Nikon Wednesday Pic 2010: #21

Matt Laur

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I'm unlikely to be on-line next Wednesday, so I'm adding some comments now on this week's thread.<br>

So much to choose from:</p>

<ul>

<li>Matt - a really striking photo when toned like this, I think it suits the subject perfectly.</li>

<li>Jens- a delicate and fascinating IR capture.</li>

<li>Jonas - amazing colours!</li>

<li>Jose - Great, I'd love to see this myself one day (my wife is Portuguese).</li>

</ul>

<p>I don't even feel competent to comment on Mike Eng's awesome photo or any of the amazing macros which are here this week. Maybe one day, I'll get to shoot beginner versions of some of these subjects...</p>

<p>Just a few uninteresting Nikon shots this week, I`ve had to work with medium format instead.<br /> Here I have just tested my 50AFS on the D700, looking for aberrations, blooming and other issues; it was getting dark, and I expected the camera to overexpose by default... but I was wrong. The D700 meter reading was dead on, no compensation needed.<br /> Result: no trace of fringing. Nope, nothing, nada.</p><div>00WYkY-247649584.jpg.aaf5c5c396a833aabc096f5fcc5d9136.jpg</div>

<p>I really like the animal pictures this week: Matt's sweet dog with her owner's hand is gorgeous. Scott's cat pic is beautiful too and technically great, I think, with both eyes in focus yet nicely blurring toward the rear (perfect (or purr-fect) aperture selection) and also sharpened just right, which isn't easy with cats and dogs. I also very much like Adam's bunny (my greyhounds would enjoy visiting), Jonathon's fierce kitty, Sankha's and Rathijit's posing squirrels, and the Alpo's lighting for Nelly.</p>

<p>I also think this week's film pictures are not only good looking but also instructive. Ian's luminous tree and Adey's mysterious portrait both have special atmospheres that probably would be tough to match with digital. To me Louis's bicycle sculpture has a much different look that is also great—clean and sharp—similar to digital.</p>

<p>Super landscapes too: Jonas's woods and Lawrence's golf course are especially striking.</p>

<p>I also really like Richard's fern and Brian's take on that disturbing sculpture.</p>