Enlargement from Color Slides

<p>I haven't done slide shooting for a while but I managed to shoot several rolls of velvia 50 last month. I have chosen several frames that are going to be enlarged on paper. However, I was shocked to find out that no one here (in Hong Kong) is doing the direct enlargement. They all do scanning the film and then do a digital output. Do you know if there is anyone on earth still doing the direct prints (is it called Cibachrome or something else?) Thank you.</p>

<p>Ilfochrome is the only remaining reversal paper for printing color slides. From a high-contrast film like Velvia 50, constrast masking may well be needed, making prints quite expensive.<br>

Ilfochrome is the most stable (against fading) color print material. The dye set has a gamut rather different from modern RA-4 papers.<br>

But scan and digital print on RA-4 papers can produce excellent results. Plenty of art photographers go that route. Not inherently bad.</p>

<p>In Japan it is still offered. My local pro lab can produce "negaless" optical prints on paper base and film base. The film base is the Ilfochrome stuff and the paper is well, paper. I am not sure what paper they use but they seem to offer direct slide printing.<br>

Lambda prints are the digital version of an Ilfochrome and they are very good. You should give them a try at least before you give up.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Lambda prints are the digital version of an Ilfochrome</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well not really, not any more so than LightJet or Chromira anyway. These RA4 processes have taken much of Ilfochromes market because its easier to get a good print , and you can get certain repeatability which is important if you print in editions and don't want to do them all at once. <br>

Ilfochrome is, as has been pointed out the only remaining commercial way to make analogue prints from slides. They aren't easy, and the skills to do it well are becoming hard to find. Most affordable Ilfochrome printing in the UK that I've tried has been poor and the best results seem to come from dedicated amateurs with a home darkroom. Contrasty prints have always posed a problem with Ilfochrome and I'm not sure that anyone commercially makes contrast masks any more to overcome this problem. In short its becoming harder to find Ilfochromes and you can't assume that if you can get them they will be great (though they might be).</p>

<p>The same is true of the RA4 digital prints of course. Having the gear and offering the service is not the same as providing a great product. But personally I switched from analogue to RA4 digital prints ten years ago with the backing of then clients who saw prints side by side. If the digital prints you've seen are poor, that isn't because digital is inherently worse, its because the lab is offering a poor process or poor people or poor control. Exactly the same as for Ilfochrome. You need to find a good lab. You are likely to find that more easily with a scan/print digital service than with Ilfochrome.</p>

I have had prints made at Excellent Colour and the quality was indeed 'Excellent' :-)

More expensive than colour 6 but if you are really concerned about quality above cost then I think justified. I have a

feeling they scan and then digitally output but worth asking.

Contact Details:

Excellent Colour

7/F, Room 701, Beverly House

93-107 Lockhart Road

Wanchai

Tel: 2866 8090

Be interested to hear what they say.

Rick