Yosemite in winter - when is the best time to go?

bastian_bauwens1

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I know that it is impossible to predict the weather, but still, I need to ask for your opinion. :-) I would like to go to Yosemite in winter for a maximum of 10 days, and I will be flying in from Germany, so I cannot react just when a snowstorm has popped up.</p>

<p>I can do the trip between January 2 and February 17. So, if you were to travel to Yosemite to see the park covered in snow, which 10 days in that period would you pick? What time is the best time to *most likely* get some snow?</p>

<p>Looking forward to your suggestions and advice,<br>

Bastian</p>

<p>Bastian, I don't know, but it might be useful to look for photographers doing workshops there in the winter, and see what they say. Maybe add a workshop at the beginning, then go off on your own. John Sexton comes to mind, but I'm sure there must be others.</p>

<p>February. Check out the web site of Michael Frye and his book Yosemite Guide to Photography (possibly not the exact title). Also check out the Ansel Adams Gallery at Yosemite - the best Yosemite photographers prefer February and October for the excellent light. The downside of going in winter is that Tioga Road (the north road) is closed. Yosemite Valley is open, but driving can be challenging. You may want to carry chains for your tires.</p>

<p>The rim of Yosemite Valley will have snow, but the valley floor may or may not depending on your luck. At that elevation, snow and rain alternate in the winter. In terms of probability of snow, anytime during January or February is equally good. By going for the maximum of ten days you will increase your chances of having snow on the valley floor. If there is little or no snow on the valley floor, you can still photograph the cliffs from below. Cliffs on the south side of the valley will have more snow and it will extend lower down. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, both the Tioga Road and the Glacier Point Road (the only roads going up to much higher elevations) will be closed by snow and that limits your other options. You could hike or snowshoe into the Wawona or Merced groves of giant sequoias. You could also drive south to Kings Canyon and Sequoia national parks, where Highway 198 is normally open all winter and will take you to higher elevations with both snow and spectacular scenery.</p>

<p>If you have a full ten days, you could even do the grand loop of Yosemite - Sequoia - the Eastern Sierra (Owens Valley, Mono Lake, Bridgeport Valley, etc.) - Lake Tahoe. This would give you a couple of days in each area. Just remember that all passes over the crest of the Sierra Nevada between Carson Pass and Walker Pass are closed in winter, as are most roads going well up into the mountains. However, if the lighting cooperates you can get excellent photos looking up to the mountains or in the lower elevations of them. Chains and winter emergency supplies are mandatory for a trip like this.</p>

<p>Let me add to Bill's comment: Snowfall in the Sierra is of a different magnitude than in the Alps. The first group of Germans crossing over Donner Pass (W Reno) learned it the hard way. Even the freeway connecting Reno to Sacramento can be closed for snow removal. To avoid missing your return flight, if you decide to go to the the east side of the Sierra, leave enough time for your return drive. Also, chains are required at the first hint of snow, and you will be turned back if you don't have them.</p>

<p>Excellent points, Peter.</p>

<p>I should add that the question of at what elevation the snow is or has recently been falling, while critical in places like Yosemite Valley, is not so important in places like the Eastern Sierra, where the foreground will almost certainly be snow free (Bishop and southwards) or very likely snowy (Long Valley north to the West Walker River), while the mountains likely will be snowy in any case. Lake Tahoe is also likely to be snowy down to the lake's edge in mid-winter.</p>

<p>Helping the odds of snow this winter at moderate elevations (1300-2000 m) is the current "La Nina" climatic mode in the Pacific Ocean, which increases the odds of colder storms (in contrast to the opposite "EL NIno" mode).</p>

<p>Good luck on your photo expedition!</p>

<p>Why are chains required? Snow tires, I understand, but chains don't make sense. We drive all over the Rockies in Colorado in the winter with good snow tires. Four wheel drive helps, but snow tires are most critical. Chains just slow you down.</p>

<p>Colorado does require chains for 18-wheelers, but that's a totally different matter.</p>

Yosemite a valley is at approximately 4000 feet of elevation. It rains on the valley floor as often as it snows, even in mid

winter. You could find yourself in a foot of new snow... or an inch or two of rain... or lovely sunny weather. There will be

snow on the rim of the valley and surrounding peaks.

I shoot in the valley regularly, and I'll go any time between about the end of October (fall color) and early April (spring

storms). You are perhaps more likely to have snow in the December-February time frame, but you will also have fewer

shooting hours and it will more likely be stormy. Perhaps best to avoid the American Christmas and New Years holidays,

too - costs may be a bit lower outside of this period.

