The Final Fujica's Film

<p>I won't bore you with great detail, since I've covered the Fujica 35 series rangefinders in some depth in previous posts. For the uninitiated, this is one of the simplest of a fine series of rangefinders manufactured by the Fuji Photo Film Company of Japan in the late 1950's and '60's. It was preceded by the "M" model released in 1957; the only apparent difference being that the ML has linked shutter and aperture rings that maintain a constant exposure until they're unlinked and reset. This can be a tad annoying until one is familiar with the system....It's a solid and well-finished camera with linked split-image rangefinder, a viewfinder with moving parallax-compensating brightline, quick unit focusing controlled by a thumbwheel on the top deck, and base-mounted short-throw film wind and cocking lever. The film rewind handle is set into the side of the camera; most of the 35 series included these features. The lens is a beautiful Fujinon 5-element 45mm f/2.8-22, though the images seem a little wider than I expected. Great glass, augmented by a very quiet and positive Fuji Synchro MXL shutter, (reputedly of Citizen origin), speeds 1 to 1/500 plus B.<br /><br />The ML does not have an exposure meter, so I slipped on the neat little Cander 38 meter show in the pic. It's a selenium meter, very nicely built and still going strong, but I know absolutely nothing of it's history or manufacture, other than it's Japanese origins. Googling "Cander" turns up quite a lot of interesting information on confectionery and geese, but nothing of great relevence to a light meter. Should someone out there know, please tell.<br /><br />Anyway, I loaded the 35-ML with a roll of Fuji Superia 200 and shot it off over the course of a fortnight. The 35's are ergonomically a delight, so long as the user is right-handed; the camera is designed to be gripped in the left hand and operated by the right, all the controls being positioned on the right side of the body. The results were as I expected, with the lens turning in a very fine performance. These types of images I would usually have approached with a SLR, and it's a vote of confidence in the Fujica that I was comfortable enough with the camera to attempt some quite demanding photographs. It didn't disappoint me. Scans are from the Fuji Frontier. I've included a couple of detail pics, and I hope you find something to like in the images I've attached.</p><div>00XycK-317917684.jpg.e7c780ed4e7c2fcc02de63502ca61f0c.jpg</div>

<p>That Customer Parking shot looks weird, as if you'd pasted on the sign in software. An optical illusion, perhaps? Groovy little camera, though! EDIT: I'm not accusing you, I'm merely saying that it just looks weird. I've seen some smart-alecs on PN with egg on their faces after their accusations were refuted.</p>

<p>You're right, <strong>Karim</strong>, in that this Fujinon lens seems to put everything into a kind of 3D relief, imparting a real depth to the image. Mind you, the very incongruity of the sign on the wall was really what the pic is all about!</p>

<p>Here's a crop at 150%, straight from the scan. Looks pretty real to me!</p><div>00Xyig-318015584.jpg.60b97088196050d628d657916a9bf183.jpg</div>

<p>Rick - fantastic work as always. Those Fujinon lenses work wonders. </p>

<p>I'm particularly struck by Intersects. The combination of the cloud detail and the stark geometry of the shot are simply outstanding. I'm very far away from where you are, but if we were in the same room I'd be raising my beer glass to you.</p>

<p>Great Work there Rick I loved the color rendition and the 3-D effect is as mentioned is striking to say the least<br>

I love how you present the cameras and that shoe-mount meter is sooo cool! I love this late 50s/60s reangefinder stuff that you have presented this year and Andy contributed a bit too as well as others.. I have a list a mile long ..top of the list though is Ruby Pax! Anyway These Fujicas are indeed rare beasts ! Especially here in Teutonic Engineering Land!</p>

<p>Great post Rick, I love these photos, especially the intersecting lines, and the bi-cultural. I have one of these as well, and do agree that this may have been Fuji's budget line as the finish is not that great with aluminum type body; however they sure did no cheap out on the lens which has aided you in producing crisp photographs with beautiful color rendition.</p>

<p>You say Final Fujica's film? What do you mean? Have you collected all of them. I am yet to see a Fujica V2 in your collection which is nicer that this one in terms of finish and has a faster lens. I have one on the shelf and it was working fine until a year ago. Gave it a test a few minutes ago, and it appears the blades have seized from no usage which is a pity. Anyway, enough moping from me. Great work and a pleasure to view as always.</p>

<p>Stunning specimen and super-fine execution, as usual, Rick. Outstanding !<br>

Bi-Cultural is my favorite. I didn't think people locked their doors in NZ. <br>

I picked up a V2 last week, and like Ralf's, it has a frozen shutter. The rest of the camera is near mint; nary a scratch on top or bottom. These Fujica RF's are well proportioned and a pleasure to hold and look at. The V2 has some SLR heft, and its viewfinder, frame lines and match needle meter are bright and clearly visible. . I'll gladly shelve some other projects in order to tackle the V2's shutter first. <br>

What can we expect from your collection in 2011, Rick ? Any hints or sneak peeks ?</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Rob</strong> and <strong>Mike</strong>, always a pleasure to present photographs to an appreciative audience!<br /> Thanks <strong>SP</strong>; I'm designing a new home at present and I'm currently going through a sort of Frank lloyd Wright mindset, and I suspect I have rather a preoccupation with form and line. But you'd know all about that.. <strong>Kayam</strong> picked this up very perceptively; "Linear" and "Intersects" would be my favourites from the series. Thank you both for approval. Please raise your glass at a distance, <strong>Kayam</strong>, and I'll raise mine!</p>

<p>Go for it, <strong>Jean</strong>, the Fujicas are not expensive cameras, merely some of the best value around. Even your wife must appreciate <em>that.</em>...Thanks, <strong>Donnie</strong> and <strong>Louis</strong>; this is the first time I've used a shoe- mounted meter and it's actually quite an acceptable alternative to a hand-held.</p>

<p>Glad you liked the images, <strong>Chuck</strong>; it really is quite extraordinary, the depth these lenses impart to an image. Good luck with the Ruby; those little Yamato cameras in their various forms are fun. Please post some pics when you get the chance, <strong>Vasudevan</strong>, and I hope you enjoy using the SE.</p>

<p>No, <strong>Ralf</strong>, I haven't collected them all. I made an arbitary decision to collect only the "35" series, and the V2 comes a little later, with CDS meter, though the build is much the same. The only one I lack is the original Fujica 35, which I've never come across and which is almost identical to the 35-ML, as I mentioned in the article. I've never seen one, for sale or otherwise, and I really think I have enough Fujica rangefinders. I wouldn't mind a nice V2, though...My personal favourite in terms of performance, style and sheer beauty is the 35-EE; see my post : http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00SCFp</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Gabor</strong>, and I hope you get the V2 up and running and post some fine photographs. As for the coming year, well, they just keep turning up, I'm afraid, and I might try to research some oddballs, such as the Petri Racer, the Acon 35 or even the Prinz Mastermatic III...</p>