Canon XSi or Nikon D5000?

<p>Dx0 thinks highly of the d5000 sensor (imaging). I prefer canon electronic lens and free dpp (nikon software is said to not be as good AND is not free).</p>

<p>I'm a bit unhappy with canon approach (high density sensor and lots of excess weight on bodies with good auto focus sub systems).<br>

Anyways as you can see there are trade offs and no 'right' answer. They are both better in different ways.</p>

<p>[[Which is a better camera, Canon XSi or Nikon D5000?]]</p>

<p>Neither is better. Both are different.</p>

<p>Like I mentioned in your other thread, don't obsess over this, it's not going to do you any good. Any DSLR is going to allow you to grow as a photographer and allow you to capture better and better images of your child. (Provided you work at it, no camera can yet read your mind! :) ). Buy what you can afford (budget for memory cards and a backup hard drive for your computer!) and begin to learn. </p>

<p>It's like a marriage, you choose the one you like best. If it turns out to have been a mistake, it's very expensive to switch, but people tend to stay with their camera choices longer than with their spouse choices.</p>

<p>The average camera-person relationship lasts for 7.8 years.*</p>

<p>_____<br>

*I made that up, by the way.</p>

<p>Go to store, hold cameras, see which you find nicest to use and handle.<br>

For some, Canon Rebel handgrips are too small. Others find Nikon's too large. Makes a lot of difference in how comfortable a camera is to use, and an uncomfortable one stays at home after a while...<br>

I do not know the size of your hands, but a store with both models on stock can settle it ;-)</p>