Vintage Burke and James Developing Tank

<p>Hello everyone!<br>

I recently just came across a brand new vintage Burke and James 35mm single reel developing tank. The reel itself seems very easy to load, and the over all design of the tank is very simple, but the main question I have is, "has anyone used these tanks before?" Even as simple as these tanks seem are they reliable? Are they fairly water tight? Are they light tight and can they easily be used to develop film at the kitchen sink (once the film is loaded of course!)? Any feedback on this tank would be grealy appreciated, I hope I don't have to waste a roll of film in it to find out! Thanks for your responses.</p>

<p>B+J were not manufacturers. It was a big photography store in Chicago who also sold re-badged gear. So, no telling who originally made your tank. It's an old steel tank and reel? It should work fine as long as the spiral has never been bent. They are just about always light tight (never heard of one not being), and almost always dribble a bit. You are more likely to waste a roll learning how to load the spiral.</p>

<p>If it can be agitated by inversion, fine. If it's a bakelite tank that requires "swizzle stick" agitation, it's rather suspect, since it's hard to get good agitation that way.<br>

If it's a stainless steel tank with a friction fit black plastic cap, check that the plastic hasn't cracked. That's how those lids fail, leaking liquid and light!<br>

A used Honeywell Nikor tank and reel are very affordable.<br>

Any daylight tank can be used to develop film at the kitchen sink. I use the laundry sink.</p>

<p>Hi Matthew,</p>

<p>I hesitate to disagree with you but I'm a former VP of Burke and James, the company dates to 1896 until the 1980's when the then sister companies, BBOI and B&J went bankrupt due to embezzelment ,manufactured cameras, lenses, graphic arts equipment, forensic equipent, lighting equipment and God knows what all. They bought the original Goerz lens company from Zeiss in about 1927. B&J also had contrators manufacature for them and did import/export. Their most important import and distribution camera was the German Korelle MF SLR until WWII prevented it further.<br>

Lynn</p>