Konica Auto S2 for $4.99

CosteaM

<p>Couple of weeks or so ago I started again my rounds at the Goodwill and Thrift stores where I live, looking for that forgotten “user”. I was lucky to find this nice Konica Auto S2 in very good working condition for only $4.99. It’s not like it was new; just had some minor problems:<br>

- Self timer not working but I can leave with that – all shutter speeds work well<br>

- Battery dead but it was a mercury 656 no longer produced but then I can leave without the light meter. I use a handheld meter anyway. In the mean time I tested the light meter with a silver oxide + battery adaptor and it works very well.<br>

- The RF mirror is cloudy but I opened up the top and figure there is no dirt inside, it is just that the golden film is probably worn out. I know I’m not supposed to touch the mirror so if anyone has ideas on how to improve the viewfinder condition, I’m listening.<br>

- Light seals were all melted. Luckily I still have some material left from my last purchase from Jon Goodman and I was able to replace all seals.</p>

<p>Took the new member of my collection for a ride and here are few shots. Conclusion is that I’m very much impressed with the quality of the Hexanon lens.</p>

<p>Mihai, I have cleaned many (probably at least 20) Konica Auto SII mirrors and never had any problem. When I take the top off, and then remove the little metal cover that covers the RF, I clean every side of every piece of glass that I can get at with a cotton swab and some alcohol diluted in water. I did ruin the beam splitter mirror on a Konica C35 one time but, that entire camera was filthy and didn't look like it had been taken very good care of. I have never had any problem with the Auto S2. Now, I have to make the disclaimer that I cannot guarantee you the same luck but, I have gotten very good results and, like I said, never had a problem.<br>

By the way, I like your shots with the Konica. What film and developer did you use?</p>

<p>Hi Tom,<br>

Thanks for the advice; Honestly I'm tempted to try; If anything goes wrong I can always canibalize the mirror from a defunct RF. This time I used Ilford FP4 - 125 ISO exposed at 50 ISO and developed in D-76 1:1 for 7min 55sec (this is based on my personal EI).<br>

Outside I measured light with my Soligor Spotmeter - I'm kind of afraid to pull that out in a croud; the damn thing looks like a gun :-)</p>

<p>Kayam, thanks for the advice. I saw your pictures then I experienced first hand this wonderful Hexanon lens so, yes I can see how it may drag me into the Konica realm. I'm very week when comes to this addiction; is there a rehab for GAS?<br>

JDM, thanks. I know exactly. Next one to go out shooting is the Canon Cannonet QL17 GIII. I think the quality of the Canon lens is very close to the Hexanon.<br>

Walter, I have the battery adaptor that delivers 1.35V from a silveroxide - this is how I tested the lightmeter. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Next one to go out shooting is the Canon Cannonet QL17 GIII. I think the quality of the Canon lens is very close to the Hexanon.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>The Canonet is a neat little package and I own a few but I don't think it is as good as the S2. I picked my S2 in Vietnam in 1966 for $35 brand new at the PX, my first ever 35mm. I was following the advice of the older heads who overwhelmingly preferred the S2. That plus a Seiko wrist watch. I must have been living in a cave since that was my first inkling that Japanese products are really first rate. I still have both and they still operate like new.</p>

<p>Nice camera for $5, nice job fixing it up. I can never pass up one of these myself, I know how it feels. My last $5 rangefinder purchase, last Friday, was a Ricoh Elnica 35M. Haven't started work on it yet, but it has working batteries and the shutter/aperture work and respond to light.</p>

<p>For the record: both suggestions from Tom Scott and Brett Rogers worked well for me; thank you very much guys! Last night I cleaned up carefully the glass and mirror inside the RF which is now clear and snappy. Then I moved the self timer lever from the "M" position to "X" and the timer came back to life. Lessons learned. All problems on this camera are now fixed.</p>

<p>That's excellent news, glad it worked out for you. My Auto S2 is one of my favourite cameras and I agree, the lens is very, very good. I should use it more, really. Unfortunately, they are a little hard to find for $5 here in Australia, so I had to pay slightly more for mine!</p>