39mm Screwmount Lens

<p>PJ, There are many sold on E-Bay everyday. A word of caution do some researce, find the right lens for your needs. A costly lens is not always the best lens. Mostly a popular lens IS popular for a reason. The Rangefinder Forum is a very good place to ask. M-39 lens may be had for under $100 and then the price goes up! Good luck.</p>

<p>If you stick to Soviet-made (Jupiter, Helios, etc) M39 lenses you should be all right in terms of thread and pitch. However, some of these lenses are automatic diaphragm and others are not, so check around on Wikipedia, and other sites on Soviet lenses and cameras to find out exactly what kind of lenses your Zenit 3M takes. I've only got a completely manual Zenit EM, and I am not sure of the details on yours.<br>

There are people, unlikely as it may seem to some, who actually know and love these cameras, so they will most likely chip in with more exact details.</p>

<p>Nothing for the 3M should be auto-diaphragm. Preset will be as advanced as it gets. My 3M came (from a web auction) with a Helios 44. That's a 58 mm f/2; a bit long, but f/2 is nice. My other Zenit has an Industar 22, a 50 f/3.5 very like the Industar 50. It's tiny compared to the 44; might look a bt out-of-place on the 3M body.<br>

I've bought from Fedka ( http://www.fedka.com ) before and been well satisfied. His listings describe the items in good detail.<br>

In the uk, you could look at http://www.mwclassic.com ; they sometimes have some Soviet stuff, and (because they like to sell Leica most of all) the old Zenit and Zorki things are sometimes pretty cheap; sometimes no more than you might pay on the'bay. I've never bought from them. The site's down this morning.</p>

<p>LTM lenses are sold in many film gate to lens registrations, even though they share 39mm thread. The common ones make infinity on various Leica and copies. Some German leaf shutter SLR cameras used the same thread but the registration was different. Also a previous poster mentioned all L39 are not alike. The thread may differ slightly not allowing the lens to seat all the way with resulting loss of infinity focus. Buyer beware!</p>