How does an LCD live screen affect "seeing" for Photojournalism/Street Photography?

roger_s

<p>Henri Cartier-Bresson explained his preference for Leica rangefinders because he felt these offered a more intimate interaction with the subjects he was photographing - the fact that he was viewing the actual subjects rather than peering through a semi-abstract darkened screen, plus the lack of mirror blackout at the actual instant of image capture.<br /><br />In other words, the structure of the camera affected the manner of seeing and interacting with the subjects.<br /><br />Now, for me, apart from a brief dalliance with M Leica's, I have always used Nikon SLRs and DSLRs for photojournalism and street photography.<br /><br />As Point & Shoot pocket cameras have developed, I've dreamed of a P&S that could focus as fast as a DSLR, and have as little shutter-lag as a … Leica, but never seriously considered them, apart for unimportant snapshots. (Even family photos are too important for these slow-focusing P&S's since kids expressions need fast focusing and reflex capturing of great expressions).<br /><br />Now, it seems, there appears to be a range of the latest cameras that could be fast enough in terms of focusing and shutter-lag that could be the modern equivalent of Henri Cartier-Bresson's Leicas for his generation of photojournalists and street photographers. (Well, maybe not the current crop, but the next or the next).<br /><br />I refer to the Lumix LX5/Leica D-Lux 5, and Canon S95. (The DPReview of the Nikon P7000 indicates it has slow focusing http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/page11.asp).<br /><br />However, most of these (apart from the Nikon P7000 and Canon G12) seem to omit a viewfinder (or charge extra for it, in the case of the Lumix/Leica).<br /><br />Therefore, my question in this post is, in the spirit of Cartier Bresson's above statement - how would using one of these LCD screen cameras affect the way a photojournalist/street photographer would interact with its subjects - as compared to a DSLR and rangefinder.<br /><br />I have never tried using a LCD-screen Point & Shoot for photojournalism and fast street photography because I do not yet own one of these modern generation pocket cameras. The pocket cams that I have focus too slowly and have to great a shutter lag to capture the decisive moment.<br /><br />I could imagine that these current LCD-Point & Shoots could provide an "intimacy" with the subject in the sense that, in peripheral vision, the photographer has an un-hindered view of the subject.<br /><br />Naturally, I would prefer these cameras to incorporate a viewfinder, but that doesn't seem to be the way manufacturers are geared up these days in terms of P&S's.<br /><br />I add that my preference for street photography is to shun anything longer than 35mm (or 28mm in DX/Half Frame). For me, street photography involves courage to get up close and personal, and the upper limit being Cartier-Bresson's 50mm normal lens (35mm DX). My favourite lens for this is the Nikon 12-24, used mostly in the range of 12-16mm.<br /><br /><br /></p>

I have a Panasonic LX3. While it's a fine camera, I could never really get used to LCD shooting. Any future

point-n-shoot camera I look at will need to have a built-in EVF (viewfinder). External EVFs on some cams add

size/bulk and are a non-starter for me. Was hoping the LX5 and GF2 would have a buiult-in EVF.<P>

But really, for me, shooting on the street, I'm not at all disappointed with a regular size dSLR. I see no

downsides, other than it won't fit in my jacket pocket.<P>

>>> how would using one of these LCD screen cameras affect the way a photojournalist/street photographer

would interact with its subjects - as compared to a DSLR and rangefinder.<P>

For the street portraiture I like to do, my gut feeling is a small LCD camera would be a big negative with respect

to subject engagement. Would also miss the ability to throw the bg out of focus when wanted. <P>

<a href=

"http://pages.sbcglobal.net/b-evans/Images53/TLfaces/">Here's a set I've been working on </a>in one specific

San Francisco neighborhood. For sure I'm biased, but just can't see doing that with a small point-n-shoot.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>the difference betwee nusing an LCD screnn andthe viewfinder on H C-B's Leica is that with the LCD viewing you end up holding a relatively big piece of machinery in front of your face and are paying to attention to what is on that little screen ( and often not in the most friendly light which is a distraction from looking at what is in front of the camera. </p>

