Adonal developer replaces Rodinal ?

leighb

<p>I read on the Adox website that they're shipping the original-formula Rodinal developer under their name Adonal. </p>

<p>Supposedly they hired some of the Agfa personnel to aid in developing their new product line, including film and chemistry.</p>

<p>Has anyone used Adonal? If so, what results?</p>

<p>TIA</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It was renamed because of legal and copyright issues. It is sold under different names in different countries. In Canada it is Blazinal.<br>

It is still made the same in one place then repackaged in the bottle for the country in which it is to be sold and shipped to.</p>

<p>I bought some Rodinal recently from Freestyle. Not sure if this is "classic" Rodinal or "new Coke" Rodinal. In any case, I've developed two rolls of Fuji ACROS 100 with it so far with fantastic results. 1:50 for 7 mins at 70 degrees, rated at ISO 64.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I bought some Rodinal recently from Freestyle.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hi Dave,</p>

<p>Rodinal under that name was last produced by Agfa in 2005, before they went bankrupt.</p>

<p>It's my understanding that the developer is a saturated solution with an almost infinite shelf life.</p>

<p>There have been comments on various fora indicating that the plastic bottle is somewhat porous, resulting in changes of stock strength over an extended period of time (years), so it might be desirable to transfer the stock to a glass bottle.</p>

<p>If you do transfer it, be sure to transfer the solids and any residue as well as the liquid, since this is related to the saturation of the solution.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Hmm, I bought it thinking it would last a decade or more. I only need half an ounce every time I process one roll of 120 at 1:50 dilution, so at that rate this developer will last a decade for me. I guess I'll just have to track its performance, which so far, is brilliant. It produces a gorgeous grain structure in ACROS 100 film and my prints look lovely. I don't want to transfer it into a glass bottle, mostly because I don't have the proper glass bottle (which would have to be a dark smoked glass one).</p>

• 5 years later...

<p>I bought a bottle of Blazinal back in 2012 from FilmPlus in Toronto, so it's about 3.5 years old now. Kept in the plastic bottle, which is now about 60% full. Marked "Made in Germany".</p>

<p>Much to my dismay, it seems to have lost some of its potency. Either that or I botched the developing job. I followed the steps from the Massive Dev Chart fairly closely:</p>

<ul>

<li>1+25 dilution</li>

<li>Ilford HP5+ 120 format, ISO 400</li>

<li>Develop time 6:00</li>

<li>Constant agitation during first minute, and for 15s every minute thereafter</li>

</ul>

<p>The resulting negatives were noticeably thin.</p>

<p>Possible sources of error: I didn't shake the bottle of Blazinal before mixing my solution, so it might've lacked some of the separated solids. And the solution temp might've been somewhat hotter than 20°C (although if anything I'd expect that to over-develop, not under-).</p>

<p>So... Keeping this stuff in a glass bottle is probably a good idea. And despite Rodinal's reputation for longevity, always run a test roll first. :)</p>