What should be the strategy after I buy ?

<p>friends,</p>

<p>I intend to buy a few L series lenses- alongwith an 1DsMK III in the next couple of days.<br>

How would I test my lenses after I receive them- for sharpness, back focusing problem etc? In the past, I have never tested a lens- bought and started using it but I want to be more cautious now.</p>

<p>Also, any suggestion to save money is welcome-it will be a bulk purchase-I guess in the $ 15000 range.</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>Dholai</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just go out and take pictures. If you like what you see and how the lens performs, be happy. I purchased several 'L' series lenses and never had to send them to Canon to get calibrated. If you are unsure, get one of those pixel peeping charts and test your lens on them.</p>

<p>Bueh - is it really necessary ? The nearest factory service center is 500 miles away in Virginia!<br>

Harry, that was my experience also. Never had any problems but I often see people complaining of bad copies of lenses, testing them to death and the declare the lens "bad"! I thought I must be an idiot not finding any fault with any of these"L" lenses I have bought. So, I just wanted to be more cautious this time- likely my last extravaganza with photography in my lifetime.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>After seeing your portfolio I am curious as to what lenses you are thinking of getting. I hope you are buying additional ones rather than upgrading what you already have, because what you have is obviously very good, and the Canon upgrades tend to be merely a cash grab.</p>

<p>The Canon 1DsIII is a phenomenal camera, but my one concern is that it likely would have been replaced by now if not for the downturn in the economy. If you can put the purchase off until the fall we might finally see a replacement. Buy the lenses now, for your 1DsII, and the camera later. The 1DsIII is not a huge step up from the 1DsII, but the 1DsIV sure will be! In my opinion your money goes a lot further if you skip at least one camera generation. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree on delaying the body purchase if possible (if tradition / timing holds, the new units will ship sometime in November / December time frame.</p>

<p>In terms of lenses - it's easy enough to test the lens calibration with a ruler / using the widest possible aperture. Change the focus point to just the center spot. Then if what you get doesn't match what you expect, you can send the lens to Canon for adjustment. </p>

<p>I did tests on my new lenses when I first got them, found that every lens was spot on.</p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>I agree totally with everything you said.</p>

<p>However, here is the problem. I have recently lost my 1 Ds MK II. Originally, I planned to have this as the 2nd body when the IV comes but now I have none. Tried the 5D MK II- did not quite like the AF and the built- dust went under top LCD panel after a single trip in a dusty backcountry road in India ! Now, the plan is to have this MK III as the 2nd body when the next one comes- if ever !</p>

<p>Do you realize that the price of 1Ds MK III has gone up by $ 700 almost and all the lenses are up too! What is wrong woth Canon ?</p>

<p>Tudor,</p>

<p>The problem is, I dont know what to expect! I will try with the ruler- to see if they were sharp from corner to corner, right ? what about the back focus though ? I see a lot of people talk about micro adjustment with each and every lens. can anybody direct me to a user friendly page to read about it ?</p>

<p>thanks everybody.</p>

<p>To the OP:<br>

If you do photography for fun, testing is purely optional, but if you are paid for your shooting and have to deliver pro-quality output, then it is very prudent to test all aspects/features of your new equipment, includng AF tests, beforehand and have the stuff adjusted/fixed/replaced prior to using it on an assignment. </p>

<p><em>> The 1DsIII is not a huge step up from the 1DsII, </em><br>

Probably the biggest jump in all aspects of IQ, UI, etc. in all Canon digital 1D/1Ds series bodies has occured between 1Ds2 and 1Ds3. My opinion of course, after shoting 'em all every day for years.</p>

<p><em>>but the 1DsIV sure will be!</em><br>

Maybe, or maybe not. The history of "v. next" releases records a few failures and since nobody outside Canon knows what the heck the next model will be like, making business purchasing decissions, esp. in that price range, based on "yeah, sure will be better" sounds rather strange.</p>

<p>For a "back focusing" issue, my EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM has it. I can see it in shots greater than 3 metres away on the 5D and 1Ds II LCD's. So, it will be going into a Canon authorized repair centre tomorrow along with the 1Ds II.</p>

<p>As a first option, I would agree with Beuh B. As a second option, I would agree with Michael Liczbanski's first paragraph.</p>

<p>If you are buying a used and certified vehicle, wouldn't you have your mechanic inspect and test the vehicle before or after the purchase? Same with used (and new) photo gear.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Bueh - is it really necessary ? The nearest factory service center is 500 miles away in Virginia!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's the only way to be sure. And it will probably covered by the warranty. I consider it necessary maintainance. For absolutely best performance your lenses (especially telephotos) need to be adjusted to your specific body. I'm not making this up.</p>