Ignore your lcd?

<p>I guess overall you can overdo it, if you use it for its own sake in an undisciplined way. I have to reshoot msot images to get the colours of the main subject where I want them, so I would be better served with a RAW histo that covered the whole LCD, preferably with configurable R-G-B display settings. In bright sun the thing is hard to see, and you can usually be sure about composition. At presetn I emulate ith with in-camera menu settings. I can see LV being great for set pieces.</p>

<p>So I think it is a great asset, if only for exposure control. And I really want to know I got the shot, for remote locations it is a must I feel.</p>

<p>I shut the LCD off so it doesn't light up after every shot. I'm not tempted to look every time, and it's not too hard to figure out appropriate moment to look.</p>

<p>For me being able to look at the photo when I choose to is a great asset. I am creating visual art. Using my eyeballs is a good thing. Not being able to see the photo when I want is like cooking without tasting as I season, writing without reading what I wrote, and drawing and painting without making sketches. </p>

<p> </p>

When I learned to fly there was no such thing as a glass cockpit. We made landings in very bad weather using basic flight instruments. Things got much easier and safer when we used computer generated displays and ultimately glass cockpits with far better and more inherently safe representations. Not using the camera LCD would be the equivilent of blocking out a highly useful cockpit flight instrument. I did most all of my professional photography on film without LCDs. I had to wait for the film to be developed to see if my film came out ok after a wedding. LCDs can really be helpful in weddings IMO. I just did a PR and family shoot for a well known person. This person knew what was wanted and we chimped the family pictures together. Looking at the their pictures totally involved the teen agers and turned them from being bored and sullen into happy directors of their own shoot. I had to cajole them into stopping after we got way more pictures than I thought we needed. The parents were thrilled with the product. I think it may be shortsighted not to use every tool available. It's the picture that counts and if chimping betters the product I say use it. I do. My subjects do because it promotes communication and interest sometimes and relaxes those being photographed.

<p>I don't argue that the LCD, review and Histograms can be a useful tool. But it can also be a distraction.</p>

<p>Dick, to use your analogy. I would assume when you went to the computer generated displays, that there could be the danger of putting too much attention toward them and forget to actually look outside and make sure what you were seeing lined up with the instruments.</p>

<p>My problem isn't that the LCD and Histogram is useful (it is almost too useful). I find myself tempted to look after every single shot, even though the lighting hasn't changed, and my settings haven't changed, just the object has changed. Is it really necessary to check the review and histogram for every single shot?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Eric, so you check each and every shot even when you are confident nothing has changed and that the shot is OK? That sounds like more of an OCD thing. I suppose you have to find whatever solutions work for you. If that means sitting on your hands to keep them from picking at a scab, then I guess you have to sit on your hands. However, realize that's you and not most people. Personally, I look when I seek feedback and don't look when I feel I know my camera and I are doing the right thing. I'm cool with that, and I'm so glad my camera is able to give me the feedback I want. Yea technology! :-)</p>

<p>"The reason you use instruments in an airplane is because you cannot see anything through the window because of weather."<br>

That's the last time I get on an airplane ! Sometimes it pays to "chimp" especially if you are taking repetitive stuff such as school portraits or Sports teams. It's good to feel confident that you don't have to look at the LCD, but from experience I can tell you that once that mirror goes up anything can happen. Your subject might blink, or the expression changes from a smile to a frown without you ever realizing it. </p>

<p>Hmmmm ..... I keep reading "tiny little screen" when refering to the LCD. The D90 has a 3" screen with 920,000 pixels - that's damn impressive and you can zoom in to beyond 100%. It makes it very easy to check focus on the eyes and such. It's a tool - use it as such or don't it's your call. I use mine to check exposure and composition but more importantly to see if one of my rugrats blinked or stuck out thier tongue so I know if I need another shot. I turned my LCD playback off and don't check very shot but it's nice to review once in a while.</p>

<p>As an auto mechanic I use my impact gun and torque stick when tightening wheels - I could use my torque wrench that would work just as well, but it would also take a LOT longer. Maybe not the best example but if yu have a tool that works - I say use it.</p>

<p>Erik, you should try out a camera with a newer LCD at a local camera store - I'm sure Canon has some with the same specs as my D90. It really is amazing - side by side against my D80 the difference is very noticable.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm thinking about covering my LCD for the next week</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Can't you just turn it off? I seem to remember that in my time with a D100 before I returned to film, my LCD was permanently off. I had to press a preview button to turn it on.</p>

I hate all these modern conveniences, they take all of the challenge out of photography . I mean really ! , face detection software, histograms, exposure meters , auto focus.... whatever happened to the good ole days when you pointed the camera in the general direction of your subject and hoped for the best.

Oops, I thought this was the grumpy thread.... never mind.

<blockquote>

<p>the days of spending $60 on film and processing just to find out everything's a stop underexposed are over.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not over for me. Not sure where the $60 figure comes from though or that one stop error in processing would be much of a problem (assuming negative film). Getting exposure right is to do with technique and experience. Something I would value much more than repeatedly trying a shot and having a look to see if it is o.k. yet.</p>

<p>I use it as a tool, if I feel I need it. Or not. Such decisions are made in a second. No big deal. I rarely allow "chimping". It's just a waste of time, the next, better shot is just seconds away. But sneaking a glance can detect errors and save mucho embarrassment later. </p>