<p>I used an S90 quite a bit for street style photography last year. The camera itself was fine, but the LCD screen-only idea is a killer. When doing night photography, it blasts your face with light, and in anything other than shade, you can't see what you're pointing at. Not good for quick composition, that's for sure.</p>

<p>On the positive side, I think people are so used to other people holding out little black cameras at arm's length that they don't pay much attention to you, whereas with my SLR, which is a relatively compact one, I seem to stand out like sore thumbs. I also found that it was much easier to take more candid shots with the compact camera, because you can see the LCD without necessarily having the camera out in front of your face.</p>

<p>All in all, the difficulty of seeing the screen in bright daylight made me go back to an SLR with a proper viewfinder... but if you look at this strictly in terms of how it affects the relationship between photographer and subject, for street photography, I find the compact cameras do have an advantage there just because they are less obvious. And to some extent, yes, with these, you do have that peripheral vision type of thing you mentioned. However, it's not really that advantageous, because with those LCD screens, it's virtually impossible to relate subject movement to when it will actually enter the frame.</p>

<p>I got lucky with a couple of decisive moment shots with my DSLR that I'm pretty sure I would have missed had I been relying on a compact camera.</p>

<p>PS. I don't want to single out the S90 for poor daylight visibility. I also used several other compacts and they all have this problem.</p>

<p>I still have two Leicas, several other RF, dozens of SLR film cams, use DSLR's and a few P&S's with LCDs, and have no problem with any of them in street photography. The swiveling LCD screens do have occasional distinct advantages in that kind of work. </p>

<p>The stereotaxic vision (repeat, vision, not even hinting that an LCD image = a print, OK?) when looking at an LCD is very similar to looking at a print, TLR screen, or view camera ground glass.</p>

<p>Each piece of hardware has its strengths & weaknesses in our own hands. Use whatever helps you make the best pics you can.</p>

<p>I use a Ricoh GR Digital III, It's the fastest most rangefinder like point & shoot I've come across ( I also have a an s90 for the wife I love my GRIII way more). It has snap focus where you preset the focus to a distance, 1m, 2.5m, etc. never had an issue with lag at all using the snap function.<br>

shooting in manual, I try to keep my shutter around 1/500 or faster depending on conditions. with the small sensor DOF even at 1.8 is still large enough to capture a subject as long as your estimation of distance is fairly accurate, but far more forgiving than an APC sensor. Also I use an OVF slipped into the hot shoe, great for framing in all conditions, no issues with sun glare that can happen with an LCD.</p>

<p>I think it is just great to be able to see the photo and the results of exposure adjustments BEFORE you take the photo. I think the electronic viewfinder will replace the old fashioned flipping mirror in a very few years for just this reason.</p>

<p>Sanford G's point is OK, but I generally see the photo BEFORE I position the camera, even with a reflex or ground glass. The camera is for execution, not for visualization...for me.</p>

<p>I found rangefinders (various Leica and Canon) delightful, especially for casual portraits. My closest current approximation is Hexar AF, whose bright frame viewfinder rivals Leica's, but I use a Pentax DSLR with pancake lens most of the time. It began to feel more like a rangefinder when I put black tape over the logo and replaced the original strap with a skinny/secure Upstrap.com :-) </p>

<p>Roger, for me, I wouldn't listen to everything HCB wrote or said as gospel. Sure, his Leica's were important, especially given what was available when he started. Once you get used to a way that works, there's usually little reason to change 30 years later. I would listen to your own experience instead. A P&S like a GRD has a snapshot mode that is instantaneous, no focusing because it is zoned focused. This works very well in any actual day light where you can keep a shutter speed up, and a Zone of focus depending on your f stop. Great, small street camera though it is a small and noise prone sensor in any kind of low light situation. Flash works pretty good too. I'm limiting my response just to your inquiry about a P & S and a LCD. <br>

As far as "interacting" I find nothing is as off putting or somehow silly looking as someone with their arm stuck straight out peering at the LCD trying to line up a photo, but actually you can bring it up towards your eye instead of that, and once you get used to it, you just have to glance at it and not really take your eye off the subject, as you say, maintaining your peripheral vision. I find it very free. Sometimes when I'm not in sync and feel self-concious even bringing a rangefinder to my eye, the little GRD gets me untracked and the juices flowing.</p>