Real World 30D use question.

jim_j2

<p>Back a few months ago I had found a "good buy" on a used 10d, but backed out because those with experience here advised that "I would probably not like the shutter and/or start up lag."<br>

Now I have found what I think is a decent buy on a 30d and would appreciate any input. Both on the upside and the downside.</p>

<p>I have had my 50d for over a year now, and previous to the 50d came from an EOS 3 and Elan 7e.<br>

I'm in need of a backup and/or second body. I would prefer the 40d, but they are still just out of my price range at the present time, so updating to something above the 50d and keeping it as the backup or second body is out too.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Jim j.</p>

<p>The 30D is a good camera, I had mine for 5 years and have not experienced any issues. of course if you buy used that is not guaranteed. The LCD is smaller than on the 40D, 50D and newer cameras but that was never an issue with me.</p>

<p>Of course the LCD on the 40D an up is not only bigger but the resolution is higher if that is what is important to you. To me what is important with an LCD is that it gives you an accurate representation of what your picture is going to look like, which includes exposure and color, otherwise it might as well be B&W.</p>

<p>The 30D does a very good job outdoors, but indoors the colors can be a little off. In any case, everything works well on that camera if you don't mind putting up with the 8.2 Mega Pixel count. The shutter is a little loud and not as refined as the shutter on the 40D or 7D.</p>

<p>One good thing, the 30D is smaller and lighter than those cameras, which comes in handy when you want to travel light. Out of the many Canon Digital cameras that have come and gone, the 30D has got one of the best bug-free records. I have a 5D and a 7D, but allot of times I rather take the 30D out especially if I'm going to be taking street shots.</p>

<p>I have a 20D 30D 5D digital set and although my 30D seems on permanent loan and never in MY bag; I have been very happy with it. It has about 40,000 on the clock, I estimate.<br>

Even though I have only used a 10D moderately, I will state that the 30D is way superior to the 10D as a second body. </p>

<p>The 30D is also superior to the 20D, especially for me because of the way I generally use the metering.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I still have my 30D (along with a 40D and 1D Mk III). I carry it around in my attache case or in a holster bag almost every wheres now a days. I've mostly used the 28-135 IS USM or the EFS 18-55 IS as general walk around lenses.<br>

The 30D is a great performer. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd probably have a 5d Mk II, but the 30D is a workhorse.<br>

I'd recommend it.</p>

<p>Hey thanks Rob B.<br>

I had read the Review's here and taken a few notes, but that comparison on dpreview specifically between the 40d and 30d was much easier to compare.</p>

<p>I'm thinking maybe I'll wait till after the holidays, . . . maybe more folks will be shedding some 40d's at a price I can afford. I think I'd really miss the Live View capabilities too.<br>

Ken makes a good point, as I already find myself having some focus issues (my eyesight) when doing any shooting with some of my lenses at larger apertures, or when using a TC.</p>

<p>Thanks all,</p>

<p>I have a 7D and have 2 20Ds, one is converted to infrared, the other is a backup. It's not as snazzy as the 7D, but it still takes fine pictures. The thing to really consider for a backup is that you'll ONLY be using it if your main camera fails. Is it worth investing more into such a camera? Maybe, if you won't be able to use it effectively enough in the case of a main camera failure, but maybe not if the lesser features are more in the nature of an inconvenience. Only you can answer that, however.</p>

<p>Hi Jim, <br>

As pretty much everyone has pointed out, anything from the 20D, some would argue 10D, up is going to be a good picture taker. Of course you're buying used so that can introduce it's own issues.<br>

However, it hasn't been pointed out that the operation of the 20/30/40Ds will be quite different from your 50D. The various controls, menu items, custom functions etc., will be different. Not necessarily very different, but different just the same. In some situations this can be a hassle/frustration.<br>

I use a 40D, with a 20D and Rebel XTi as back up. If you don't use them all, all of the time it can be confusing.<br>

Just a thought.</p>

<p>Joe D.</p>

<p>Iv been using a 30D for a while now and am very pleased with it, Im pleased with the 10D aswell, the only reason I got the 30D was for the faster operating speed, the extra pixels were not an issue, iv had brilliant 12x18inch prints from the 10D, I dont crop much, (thats why cameras have viewfinders and interchangeable Lenses) Carnt see any point in upgrading unless it was for a full frame camera, iv got no need for Live view and I think 15mp is overkill. All my cameras have Live view, I call them viewfinders, its great you just pick up the camera and point it where you want!</p>