5D upgrade

ryourth

Am hesitating in taking the plunge into the full frame world with Canon's 5D Mark 11.Reviewing the specs show that my

50D has cross type focusing elements whereas the 5D is away behind current practice.Exposure control is identical in

in both 50D & 5D

Now comes along the D7.with superior focusing & exposure control & I can not help thinking how good the 5D would be

with the D7 focusing & exposure control.

5D was upgraded in Dec. 2008, any thoughts on when the next upgrade will occur

Expect there are numerous photographers experiencing the same hesitation in taking the big step into full frame

imaging.

<p>The 7D is definitely an upgrade over your 50D, but are you feeling limited by your 50D that you want to upgrade?</p>

<p>Regarding the 5DMkIII, there's been no announcement, and even if there had been one, the 5DMkII will not stop taking fine pictures. So if you want to upgrade to full frame, go for it. If you're not in a hurry, then wait.</p>

<p>True the outer AF points of the 5DII aren't as quick or as effective in low light as the 7D. However, I can say I rarely find a situation where I can't lock AF with my 5DII. Of course I don't shoot sports, preferring travel, landscape, street and macro. Many of my images are in low light (twilight, bars, stage & churches) and I can say the differences between 5DII AF and the 50D are minor. 5DII AI servo with the 6 "invisible" assist points enabled is actually better than the 40D/50D. Also the 5DII center point is slightly better than the 50D in low light, albeit the outer points are single axis only and have trouble in dim conditions where the 50D does a little better. I find 5DII AF significantly better than most of my prior cameras: EOS 10S, Elan, Elan 7E, A2, EOS 3, 10D & 20D. I would count the 50D/5DII at a draw as they have different strong and weak points.</p>

<p>The 5D was in production slightly over 3 years before being replaced with the 5DII. If that is the pattern, expect another year before an upgrade appears.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>As far as I know, the AF in the Mk.II is unchanged from the old EOS 5D (Mk.I). It is very good system, more accurate than the *0D cameras. However, the 5D is no sports camera -- this is what the APS-H dSLRs are for.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 5D was in production slightly over 3 years before being replaced with the 5DII. If that is the pattern, expect another year before an upgrade appears.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is true, however, Canon will only release Mark III in case Nikon releases a camera that will beat 5DII in features and quality. I am not very familiar with Nikon market but from what I've heard from Nikon guy there isn't a real competition from Nikon yet. Maybe he is wrong, I don't know. I used to own 50D and I would also say that their (5DII and 50D) AF systems are somewhat similar. If you are looking to shoot sports or any other action then you should probably consider 7D or 1D series.</p>

<p>I'm sure Canon has 5D3 designs on CAD and prototypes at test. It takes a long time to develop a new product and Canon can't pull one out of it's arse simply because Nikon released a new model. As I recall it took Nikon years to field a FF model after Canon did. A extremely delayed reaction to the 5D and 1Ds series! I'm sure both companies won't release a new model until the complete R&D process is complete, and that timeline is independence of competitor's release dates. </p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>The new 5D's have generally followed introduction of new 1ds models and these do seem a bit late right now, the problem is probably there isn't much they can add until the technology changes. The 5dII is a great camera and I am not sure the focusing system is the problem most Nikon users make it out to be. It would be nice if it were better, but I don't know anyone shooting most things, models, events, landscapes etc that is bemoaning the AF in the camera--the 5D or 5DII. I think there is a lot of noise out there about features, but most cameras out there will meet the needs of most shooters, the question is just whether you want to shoot full frame or crop sensor--go for it if you want full frame experience or you will be waiting a fair amount of time is my guess.</p>

<p>Sure, no doubt that Canon has 5DIII already. The only question is when they decide to release it. And they will do it only based on market conditions, not because Canon users created some schedule. Market is only driven by competition and release of a new model heavily dependent on that. Don't forget that 5DII now caters to video professionals too, who continue buying 5DII and will continue buying unless there is a big reason for them not to. <br>

I bought 5DII with intentions to keep 6 years (skip 1 upgrade) but if 5DIII comes out with the same AF system as 7D then I would sell my 5DII and 1DII and will get 5DIII, otherwise I am very happy with IQ that I get from 5DII for many years to come.</p>

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post their thoughts on my question.I do know it is my intention to upgrade to the D5. have becom quite adapt at picking out full frame images in photo magazines.With the Xmas gift season approaching Dec would be a good time for it's release.Also a large retailer in our district has reduced prices twice in the last two months which is kind of odd with the Xmas season fast approaching.Thanks again for your comments-Ross

