Regarding popular photography

<p>Hi,<br /><br />There are a collection of old popular photography from the 60s in a nearby library. I'd like to take a look at the old ones (probably from 60s-70s) when I get time. However, there are just too many of them and I don't know which one has the topic I might be interested in. Is there a database that I can use to quickly find out the topics of my interests and relate year, issue number, or even the page number?</p>

<p>I visited popular photography's website and cannot find this information. Any suggestions are welcome.<br /><br />Thanks! </p>

<p>Which library, what city? I'd love to be able to look at old back issues myself. I have subscribed off and on since about 1973. The old issues -- from the 70s or early 80s and earlier -- are much better than the current magazine. Even within the constraints of being supported by advertisers, they wrote much more about actual photography and less about the latest equipment. They always did equipment reviews, but they weren't afraid to write about how to do something on the cheap as opposed to how to make use of the latest expensive gadget that you don't really need.</p>

<p>many things have been either forgotten, ignored or<br>

stated incorrectly. Reading the old magazines will likely<br>

correct these errors.<br>

I went thru a lot of " I dunno" with the introduction of 35mm Kodacolor.<br>

finally , someone with a complete set of magazines gave me the information that neither Kodak or the eastman house could not.</p>

<p>I am looking for a Camera 35 article about making a drum to use Kodak fine grain release positive to make a stri[p of B&W slides. it was before 1975.</p>

<p>Harry, thanks for the link but it doesn't have the index of the magazine</p>

<p>Craig, it's a college library. I like reading the old issues probably because some of my favorite cameras are from 60s and 70s. I feel the older issues have more depth than recent ones.</p>

<p>Marc, you are probably right. If there's some place that can provide all the indexes, that should be Popular photography. It doesn't have any information of older issues on their website, so probably no one could.</p>

<p>Walter, I agree. That's why I am interested in the older magazines.</p>

<p>Tom, I was talking about the indexes of all the previous issues. The library has all issues from 60s, so there are about 600 of them. I may not be able to find what I am interested in very easily, unless I go through the indexes of all the issues.</p>

<p>I cannot speak for the current content on Pop's website, but during my tenure there as an Online Editor (2006-2008), I never came across an archive list going back that far either in hard form or digitized anywhere within the organization..<br>

However, you mention that this is a University Library, so you very well may be in luck. Check with the reference librarians for the Periodical Index and Guides for that timeframe that they've got. It may be a bunch of huge dusty books probably with green or blue covers, or it may have been converted, in part, to digital and online searchable databases. Alexander Library at Rutgers was about half and half when I was there in the early nineties. I'm sure at least some of these old lists have been digitized since then. But yes, there are/were these amazing big books filled with almost every article published in different magazines and newspapers that you can pore through to find an article from way back when.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<blockquote><br /></blockquote>

<p>Jack,</p>

<p>That is some good advice. We used to have an excellent technical library where I worked. They would have abstract of articles from technical journals. They also had bound volumes of journals and magazines. They would have indexes of the magazine articles.</p>

<p>I have some bound volumes of photography magazines. Some had indexes for the individual volumes.</p>

<p>Zheng Peng,</p>

<p>Are these magazines individual or are they bound volumes? If bound you may have indexes within them.</p>

<p>If not then Jack's suggestion is best.</p>