Paterson System 4 & Super System 4 Center Column Size

<p>I read the center (centre) column in System 4 is shorter than in Super System 4. Is that true?<br>

The outside diameter of the column should be the same if the reels interchange between both systems.<br>

I need to replace the center column in a System 4 multi unit body 1. This tank will hold two 120 or two 35mm and one 120 or three 35mm films. I think the Super System 4 equivalent tank is the Multi Reel 3.</p>

<p>Has anyone shortened a Super System 4 center column to fit the System 4 by cutting the top end of the column?<br>

That's my plan, anyone have experience?</p>

<p>Yes they are different, the column in the System 4 is just a tad shorter than the Super column for the same size tanks. The diameters are the same.</p>

<p>I learned that hard way when I mixed up the columns and put the slightly longer one in to my System 4 tank and when I tightened the lid down it cracked my tank a little bit. <br>

I have never done a cut down; but, I can measure the columns if you need measurements.<br>

Personally I like the older System 4 tanks more than the Super System 4 tanks; maybe that is just because they are the ones I started on.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Martin for the confirmation, please measure the length for me.<br>

I also started on System 4 tanks (in 1981). Just got two used multi unit body 1 tanks but they didn't have center columns. I have 3 rolls of 120, 2 rolls of 35 and 1 roll of 127 waiting to get wet.</p>

<p>Now that I measured them I have to correct myself a little.</p>

<p>On the System 4 Universal Tank that takes 2 35mm or 1 120 reel the column length not including the flange is 3 1/16 inches whereas the column length of the same Super System 4 tank is indeed a little longer at 3 5/16 inches.</p>

<p>However for the Multi Tnaks that take 3 35mm or 2 120 the reverse is true.<br>

The column length not including the flange for the System 4 tank is 5 7/8 but is shorter for the same Super System 4 tank at 5 7/16.</p>

<p>I hope this helps.</p>

<p>That makes the System 4 center column 7/16 shorter than the Super System 4. That might let light leak in depending on how far the funnel goes into the column. Maybe the replacement column is sized for System 4 and can be cut shorter for Super System 4.</p>

<p>Has anyone replaced their System 4 center column with a Super System 4 column??</p>