Sticky Built in flash

paulferesten

<p>This is a common problem, and I really don't know why Canon doesn't fix it.</p>

<p>The field solution, when you know the camera is apt to do this, is to put your fingernail under the edge of the pop-up <em>before</em> you push the pop-up button. If you hear the click, pull up gently and the flash will pop up.</p>

<p>For a mid-range solution, see hints at earlier discussions here on P.net at <a href="00TaCS">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00TaCS</a>, for one. Even if you lubricate it, I can assure you that the problem returns in due course.</p>

<p>As with any use of lubricant, make sure you've got the right ones, not three-in-one or some off the rack oil. Also make sure to use only the tiniest amounts. Figure out what seems about right and reduce it by 2/3rds.</p>

<p>Yes my 40D has a very similar issue although as yet I have not had an error code. In my case I put it down the fact that some while ago beer was spilt over the camera! After a thorough wipe down I thought that I had got away without any damage. Every now and then I find the mode dial is a bit stiff and the flash fires a loud click and does not always pop up. Hopefully things won't get any worse. If they do then a trip to the Canon repair hospital is suggested.</p>

<p>I had the same problem several times with my 20D. I lifted the flash CAREFULLY with a tiny jewelers screwdriver while pressing the flash pop up button and applied WD-40 sparingly with a toothpick to the hinged parts when it popped up. Worked for a couple of years before I had to do it again. In my case I think the problem was just accumulation of dust and moisture because I didn't use the flash very much.</p>

<p>Doesn't WD-40 have some de-rust type stuff in it that may not be good for a camera over the long run?</p>

<p>There are special oils made for cameras and they can be purchased on-line. They tend to be in tiny little bottles and cost a lot, though. Of course, you need to be able to trust the vendor or you may get a bottle of ' elisir d'amore '.<br>

I think real watch oil is probably OK.</p>

<p>"Sometimes, it will not open and I will hear several clicks and then an error code. At other times there will be a slight delay. Has anyone had this problem and is there a fix?"</p>

<p>No, not with the 40D, 7D, or with the 30D which I own. I did experience this problem with the Canon Elan II when I was still shooting film. The Camera would sound like if a time-bomb was about to go off, click, click, click... <br>

I took the camera for repair which cost me about $150 and 3 weeks waiting time, but after a couple of weeks the problem resurfaced again. I'm ot sure why Canon has not addressed this issue. </p>