Kodachrome Away

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>My rolls went out FedEx last night ca. 6.30 p.m. and were delivered this morning by 10 a.m. I hope those of you who used the Postal Service make it in by noon tomorrow. Good luck to all!</p>

<p>PS.--Dwayne's is selling great commemorative Kodachrome T-shirts on their Web site. Have a look, I bought one and it just arrived yesterday.</p>

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

<p>I would not in any way ask that anyone doubt or dispute Dwayne's firm received-by-noon stance and deadline, but I can also imagine it a faint possability that they might very quietly deal with any remaining packages that might arrive after the deadline or fill in the Post Office box that day. I would not BANK on it however, but it could happen this way behind the scene and I expect they would do it very quietly. They had to give a firm deadline and I expect they will be developing what is received before noon for a day or two afterwards. I am not sure how many they have received in the last week, but I would love to know the numbers. Good luck everyone!</p>

<p>I sent in two rolls today. I never shot much slide film, but I had a couple rolls in the freezer that I didn't want to waste, so I loaded the 35mm one into the Kin-Dar Stereo, and the 120 I cut down to 828 size and shoehorned it into the Flash Bantam; normally I cut down 120 into two rolls of 828, but I have now determined by experiment that if you trim the paper leader to the minimum, you can actually fit 16 exposures on one 828 spool. (What does that make it, 1628? :) Finished up the rolls with pictures of the snow (lots here in Jersey), found that overnight mail isn't, and went to Federal Express instead. $24 worth of developing cost me $35.09 to ship. ouch.It would have been cheaper if I told them to deliver it in the afternoon, but I didn't want to find out the hard way that they really mean 12:00 on the dot.</p>

<p>Still have one roll of PKR120 left (I kept the one with the better box). Now I wonder if DR5 can process that as B&W transparency?</p>

<p>UPS appears to have screwed me. I sent my last two rolls to Dwayne's last week and the tracking number has shown "out for delivery" for a week. Talked with UPS explaining the critical deadline of the 30th (and that they supposedly promised delivery in two days) and seems all they wanted to discuss was the value of the contents and the 8 days it has to be undelivered before they will declare it lost. They have been pretty much useless to me, even when I gave them plenty of time.</p>

<p>Dwayne's confirms they haven't received it so I don't know if I'll see these slides - ever.</p>

<p>Yeah, I know it was the Christmas holiday rush but I'm puzzled how a bar-code scanning system that supposedly tracks each package and is performed by a human driver can not show a discrepancy of loaded vs. delivered at the end of the day. Why can't someone just go check out the inside of the truck and find my package?!?</p>

<p>Anyone else have problems with UPS getting your film to Dwayne's? Who can you trust these days?</p>

<p>Guess I should have hand-delivered the film - less than a day's drive.</p>

<p><em><strong>Fed Ex, Fed Ex, Fed Ex! ! !</strong></em></p>

<p>Anything else is risky. The US Postal Service is totally unreliable -- "Express" Mail is a sick joke. UPS is not much better but clearly not as "iffy" as the USPS.</p>

<p>If you want truly reliable delivery, you must use Federal Express. It's the only overnight courier I've used that delivers on time without fail, natural disasters aside.</p>

<p>Just as the 1960s "unofficially" ended at 4 May 1970 with the Kent State shootings, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say the 20th century "unofficially" ended 10 years later at 12 noon, 30 December 2010. The iconic emulsion which documented the historic events of that era is no more to be processed. Kodachrome, RIP, indeed!</p>
Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

<p>I have not been able to shoot for the sake of shooting, so two rolls remain in my fridge. Even Velvia will work on the snowbank outside, so I guess I have collector's items now. How would we be able to find out if another opportunity to procees these last rolls ever comes up?<br>

I would not want to miss it again.<br>

It is a very sad day.</p>

<p>Sadly my one last roll mailed on Monday the 27th did not make it to Dwayne's today. Said expected delivery was Wednesday, but even today (Thursday) it is still in transit. Oh well. I had shot 15 exposures at Christmas and the rest was just shots in and around my home.<br>

I wonder what Dwayne's will do with all the rolls that arrive after noon on the 30th? Throw them away?<br>

Very sad day indeed. They took my Kodachrome away today...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder what Dwayne's will do with all the rolls that arrive after noon on the 30th? Throw them away?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As long as the chemistry lasts, I expect they will process them. No point turning away good business on the principle of upholding an arbitrary cutoff date.</p>

<p>I sent out 17 rolls on the 13th of December, I didn' t want to wait until " the end push " for various reasons. I have been using Kodachrome 25 / 64 since 1992 and only wish I had of started sooner. My slides are on their way back via FedEx. Most of the slides are of military aircraft but, our vacation this year took us to Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park... which included a 2 hour raft ride down the Snake River with the majestic Tetons all around. Other stops included Salt Lake City, Utah; Bear Lake, Utah; Oregon Trail, Idaho; Town Square Jackson Hole, Wyoming; Mount Rushmore, South Dakota and various other little stops along the way.<br>

The anticipation of waiting for the slides to come back is part of the " slide experience " as only people who have shot them know. I will continue to use slide film ( now Fuji Provia 100f ) but, it won't be the same as waiting on the Kodachrome to come back. I new my images would be colorful, sharp and archivable. Thanks for all the great memories Kodachrome, RIP 1935 - 2010. A sad day and the End of an Era.</p>

<p>Steve</p>

<p>RIP indeed! During my last visit with my parents (both in their 80s) we perused my Mom's slides shot on Kodachrome-X through her Leica IIIg... my baby pix (from 1959-60), visits to the DC Tidal Basin cherry blossoms in the 50s and 60s, all look like they were shot last week! What an incredible archival medium that is no more. My last roll made it in by FedEx yesterday morning, shots of downtown Louisville KY while on an airline layover; I unloaded my Yashica TL-Electro and found the FedEX office before I had to get back to the hotel and continue on with my trip!</p>

<p>My last 2 rolls of exposed Kodachome went in the mail on Tuesday with the comment from our beloved PO that they would proboably make it. I also saw a comment somewhere that Dwayne's had opened their last bucket of blue dye. Kodak makes it easy?<br>

Anyone want a deal on 4 24 exp rolls pf Kodachrome 200, or do I mount them on the wall as a sad rememberance?<br>

John G.</p>

<p>Ron: I read that piece. Awful advice when you think about it. Printing e-mails & digital photos? Yeah, right, that will make sure they don't disappear... not. The best way to make sure that a Kodachrome slide is preserved indefinitely is to scan it. But we can enjoy the actual slide while it lasts. Which is, thankfully, a long time.</p>