Manfrotto 498RC4 ball head. Am I going nuts?

<p>A few months ago I got a new Manfortto 498RC4 ball head and everything was working the way it was meant to work.<br>

Last night I went to use it and noticed the the knob that is supposed to lock the ball in place does not lock it at all, the tension knob is the only one doing the job (to a degree). It seems crazy to me that it would not tension the ball just one bit, it feels like the threaded part just got shorter since I can screw it all the way in. The only thing that can come to mind would be if one of my kids unscrewed the knob all the way out and that was supposed to be pulling something inside the housing.<br>

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? It can't be wear since it's brand new and as far as I can recal it did work when I got it, I doubt I was using the tensioning knob all this time.<br>

Thanks<br>

Alex</p>

<p>I just noticed by removing the threated know that tension the ball that the inside is hollow. I wonder if there is something that is meant to be there. can someone with this ball head confirm that. I believe the could be what is going on.<br>

Thanks<br>

Alex</p>

<p>Harry I did not take it appart it is just the knob, I'd be surprised if that knob would render the whole thing bad just by removing it.<br>

I sent a question to Manfrotto about it lets see how long they take to reply.<br>

Thanks<br>

Alex</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Greetings Alex!<br>

I had the same problem and I might have a solution for you.<br>

If you unscrew out the lock knob there should be a small, bright grey piece of metal stick. That's the thing wich pushes the soul of the stuff, without that, the knob is simply too short.<br>

If you're lucky, as I were, this crap is still inside your ball head and with some patience, you may get it out by shaking it out.<br>

However, this is a kind of very poor design, as this small rod might fall out anytime again, if you unscrew the lock knob too much. I did not try yet, but a drop of glue might help.<br>

I hope you find that part inside your stuff, otherway I don't really know, how to get a new one. Worst case, I can send the diameter and length data of mine, perhaps one of your mates can make a new one.</p>