RGB vs sRGB For Image Quality

<p> I have a 5D MK2 and 1D MK3 and shoot mainly weddings and portarits. I hear different opinions about which of the above give the BEST Image Quality. RGB vs sRGB I set my cameras to sRGB and in post production( LR) Export using sRGB. Can anyone tell me which is the BEST way to go. Also, some labs prefer sRGB files. Thank you. rollsman</p>

<p>If you're shooting RAW, then the in-camera setting is nearly irrelevant (e.g., it effects the in-camera histogram, but not much else since the image itself has not been rendered into a colour space yet). In terms of output from LR, it depends on what you're outputting for. For web, go sRGB for greater compatibility. For printing, it depends on the lab -- use a good lab and find out what they want as input.</p>

<p>RGB by itself is generic, meaningless -- </p>

<p>1. Pro Photo RGB (best color space for editing and for sending data to a printer)<br>

2. Adobe RGB (Pro Photo is better, so see no reason)<br>

3. sRGB (final use only, ala a color slide - you share with others via email or on the Web)</p>

<p>The BEST way to go is to shoot in Raw, and edit your images in Pro Photo RGB colorspace, x16. Setting the RGB mode on your camera is a waste of time if you want "Best".</p>

<p>RGB stands for Red Green Blue. You probably knew that.</p>

<p>I find that for a large percentage of what I do sRGB is just fine. I usually work in that colorspace with few ill effects. aRGB is needed from time to time, in which case I pull up the RAW file and use it. But I must stress that what works fine for me may spell disaster for someone else. So I guess my best advice is to try different things and see what works for you. My big hang up was that sometimes I'd forget to convert my aRGB file to sRGB because I wasn't really doing anything to them other than just uploading to the web in which case they didn't look right.</p>

<p>Well sRGB is “fine”. Yes many labs will only accept sRGB for output (because they are kind of clueless or lazy about color management). You want fine, stick with sRGB. You want flexibility and all the data the capture device provides and a working space that can be more fully utilized for other output needs, you do not want to funnel the data into sRGB. You want a larger gamut working space. You can always convert (funnel, clip) to sRGB and send that out.</p>

<p>This article should set you straight on what encoding color space to select (especially if you capture raw data):</p>

<p>http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I capture in RAW.</p>

<p>Everything I process is in sRGB.</p>

<p>Part of the equation is what can the final viewing source interpret? What does the paper, screen, portable device, web and so on show/can show? If the medium can't fully utilize an RGB JPEG what will the viewer see? The lab I use recommends either sRGB or RGB. Since my clients purchase the files with the initial gig fee and I find most retail establishments who do printing calibrate for sRGB they/client receive sRGB JPEG's from me.</p>

<p>Just for grins, try having a print made in sRGB and another with an RGB file and see what looks better.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Part of the equation is what can the final viewing source interpret?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The problem is, we often don’t know, at least for future usage. If you funnel the data into sRGB, you’re stuck with it. You now find you want to take advantage of that wide gamut, 12 ink printer you just got. You’ve given the file a sex change operation. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just for grins, try having a print made in sRGB and another with an RGB file and see what looks better.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a name="pagebottom"></a><br>

You really need to stop using the term “RGB” file. RGB is a color model. sRGB is a color space, as is Adobe RGB (1998), ProPhoto RGB etc. Saying <em>RGB</em> is meaningless. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Thanks Andrew.</p>

<p>"The problem is, we often don’t know, at least for future usage."</p>

<p>I keep the RAW files. Haven't had to re-work them in quite a few gigs since I've been digital.</p>

<p>I usually delegate this part of the process out. I know enough to make it work and my friends at WHCC are there to help as well. I use WHCC for all my printing & everything I send to them is sRGB. I correct my computers to their specs with eye one match. Is that any good?</p>

<p>My main forte is getting good clients and having them spend with me. I use sRGB because that's what's best suits their needs.</p>

<p>Seems to work pretty well for me.</p>

<p>Have a great 2011.</p>

<p>Your RGB Pal Bill.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I shoot raw so it doesn't really matter what my camera is set to. I used to process in sRGB. Then I briefly switched to Lightroom, which as I understand uses a color space most similar to ProPhoto RGB, so I switched my Photoshop workspace to ProPhotoRGB also. When I realized that Lightroom was no different than Adobe Camera Raw (as far as processing) I stopped using LR, but stuck with the ProPhotoRGB color space in Photoshop. My last step is converting the color space to sRGB. You are correct, that is the color space most labs want (of course it's always worth asking your lab). </p>

<p>I have not noticed any color quality difference since switching to ProPhotoRGB from sRGB. I have seen internet articles with examples demonstrating the differences. I though my all sRGB processed photos looked fine, but so do the ProPhotoRGB processed photos so I'm sticking with that.</p>

<p>Hi Matt!</p>

<p>Hope you have a great 2011 with your business. I try to keep my workflow simple, since during certain times things get rather busy, and I process my RAW files with ACR using sRGB color space. Then I convert the to jpeg's in PS and I get sRGB files so as I don't have to worry or check which space they are being processed. <br /> Like you, I include hi-res files on a DVD so if the client goes to a retail establishment like Target I've found the machines are set up to use sRGB files. <br /> At any rate, it's what I do and what convinced me to use this workflow is when well seasoned pros like John Woodward use sRGB for their workflow. His work is pretty good. <br>

<br /> Thanks Matt.</p>

<p>No one is say "don't use sRGB" in your workflow. That is nonsense.</p>

<p>However, there is no arguing the point that when you are editing your images -- from RAW to final sRGB output, it is best and beneficial to work in ProPhoto RGB, x16 workspace. As a final step, before you send to your printing lab of course convert to sRGB (or remain in ProPhoto if the lab can handle that). </p>

<p>Simple simple simple.</p>