<blockquote>

<p>With the Xmas gift season approaching Dec would be a good time for it's release.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>~$2500 msrp dSLR body really isn't the hottest item in the average xmas basket. There aren't even preview models in circulation yet and one month to go... Seriously, mkIII will come next year, not now.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With the Xmas gift season approaching Dec would be a good time for it's release.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd buy a dozen for family stocking stuffers! </p>

<p>Even if Canon announced a 5D3 this month, it would take a couple months to work into the retail pipeline. I guess I'll have to put IOUs in dem dar Xmas socks!</p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>Ross</p>

<p>As others have said unless you use sports get the 5DII. The AF on the 5DII is actually very good - most of the reported issues are either user error or cheap lenses. The 5DII AF works perfectly well so long as you know what you are doing. It is really just a case of using AF the old way (I shoot this way with all my bodies including my 1 seriers and 7D).<br>

You should only use the center or center plus AF assist points on the 5D. For static subjects just focus using the center point and then compose using one shot mode. For sports you need to use AI Servo and the center or center plus AF assist. Even shooting low light (LV7-8) ice hockey the 5DII AF works perfectly well - I get 90-95% in focus shots which is slightly less than my 1DIIN or 7D but only by a few percentage points.<br>

Image quality wise the 5DII blows away my 1D and 7D - even at low ISO.</p>

<p>I agree with others that the center point on the 5DII is fast and accurate, even in low light, and even for sports (the 3.9 fps rate is fine for my kid's soccer games).<br>

However, be warned that the outer points are worse than useless for wide aperture (>= f/2.0). They can't lock in very low light, even though the sensor is perfectly capable of taking a great picture. In somewhat less low light they lock on, but are inaccurate. (hence worse than useless)<br>

I once did a test and got a 40% keeper rate with the outer points, while the center point achieved 100% keepers on the same shot.<br>

It's ironic that the outer points don't work in the exact situation in which you need them, razor thin DOF where focus and recompose wont work.</p>

<p>Can't say much about the 5D MK II since I don't own one, but the upgrade from the 30D to the 5D classic I made 3 years ago was definately worth it. The focusing between both cameras is about the same with the 30D being a little faster beleive it or not, but the picture quality is what set both cameras appart.<br>

With the 30D I would not go over ISO 800 and kept it at 400 or below if I could help it. But the 5D allowed me to easily shoot at ISO 800 with no degradation of the image. Also when it came to printing, the 5D easily allowed me to make 16X20 prints without any jaggies and other distortions or artifacts.<br>

I would say the difference in the image quality was like almost comparing a 35mm format against a Medium Format camera there was just that extra quality that is hard to put into words. <br>

Another benefit is that a 24mm lens is a 24mm lens, a 50mm is a 50mm, a 100mm is a 100mm lens on the 5D. No more complicated mental gymnastics.<br>

Despite that, I still opted for the 7D 1.6X cropped camera, when it came time to upgrade, for the speed, sensor cleaning and all the other features and also because my 5D classic is almost in Mint condition with less than 5000 shots taken. </p>

<p>For picture quality in many instances I prefer the look of the original 5D over the 5d Mark II , i have no idea why that is in technical terms...we are taking the ISO 100-800 range of course. Surely there are many holding off to buy the 5 d mark III but the big jump in quality really comes in moving up to the full frame sensor. I used a crop body as a back up about 2 weeks ago and its just not the same league when it comes to out of camera results... that is something subjective and not likely to be seen in spec or pixel peeping. </p>

<p>....In fact, there are many out there using the original 5D for landscapes and won't upgrade, such was the quality of its output. Did you ever consider that as a possibility? ebay has them floating around $1200 used.<br>

We have a customer who came into the shop a few months ago and was thinking about trading his 5D on a MkII. We did a test and printed off the shot. It was very hard not to like the 5D's output...it really only matters when you are considering A1 or A0 prints.<br>

The comments about needing really good lenses are valid though. </p>

<p>Shadforth, I can't talk to the 5D2.<br>

My experience is limited to a recently purchased Mk1 and using it in conjunction with a 40D albeit with a few Ls. The FF experience for me has been a true revelation where I'm relearning composition, angle of view, use of depth of field etc<br>

If I read you right you avoided making a profit from a customer ....?<br>

I <em>am</em> heartened.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>For the price of a 5D2 you can have two 5D plus a sharp prime such as a 24 or 35mm for landscapes or a 5d plus a 24-70 2.8 L. At the end I doubt that all the features of a new camera alone can give you better results on field than a more versatile equipment, since photographs have aways been made by cameras AND lenses, or mybe lenses before cameras ;-)</p>