazy to dry it right</strong> with ferotype plate and wax.</p>

<p>Jose, for me there is a certain thrill to actually printing my own (I use a Canon Pro 9000). The best comparison for me is from back when I did B&W printing and would watch the print emerge in the developer tray. I am pretty obsessive about all the technical color management stuff, calibrated monitor, correct paper profiles, the expensive inks and papers, etc, but there is always a subtle difference between the final image on the monitor and what comes out of the printer. Since I am obsessive, it is rare that the difference is huge or bad, but it is different, maybe because for me the print is always is what has defined a photograph. So I hit "Print" on the computer, the printer grinds and clanks, and I watch, line at a time, as something I can hold or hang on the wall emerges. Silly? Probably. Fun? Maybe too strong. Pleasurable? For sure. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Greg Peterson - Now, if I could just find an inexpensive, yet elegant, way to frame all these big prints...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I often display my big prints as "scrolls", freely hanging media, attached to a rod at the top and a weighted rod at the bottom. This works especially well with silk, "artsy" papers, silk, rice paper, silk, canvas, and did I say silk? And they're easy to change, you can either roll them, or hang a bunch in a closet.</p>

<p>I also have some nice looking, fairly neutral frames set up with "quick releases" holding in the backing board, like you often use for mounting mirrors to walls. I can pull a print and mount up another in minutes.</p>

<p>When I purchased my first DSLR I also set myself up with an Epson R800, at the time this was the 'hot ticket' for home DSLR printing. The first thing I learned is how much time it takes to keep the printer color calibrated. Every time I replenish the ink or switch out to different paper I had to recalibrate. I ended up with a half dozen or so printer profiles for the various papers. If I replenished any color other than black or clear I had to run a test to see if the printer needed recalibration. Once I got it dialed in recalibration was rare but I still had to do a test with every ink change. </p>

<p>I learned how much it really costs to make one 12 x 8 or 10 x 8 print. Like others point out - I find for every 'keeper' I put at least a couple or more into the trash. I had a lot of trouble with consistency between prints. For example, when printing two or more identical photos they rarely turn out identical colors. I learned this is from the ink level in each tank going down - not running dry - just being consumed. I set up the 'Niagra' remote ink reservoir system and this helped, however, I had to color calibrate the printer all over again. One hidden cost of printing at home is all the time in setup and calibration. What does it matter if a printer will crank out a color photo every X number of seconds when it takes me 20 minutes or more to let the printer warm up, clean its heads, run a calibration test, proof the test, make a tweak (or not) before I can even begin to print?! </p>

<p>One hot summer I did not use the printer for a month or more and the inks turned to goo which destroyed the printer...</p>

<p>Nowadays I proof with a cheap little Epson PictureMate 4 x 6 printer. If it looks good from this printer then I order up prints on-line and am always satisfied with the results. I am frequently tempted to get another high-end inkjet printer. The prices are falling like stones! But with the prices constantly coming down I think I can hold off until a 'real' professional quality printer is within my budget. If that day comes I'll set it up with an inexpensive PC dedicated as a print server.</p>

<p>But until then I will stay with ordering my prints from the professionals.</p>

<p>Yes. Fun. Satisfying. Absolute control over your own output. Eight hours with an excellent frame of mind, a headset blasting music, and a dark air conditioned room with zero distractions. The end to a perfect work week. Two days shooting, one day processing the B&W film at home (E6 gets farmed out), and one day in the dark room printing. Three days at the beach and generally just hanging out. </p>

<p>Once you get the hang of it, yes, it is rewarding. I have an Epson RX585 - and all in one that does 8.5x11 and I love it. My mom and mother-inlaw usually ask me to print off a 4x6 or 5x7 when they visit. Once you've calibrated your monitor and get the prints matching (I am lucky - mine are very close to what I see when I have Protoshop control the output) it's just a matter of loading up a sheet, setting the print output and waiting for a couple of minutes. I am happy with the quality (I use the premium Epson paper) and IMO they look better than the prints from the big box store's kiosks.</p>

<p>In three years you have only printed five of your pictures? What do you do with the rest? Are you shooting for publication or web use so there's no need for prints? Or are we talking about snapshots and you just haven't bothered to print? If that's latter is the case, I would urge you to print, print, print, whether you do it yourself or send the files somewhere. Keep in mind that just about any computer in the world today can read a jpg on a CD. But a jpg on a CD 20-30 years from now will be about as useful as a WordPerfect file on a 5.25 inch floppy is today. If you don't print your pictures, they will be lost to your grandchildren as they throw away all of Grandpa Greg's little silver disks that don't fit into whatever they're using for computers in 2041.</p>