Kodak's brute

<p>Nice presentation, Gene. I wouldn't say the Medalist II is relatively cheap, though. One would be lucky to find a clean , working specimen for under $200 these days. <br>

Same goes for it's other "brutish" cousin, the Kodak Chevron. Both are extremely solid picture-takers and definitely worth respooling both color and BW untill your fingers bleed.<br>

Wish I still had some Agfa APX - nice stuff ; you have a secret stash somewhere, Gene ?</p>

<p>Rare, in my part of the world, and a truly macho classic camera. Great presentation, <strong>Gene</strong> and fine images; "the falls" has to be a winner. I'm intrigued by the way Kodak cameras of this era seemed to have a sort of "military" look about them, as if they've been built of spare parts left over from a gunsight, or something. The old Kodak 35 RF has shades of the same "machine" appearance.</p><div>00YOOI-339489584.jpg.66e1ece8a990f3f63f98fa5475a62034.jpg</div>

<p>Excellent speciman you have there Gene. They are truly beautiful brutish cameras. The lenses in both the I and II are supurb. I will say that they are not the most ergonomic to hand hold. Work a lot better on a tripod. I had both I and II for awhile until I lost my mind and sold them. Too expensive now for me to replace. Here are my memories.</p>

<div>00YOOv-339495584.jpg.c9faa603f21917a3a0cb454582445208.jpg</div>

<p>I've said it before and I'll say it again, there just isn't any better lens than the 5 element Ektar on the Medalist. Add that to the flattest film plane and you got a superb photo-taking machine. It seems to be one of those combinations that give what I call "micro-contrast" and super fine detail. The Medalist I and II are not just cameras, they are investments. I have two Medalist I's and one Medalist II. If I run across any more at a cheap price I'll buy those also. I just love'm! JohnW</p>

<p>I had one and loved it. I sold it, but only after getting another one that had been converted to 120 by Ken Ruth. I also have the sheet film and extension backs for it. The lens has the same formula as the Ektars Kodak made for the first Hasselblads. I had one of those, too. The falls shot is lovely, Gene.</p>

<p>Wonderful stuff, from such a beastly camera. It truly looks so industrial clutching that fine piece of glass inisde. Loved all photos especially tonality and texture of the barn shots. One day I will obtain a Medalist II.</p>

<p>The images of the barns, the wooden sides, looked very similar to the results I got with my Medalist I and Kodak BW400CN (Dangit Kodak! bring it back in 120 format!).<br>

I completely agree with everything said, great lens, sturdy camera and a great weight.<br>

I said I was going to respool some film in the previous medalist topic..and I haven't...does that make me a bad person?! Anyway. Going to give it a try with Ilford XP2.</p>

<p>Anyway, Great stuff Gene. Thanks for sharing!</p>