Upgrade 350D to 5D

jean_john

<p>I was looking for 10 reasons to and 10 reasons not to.<br>

<strong>About photographer</strong>: Myself,photography is not my profession.Nor do I earn money from it.<br>

<strong>Shooting style</strong> : Mostly casual shooting...sometimes serious shooting of Macro and Landscape.<br>

<strong>Have enough money</strong>: Not really<br>

<strong>Temptations</strong>: Wonderful sample videos shot by 5D(I do think that camera is only a small part of it),Large sensor,Shallow DOF,4 year old 350D with 15k shots,Great bokeh,Better ISO,Available light photography,Don't have a video camera.<br>

<strong>Lens I own</strong> : 50mm 1.8,100mm 2.8,18-200 3.5/5.6<br>

<strong>Lens I plan to buy</strong> : 24 70 2.8L</p>

<p><strong>Reasons to upgrade</strong>:<br /> • Superior "operating system" on the 5D, but this also applies to all the XXD cameras from the 20D to the 60D and the 7D too. Most people who have used both (I have an older 5D, a 20D, and an XTi (aka 400D), do prefer the extra and more accessible controls on the cameras sold for the more "prosumer" market.</p>

<p>•Although I like and still use my 20D, there's no denying that those big pixels and larger images are very nice.</p>

<p><strong>Reasons to consider other upgrades</strong>:<br /> •You can get the control system, as mentioned, on less expensive cameras than the 5D mkii</p>

<p>•You can get danged nice video on the 60D and 7D, not to mention the newer "Rebels" (aka, now as T series)</p>

<p>Others will contribute still more reasons, pro, con, and alternatives.</p>

<p>Personally, I think a 5D II would be a little premature right now. You just don't have enough lenses to justify the cost of a 5D. Purchasing the 24-70 would just tack on an extra $1000 to the already $2500 you already spent. keep in mind that there are also the accessories such as flash cards, flash, CS 5, shoulder bags, filters, tripods, batteries, lighting equipment etc. <br />We all love our hobbies, but I learned the hard way when I was younger, that buying on impulse can dig you into a hole that is sometimes very hard to get out of. Couldn't you look at some of the cropped(cheaper) cameras first then decide if you want to move up to something better.<br />Unless you have allot of money lying around, which you said you didn't I would really think twice about this purchase IMHO.</p>

<p>If you want the "full-frame advantage" (this includes a much nicer viewfinder) there are only two choices (with the 1D cameras being just too expensive) -- the old EOS 5D (Mk.I) and the current EOS 5D Mk.II. Since you want video, this narrows the selection to one...</p>

<p>But if your 350D (of 20D vintage) is still giving you the pictures you want (and 15k is next to nothing in shutter count) there is another way to get better low light characteristics: get the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens!</p>

<p>Jean,</p>

<p>I upgraded from the 350D to the 5D Mk1. Paid ~$1000 for the 5DMk1. I've never looked back - there is no comparison between the 350D and the 5D, even the Mk1. IQ, high ISO performance - outstanding.</p>

<p>If you don't want to commit to a 5DMk2, a 5DMk1 is a very viable option, especially for a hobbyist.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For your needs (casual shooting, macro, landscape) 5DII is the best camera money can buy today. Shooting casual videos is very easy, but you will have to spend some time getting to know all of its features and what it can and cannot do. In your situation I would also dump 18-200 and get 5DII + 24-70 + 70-200 f/4 (non-IS if money is tight). And I'd also recommend buying used to save money. If you decide to stay with crop then you could probably get T2i and stick with the lenses you currently have.</p>

<p>10 reasons not to:<br>

<br />- 5D is big<br>

<br />- 5D is heavy<br>

<br />- 5D is already discontinued<br>

<br />- 5D has mirror removable feature<br>

<br />- 5D has no popup flash<br>

<br />- can't use 18-200 anymore<br>

<br />- got to buy new lens like the 24-70<br>

<br />- your primes seem shorter<br>

<br />- more trouble adapting other lenses<br>

<br />- last but not least: You are not sure to upgrade yet</p>

<p>10 reasons to:<br>

<br />- 5D is big<br>

<br />- 5D is heavy<br>

<br />- 5D is going cheap on used market<br>

<br />- 5D is better built<br>

<br />- 5D has two controlling wheels<br>

<br />- 5D has PC sync for external flash<br>

<br />- got more angle of view now (easier to find a lens for that)<br>

<br />- you can fully use your full frame primes<br>

<br />- 5D has good viewfinder, very good for using manual lenses<br>

<br />- last but not least: You want to upgrade so bad</p>

<p>I shoot with the 450D, and am in a very similar situation as yourself. Every few months I think maybe I will start saving toward a 5D. Within a few days, I realize that I simply will not see such a great difference in the sharpness of my images to warrant that level of financial investment. Someday, I will surely upgrade to a 5D-like body. Until that day, however, I think it makes sense to put the money into better glass.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Temptations</strong>: Wonderful sample videos shot by 5D(I do think that camera is only a small part of it),Large sensor,Shallow DOF,4 year old 350D with 15k shots,Great bokeh,Better ISO,Available light photography,Don't have a video camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The 5D doesn't shoot video. Did you mean 5D2? If so, you could also consider one of the cropped sensor Canon DSLRs that also produce excellent video quality.</p>

<p>Reasons not to consider this as a video camera.<br>

1) NO AF so if you shooting like kids running around you have to track focus.<br>

2) No real audio.. your audio is going to sound decent but you will get much better audio out of a video camcorder<br>

3)Save format - you can only record up to 4gb max at a time so no extend continuous shooting.<br>

4) Need to purchase half decent CF cards.. the CF cards should be at least 30mb/s and you would probably want to get 8gb or larger.<br>

5) its not a convenient design o shoot video with.</p>

<p>That said i shoot video with my 5D mark ii. But i use it to make more cinematic style movies with shallow depth of field and what not. I have external audio equipment and accessories to make the camera more like a video camera. Here are some reasons why people have been using these cameras to film.<br>

1) Shallow depth of field.Before the only way to achieve this DOF without using film was to use an adapter which took out stops of light before hitting the imager.<br>

2)low light capabilities. With noise reduction and ISO control on these cameras you can get fantastic low light clips.<br>

3)Cheap interchangeable lenses. Video primes go up to $30000 for one so its a great deal when you can buy them for under $2000 each.<br>

All in all a great camera if you can deal with those cons. I agree full frame might be the way to go with your type of photography but why not the original 5D and a nice camcorder.</p>

<p>I have used the 350D (XT) and seriously consider virtually any xxD or xD camera to be its superior. I don't like the control sysyem of the XT, the focus system of the XT and the size and weight of the XT (It seems totally unbalanced with a 24-70L lens and a battery grip helps only slightly)...<br>

One of my main concerns with the XT is the placement of the button controlling the drive mode is located where the thumb of my right hand will unintentionally hit it and change drive modes. When I press the shutter button and the self-timer starts cooking off; i say to myself "oh shucks (or something tothat effect) I've done it again.<br>

I love my 30D and 40D and am comitted to the 1.6x system due to my love of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and Tokins 12-24mm f/4 lenses...</p>