I second the recommendations of Michael Frye's book.

You are required to _carry_ chains in the valley. This is actually a California law. You may or may not have to use them,

thouggh the park service tends to err in the direction of being overly cautious, perhaps because they recognize that many

park visitors are not experienced snow drivers. In addition, very few Californians have snow tires. The law still requires you

to carry chains if you have four-wheel drive, but it is much less likely that you'll need to use them.

I assume that you are most likely flying in to San Francisco. In this case you will not encounter the problems with trans-

Sierra highways mentioned above. The shortest route from SF to the valley is via highway 120. However, if the weather is

bad you might consider the route through Merced and Mariposa, as it stays at lower elevations and you will be unlikely to

encounter snow on the road.

<p>Most of the 34 million people in California have very little experience driving in snow conditions. Many of them head for the mountains during snowy conditions to play in the snow. Chains do a pretty good job of slowing them down enough that the roads into the mountains aren't completely closed for days at a time due to the combinations of accidents, spin outs and snow accumulating between the vehicles and clogged roads preventing snow removal. </p>

<p>I'm not sure there is a good way to predict snow in the valley as it doesn't usually last too long after a storm but there would be snow in the high country and one can drive or shuttle bus to the Badger Pass ski area (on Glacier Point road) and then ski/snowshoe, etc., as well as potentially go inot or over the snow at the sequoia groves.</p>

<p>http://www.shutterbug.net/techniques/outdoor_travel/1206locations/</p>

<p>It seems like if you might be interested in catching this, then the February time frame would be better. Again, this really depends on timing and weather conditions combining to have the waterfall flowing and sunlight hitting the area late afternoon/sunset. The few times I've camped in Yosemite Valley in the winter I just had rain - and a lot of it - at night. An April trip there was snow overnight but it was gone by the time we got in from Mariposa. We also ran into chain requirements in that trip for a short time coming in over the Wawona Road (from the south entrance).</p>

<p>I can also add weight to those choosing February and as late in February as you can. Towards the end you will have an excellent chance at catching the firefall, a waterfall that turns orange/red in the waning light.<br>

Also, I would recommend flying into Oakland instead of San Francisco. It is a major airport and will cut atleast 45 minutes off your drive to the valley.<br>

Chains are manditory, but when you get your rental, get either 4wd or all wheel drive. Chain control goes in 3 modes. 0 means no control, 1 means 4x4 or awd or chains, 2 is manditory chains. This is updated many times during the day and the rangers are EXTREMELY serious about it.<br>

Also, get the Michael Fryre book and make a shoot list. The park is a giant loop and each stop has different times of the day that you will want to take it. The mist trial will be closed, but you should be able to get to the vernal falls footbridge.<br>

With 10 days you should be able to hit everything you want, and there are a ton of options just outside of the park as well. Feel free to check out my web gallery of Yosemite.<br>

<a href="http://www.rgbowen.com/yosemiteinwinter/index.html">Yosmite in winter </a></p>

The "fire fall" was an event that was discontinued some decades ago. A fire was built at Glacier Point, and the embers

were pushed over the cliff after dark.

Thhe phenomenon you refer to is Horsetail Fall, along near the eastern end of El Capitan. For a RPGs

Ew weeks each winter, when/if conditions are just right, the setting sun can illuminate the fall and create was has been

called "the natural fire fall," in reference to the distinctly unnatural historic event.

A few things to consider:

1. In order for Horsetail to flow

, the conditions must be just right. This usually means some amount of snow in the relatively

low elevation area feeding the fall, accompanied by a warm-up that melts some of the snow and/or some rain.

2. You need to be there during the somewhat brief time period when the light strikes the fall each season.

3. The skies to the west must be clear enough to let the sun in at sunset.

4. You need to be in the right locations such that the fall is visible and the light comes more or less from behind the fall.

