Canon FD beauty contest

ridinhome

<p>I don't know whether the olive drab body is so gorgeous simply because it looks so very different than the (also beautiful) standard black F-1, or whether it is gorgeous in itself, but it matters not. Gorgeous it is!</p>

<p>I'm always mystified by those claims that the classic Canon SLR's lack the pleasing aesthetics of the classic Nikons. To me, there isn't a Nikon that comes close in appearance to that of the EF or the F-1, original or new.</p>

<p>I think all the old Nikon and Canon SLR's are beautiful. But I know some of that is nostalgia for a time when only "real photographers" used equipment like that, and to finally be able to purchase a TX in 1976 made me feel like I finally arrived and would be able to make those beautiful images like the "pros". Before that, it was shooting with Instamatics, which left much to be desired.</p>

<p>Now any $75 point and shoot can allow pretty much anyone to make decent images with all the auto settings and compensations. I long for the days of yore when the photographers knowledge, experience, skill and talent determined how the image turned out.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>Tim, if you give a good DSLR with a good lens (say, an EOS 5DII w/ an EF 50/1.4) to someone who knows nothing about composition or exposure, s/he'll take lousy pictures with it. They might be slightly less lousy than those s/he would have taken with a film SLR, but they'll still be lousy.</p>

<p>This is also the case with point and shoot photography. Just take a look at all the awful imagery on the web.</p>

<p>Sadly this is not always the case. A fellow with whom I used to work, having never owned a camera before, bought himself a 5D, a bagful of L lenses, then a 1DSIII, then a 5DII, all within about a year. He has no concept of how a light meter works (also bought a Starlite II), and got nothing but black images in manual mode. A week or so later (!) he tried aperture priority, and his images are beautiful. In a way it saddens me to see all that money spent and the results justified. Granted, his compositions are conventional in the extreme, but it makes me wonder why I bother with manual film cameras when I see his output.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>conventional in the extreme</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Damn hard-core middle-of-the-roaders! ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it makes me wonder why I bother with manual film cameras when I see his output.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I frequently ask myself the same question (and my wife asks it more often still). YMMV, but for me the involvement in the picture-taking process is so much more direct, almost intimate with manual-focus - a connection relatively lacking with most digital photography, I feel. After shooting (film) on an EOS for 15 years, going FD a few years ago felt like rebirth: it gave me back all the pleasure I had in photography in my teens. <br>

I wonder harder about trying digital MF / RF, though the quantum leap in cost will stay my hand on that score for a while yet.</p>

<p>they're all good....imagine no dslr will ever look this good at age 40 or 50. Brassing? Lol how about Cracking</p>

<p>this was the only disgusting thing I read - the horror :=) : <strong><em> The FTb and the remaining lenses will be sold on eBay next week, I'll use the money to add to my OM and Leica kits.</em></strong></p>

<p>Well,the trick was to keep any brassing off the edges. Or is that the sign of the world traveler, I almost succeeded in that since I hate neck straps and avoided same. I have an EF which has no meter function, but it sure looks purty enough. Also an A-1 which I suppose I ought to get <em>de- squeaked</em> one of these days.<br>

First priority is to have my T90 functional again, serious tool that one.<br>

On beauty contest wise, I consider the original F-1 to be the most beautiful sleek camera of all time, also was my first SLR so I am prejudiced. Sold it with speed finder and MF drive a long while back, kind of miss the old feller now but I got enough camerastuff old and new... Re MF drive, as you may know, if one tried NiCads it destroyed the motor MF drive incompatible voltage or something, mine did not have a label and I did indeed destroy the MF motor. Got it fixed though, big bill at time from Canon.<br>

Heavy artillery, I mean F-1 w the wonderful Speed Finder plus MF motor, a killer weight looking back. Impressive indeed that combo, and worked quite well, but then the T90 did as well on the drive part, but no wonderful adjustable finder...<br>

Old warrior like friends you know, they need to come out of the 'Old Sailors Retirement Home' for classics, I mean now and then....gs</p>