ABC news

gene m

<p>I don't post on here much but I do read quite a bit of it. I also really enjoy your stuff Gene and I like that it seems to be only for "us" at the moment. I can't judge how you would look on TV but I must agree with the first 3 reasons. #2 certainly would come true and that would in turn make #3 worse. I would also be concerned about an overflow of Kodachrome that Dwaynes was unable to process! <br>

On the plus side it would be a VERY cool/heartwarming story in a time when we need those. Just thought I'd toss that guilt filled last comment in there. ;)</p>

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Dang, we'd all love to keep you all to our little selves, but the world needs to know too. It's a nice upbeat story, although I understand your reservations.</p>

<p>Given the nature of the cable channels like Discovery, unlike Walter, I'd expect better and more serious treatment from ABC than from the former. On Discovery and all, you'd be in with Aliens on Earth and crop circles, at the best. ;)</p>

<p>I think number one reason is the crucial one, because if you do it, ABC will be just the beginning. You will be contacted by other media, and at least for a while, life's going to change. Could be good, who knows, these things are unpredictable. Like Rick said, hard call.</p>

<p>FWIW, I'm not convinced that TV exposure will flood you with old film, or long-lasting fame. I think most people's reaction will simply be a twinge of nostalgia, perhaps a revived interest in film and old photos. </p>

<p>If it were me, I'd also stress that I couldn't do K-chrome, and like somebody else said, mention alternate sources of processing for other rolls of film. </p>

<p>I don't think everybody in America has an exposed roll in their possession, and even among people who do, only a tiny sliver of them will actually be moved to do anything about it.</p>

<p>I certainly agree with you on the privacy angle. Perhaps, with a bit of negotiation, they may foot the bill for your website costs for the coming year.</p>

<p>Josh is correct on the copyright issue, as every other television ad is a lawyer "helping" you to be compensated for something, though P.net may get quite a few more hits out of this, also.</p>

<p>Myself, I'd be inclined to to do it if the terms were correct. As a former employer used to jokingly say to me.... "Share the Wealth?"</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Copyright is a serious thing -- I include a copyright notice in each contract when I do a job -- but I don't think it'd be a major issue here. You could have ABC only air photos you have permission to use. Surely you have (or could get) permission for a few of those?</p>

<p>For a book, you'd also have to get permission to publish them, of course.</p>

<p>Found film that you processed is unlikely to be a copyright problem. It is being shown as a documentary/art fashion, not used commercially. Second, no permission would be needed if (a) used as above, and (b) the photographers and subjects are anonymous, so how could anyone believe that one could get permission. Copyright is the least of your worries. </p>

<p>I think much would depend if Mom's family will want the publicity. News reporters will hunt them down eventually and bluntly ask how they feel. Gene, if you and Mom's family are happy with the picture situation as it is now, why risk any heartache over undesired intrusion into your lives. I'm cynical that mega-news organizations are out to make money, more than to make anyone feel good.</p>

<p>I would say to do it. If you can imbue the TV time with 1/10th the quality of the posts you have put up here you will touch and humanize millions of people, adding a little value to their lives in the very best possible way. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I didn't have the time to read the other 35 responses but I strongly urge you to do this!! I'm sure you can push the editors<br>

to make the story be the film and their stories and not you. Make a contingency plan, you'll have time before it airs, build a bigger capacity server and limit the personal and direct linrs. If the the response works, sift through the book offers and start slowly. You'll need probably an agent/publicist, a PO BOX office number and a new email addres. I know you don'T need anybody, but I want to see you get off the ground. I was hoping to be your breakthrough on FotoTV (www.Fototv.com) and do a film on you. I just hadn't worked out the logistics. I recommend you contact the fellow who found or believed to have found Ansel Adams negs.. ( http://ricknorsigian.com/) he can probably help guide you through the dangers and potholes. I'm 100% serious Do it Gene!</p>

<p>Whatever it takes to get your ass to finally make a book. For pete's sake, Gene. If we can't get a book we'll take a TV interview. I think this will get your book made and then Oprah will have you on. Then Sandra Bullock will notice you, and since Jesse James is her type I think your chances are better than you suspect.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Every second you're on ABC, they will not be broadcasting some kind of lie or nonsense.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ain't dat da troof !<br>

Gene, you're certainly more real than that phoney voiceover bum or other manufactured non-news entity. <br>

It's abvout time someone deserving gets exposure and recognition for real accomplishments.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A. Correct that legal advice from forum isn't to be banked on; however I assure you that since you have not used the material commercially you have no liability. And no one can make any demand of you who is not the photographer or the owner of the film and if they come forward, why, that's kind of part of the process.<br>

B. re: Crop circles. I though Gene WAS a crop circle? Doesn't all the film come from the Bermuda Triangle?<br>

C. Gene, if you do it, and some other artists/filmmakers get interested, you can get involved in some wonderful interesting projects you might not have contemplated. Or you won't. The half life of this kind of story is very very shot: a week or two at best. (I'm in journalism...) So fear not.</p>

<p>Vince</p>

<p>Here's my response.<br>

<em>I was unable to respond to your first email as I was away from home.</em><br /><br /><em>I'm not interested in expanding my found film efforts any further than my simple website. As it is, I'm overwhelmed with people that want me to help them recover old photographs, whether they come from their families or from thrift shops.</em><br /><br /><em>I was interviewed by The Canadian Broadcasting Company a few years ago and the response was overwhelming. My internet service provider shut down my website due to bandwidth usage. I received hundreds of emails.</em><br /><br /><em>I'm flattered at your interest but I think I'd rather remain under the radar.</em><br /><br /><em>Thank you</em><br /><br /><em>Gene</em></p>

<p>I have hundreds of slides I've collected over the years from estate sales. Images of cruises in the Caribbean from the 1960s and 1970s, travel around the world, weddings, family photos, etc. I think it's not too uncommon to collect photos for people like us. I'm sure they could find someone else to talk to.<br>

However I've never developed found film, I've always discarded it, since it was usually recent 35mm film. If I'd found older film, 120, 620 or 127 format, I'd have developed it.</p>