Slik 700dx or 400dx ?

orourke

<p>I am about to purchase a tripod and I'm debating whether to go with a Slik 700 or 400. The price difference seems to be negligible (10 bucks @ B&H) and I wondered if anyone has any input on whether the 700 offers a better value given the added weight. I suppose weight really isn't a big concern for me but it seems to be the one drawback that everyone points to in forums/reviews. Any other pros/cons that I may want to consider? I'll be using Nikon 35mm bodies the largest of which at this point is an F4 with a 75-300 zoom.</p>

<p>It depends on the size and weight of your cameras and lens. I don't have the 400DX, but I have the 500DX and the 700DX. I think the difference between the 400DX and 500DX maybe the Alloy legs, but they both cost about the same. The 700DX is a whole nother beast !<br>

This tripod is huge, heavy and very tall in height. If you don't mind the weight, it is a great Tripod for the money. The quality is better than on my 500DX which probably means the 400DX also. I use it to support my Medium Format and Large Format cameras, but it can also be used to hold a 35mm with heavy lens under gale force winds. I just wish it came with spikes, but you can order those separately.<br>

If you are thinking about getting into regular photography, lanscapes, nature, macro etc. I would go for the 400DX. It comes with a collapsible center column for macros and is pretty rugged. It's no Gitzzo or Manfrotto but the low price makes up for that.<br>

</p>

<p>Thank you Harry. I am leaning toward the 700dx and possibly picking up a lighter (400dx) tripod down the road for quick road trips if the 700 proves too cumbersome. I have also heard good things about the Slik 340dx, especially it's portability. It would be so much easier to decide if I could actually hold one and examine it beyand a computer monitor screen. (no one in the area carries them) One other question I had, if I may, pertains to the quick release on the 700. I posted it in another thread but that thread seems to have disappeared. Have you, or anyone noticed any 'creep' shooting vertically with a round quick release configuration as opposed to square or rectangular. Specifically, is the quick release locking system on the 700dx secure?</p>

<p>"Have you, or anyone noticed any 'creep' shooting vertically with a round quick release configuration as opposed to square or rectangular"</p>

<p>I haven't noticed any creep yet in the vertical position. The round Quick Release plate sits pretty deep in the holding area. I did worry about that at first since the release latch is made of plastic, but so far I haven't run into any problems, although I onlly had the tripod for less than a year.</p>

<p>I have a 400DX which has served well for some years, though I've switched mostly to a larger Manfrotto with a ball head these days. The 400DX is fine with a hefty 35 mm camera and a medium length lens, but I found it a bit jittery with a 400, and I think if you're regularly using an F4 with a zoom out to 300 you might find the heavier one works better, but I'd be more inclined to choose on the basis of height. I find the 400DX just about right for my 5'8" height, and when I use a taller tripod I must either modify the legs or mark them to get the height right without fiddling. </p>

<p>In other respects, the 400DX is good, and very good bang for the buck, though it might not be as good a bargain as B&H's perpetual sale on the 700. The head works smoothly, the legs are pretty versatile, and it's nice for macro work. It's a good size, and sturdy enough to be safe with a biggish camera and lens. It's a good combination of enough weight for stability and enough lightness for carrying around.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you both for the input, it is very much appreciated. I think I'll pick up the 700 and eventually get the 400 as a travel/back up tripod. They both sound like good buys and are different enough for specific applications to justify purchasing both. Thanks again!</p>

<p>Hello! I recomend You slik 700dx it is great (really) tripod that can take almost anything (except 500mm lens). It is similar to the Manfrotto 055 but lighter especially If You take legs alone + ball head from Manfrotto. The only drawback its little too heavy to take for long Mountain trip and legs are long. And center column is a little bit too long so you can`t go to the ground unless you invert the column (what is possible) but you can buy short center column if you do a lot of close-to-ground photography. I used manfrotto 055 and slik 700dx, slik is nicer, knobs faster to use, very,very solid.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your input. I feel better about my decision. I'm ordering the 700 now and will probably pick up the 400 next month, unless I see or hear of something else between now and then in that price range that offers better portability without sacrificing sturdiness.</p>