5. You have to be willing to be one of scores of photographers shooting this same subject.

Dan

<blockquote>The park is a giant loop and each stop has different times of the day that you will want to take it.</blockquote>

<p>It's true that Yosemite Valley has a loop road, but the valley is only a very small part of the park, less than one percent. Yosemite National Park is not "a giant loop" and most of the park is roadless wilderness.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I see that we have rules lawyers as well as photographers in this thread. If you need to split hairs, I suggest a macro lens ;0) but I am sure that won't suffice as well.<br>

Regarding the loop, yes, it is indeed the valley loop I was referring to. In winter, much of the rest of the park will become unobtainable for the average photographer due to the closing of the tioga pass and glacier point as well as the wawona grove. Of course you can snow shoe into areas, but that is highly risky alone, and should be done with an experienced travel guide. Look up <a href="http://yexplore.com">Y-explore</a>. John is good people and a very experienced guide. He knows all the trails and will get you where you want to be safe and smiling<br>

Also, yes, I was referring to the natural firefall, not the discontinued annual controled burn.<br>

One other note is that you will want to stay in the valley. The closest location not in the valley is Wawona, and that's an easy 30 minutes without snow. Best case if you are snowed in the valley, they run a shuttle service so you don't have to drive, but it is limited to the valley.<br>

Please post any further questions, as this is a trip worth worrying over ;0)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>In winter, much of the rest of the park will become unobtainable for the average photographer due to the closing of the tioga pass and glacier point as well as the wawona grove. Of course you can snow shoe into areas, but that is highly risky alone...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Relatively safe snow-shoeing and cross-country skiing is also a possibility in some accessible areas where there will likely be others about. Some of the trails along the Glacier Point road and the road itself near the Badger Pass ski area are pretty easy and popular. Although I haven't cross-country skied there, I understand that there are some fairly tame possibilities near the Tuolumne Grove area, too.</p>

<p>You can also get lessons and guide service in the park if that is the way you want to go. (For example, there is a package that supports skiing to Glacier Point and staying overnight there.)</p>

<p>It is good advice to those who are not experienced at this stuff, though, to recommend some degree of reasonable caution and that it is usually a better idea to travel with someone in the back-country. (Not that I always do... ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /><em>Also, yes, I was referring to the natural firefall, not the discontinued annual controled burn.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>"Annual controlled burn?" Hmmm... Not sure we're describing the same thing just yet. When I was a child my parents used to take me to the Valley from time to time. (Thanks, mom and dad! :-) As I recall, the "firefall" was a nightly event during the summer. I never saw it from Glacier Point, but I do recall seeing it from the meadows near Curry Village. People would assemble where they had a clear view of Glacier Point and some exchange would transpire that involved people above and below yelling "let the fire fall!," after which the embers would form a water fall shaped cascade from the point. (And, yes, lots of people photographed that phenomenon, too.)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /><em>One other note is that you will want to stay in the valley. The closest location not in the valley is Wawona, and that's an easy 30 minutes without snow. Best case if you are snowed in the valley, they run a shuttle service so you don't have to drive, but it is limited to the valley.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree that it is best to stay in the Valley if you can, for a bunch of reasons. It becomes more possible to not use your car, though if you are carting around a LOT of photo equipment you may still need one. You also get to more easily experience the special pre-dawn and evening times in the Valley. Costs can be pretty high, though. Watch for special seasonal pricing during off-peak times. I've occasionally gotten lodging in the Valley for half of the normal price. (You won't get these prices during the Christmas/New Years holidays, though.)</p>

<p>There is a closer option than Wawona. There are several large tourist motels around El Portal, which is less than a half hour from the Valley. Because its elevation is lower than that of the Valley, the driving tends to be easier than driving the higher (and potentially snowier and icier) road to Wawona.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I've been on ranger led xc ski "tours" in the Badger Pass area. It kind of depended on the weather conditions and group ability assessments whether we dabbled about in the Summit Meadow area or made the trip to Dewey Point. Again, it was kind of based on the common lack of experience with snow conditions/over the snow travel for most Californians but a person with some experience could easily deal with the sequoia grove areas. I made the ranger's Friday night slide show for my distinctive "recovery" from a spectacular forward somersault and faceplant coming back from Dewey Point one beautiful sunny Friday. On another trip we had to cut it short due to a possible health issue with one of the participants. The rangers are very sensitive to the skills and abilities of the people on their tours so they are usually a good way to get out and about if one isn't ready to go out on one's own - and with a range of abilities, they usually have a fair amount of time allowed to take pictures although they aren't going to be dedicated photo trips.<br>

Mariposa Grove is also very popular. The groves (and a number of other trail areas) are marked and the roads, etc., even unplowed, are pretty obvious routes into/out. Weekends, especially, one is unlikely to be completely alone in the groves unless you make the effort to get away from the prime areas. Of course, being out alone, it's still probably a good idea to be sure someone is set up to notify the authorities if you don't return as planned and to be really aware of potential weather changes.</p>