F-3 and F-100

mike_dunn2

<p>I currently have a Nikon N-65 I use for color photography. I resently have seen Nikon N-3's and N-100's on sale , used , for $249.00. I'm trying to move up to a more professional camera and am sure feed back on this forum will be very helpful. The price is right and I'm limited on what I can spend due to retiring soon.</p>

<p>N3 and N100, I am sure that you mean the F3 and F100 as in the title. $249 for the combination is a good price. You should be able to getter deal on single bodies though.<br>

I have no experience with the F3, I understand it is still a benchmark for many pro's, but I would prefer the F100 simply for its AF capability, better metering and capabilities to work with the latest lens technology.</p>

<p>I have an F3 and my wife has a couple of F100's. I would base the choice somewhat on what lenses you have. I have stuck with the more manual F3 because I have a collection of manual AI and pre-AI lenses which I like, and have shot manual cameras for many years, so the F3 fills my needs elegantly. I love the F3, which is well made, sturdy, and might well be considered one of the nicest manual cameras ever made by anyone. Although the F3 does depend on batteries for its operation, it uses little button batteries that last a long time, so that is a plus. My transition to the F3 comes by way of many years of using Photomic FTn's, so of course it's an upgrade, but if you're used to more automation, and if you actually use auto focus, sequence shooting, matrix metering, TTL flash and the like, you might find it a step backwards.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if your lens inventory is largely auto focus already, I'd go for the F100. It is a fine performer, very versatile, well made, and a pleasure to use. It will still work fine with AI and AIS manual lenses, though chipless lenses will not display aperture information in the viewfinder. The F100 uses four AA batteries and since it winds and autofocuses as well as exposing with battery power, it is quite dependent on them. My wife has two F100's and loves them. She has found that the extra cost of lithium batteries is well worth it, and because she rarely uses auto focus, they last a very long time. In terms of features and quality, current F100 prices are shockingly cheap, and it would be hard to find anything else that good for less. As an upgrade from the N-65 I think an F100 would be ideal and suspect that you will love it almost immediately.</p>

<p>The 'pro' models are 'F' everywhere, and Nikon includes 'F100' in this group. The F100 and F3 are very different cameras. The F100 is a terrific upgrade to the F65/N65, and at current prices is arguably the best bargain in the film SLR market. The F3, though once a top of the range camera, is a much older design and is obviously manual focus. It's best to decide on the basis of which features you actually need, rather than on whether a camera is labelled as 'professional'. The F3 has a few advantages for manual focus use, like (interchangeable) 100% viewfinders and good battery economy. Pretty much everything else is better in the F100. The F3 might be regarded as more durable, but the F100 is also a very tough camera that's very unlikely to fail in any normal conditions.</p>

<p>I have both the F3HP and F100, and like them equally as well. They are from two different eras. The F3 was the third Nikon flagship professional body and entered the market in 1980. The F100 was in a long line of second tier professional bodies and entered the market in 1998. It replaced the N90s, which had a strong and loyal following. If I had to choose just one I'd choose the F100 for overall ease of use and reliability. But the F3HP is a manual focus gem, and has the most beautiful finder of any 35mm SLR I've ever used in my life. It is a joy to hold and a joy to use. But having shot for so long with digital, sometimes when I'm shooting with my F3HP I forget to focus, or forget to wind the film. I usually bring both bodies with me when I am shooting film. Tomorrow I will go to a car show and plan to shoot three rolls of slide film, alongside digital. And the F100 is the body I'll be using there.</p>

<p>The F3 is really for manual focus lenses. Since you have an N65 I'm going to guess you have AF lenses and should go with the F100. It's a fantastic camera, you'll see an immediate improvement in speed over your N65, the finder is much better and it has a more "solid" feel. It's larger and heavier than the consumer line, best for large hands.</p>

<p>They are both excellent bodies. If you shoot mostly static subjects such as landscapes and macro, consider the F3 for it's mirror lock up and interchangeable prisms. However, best all around would be the F100 offering matrix/spot metering options, auto film advance and auto focus capabilities (just to name a few)...I own both and if forced to choose just one it would be the F100. Good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>Another vote for the F100. I've owned an F3 and an F3HP and they were wonderful cameras, but the F100 is the best all-around 35mm camera I've used. I mainly use it with AI lenses and the viewfinder is bright and contrasty for manual focusing, plus you have the focus confirmation light for assistance. But the F3 does offer interchangeable focusing screens.<br>

The F100 also has a fantastic feel when holding the camera and is much lighter and more compact than the bulky F3/MD-4 combo. I think the F100's frame rate is also faster. Having the option of AF, including the latest G lenses, is also great about the F100.<br>

Flash is one of the most significant differences between the cameras. The F3's 1/80 sync really restricts fill flash capability. That and the lack of a built-on hot shoe were two of the key reasons I switched to the F100. The compact SB-30 flash is perfect for the F100. It can be tilted down almost to the prism when not needed, then quickly "popped up" when you want to take a flash shot. The F100 also wins points by using available-everywhere AA batteries. A set of lithiums seem to last forever.</p>

<p>Another person who owns and loves both cameras here. </p>

<p>The choice really comes down to your style of shooting (and your existing lenses, as other have noted). The F3 is arguably better for slower, more deliberative shooting, particularly where mirror lockup may be needed. Of these two cameras, I'd pick the F3 for landscape and macro use. I have the HP (high eyepoint) version which has a great viewfinder. The F100 is better all around for most uses and certainly so where autowind, autofocus, matrix metering, or speed are desired or advantageous. If you're accustomed to the N65 then the F100 is the natural step up. You will love it.</p>