Can Photoshop CS4 be installed on XP Service Pack 2?

<p>I've been wanting to work with my new Canon 7D raw files in Photoshop. My current edition is CS2 and it cannot open the new raw files. I just tried installing CS4 but hit a snag... During the set-up process I got an alert saying I needed Service Pack 3. I then tried to install SP3. They said I needed the latest Internet Explorer to do so... I don't even use IE, I use Firefox, so I want ahead with a manual install of SP3... About 90% thru, it failed and I had to uninstall it. During the uninstall, I got an error saying that Windows was unable to remove everything and my computer may not run properly. Gee, thanks! As of now, my system seems to be ok... So to make a long question short...</p>

<p>Can I install CS4 over Service pack 2?</p>

<p>Then I guess I can get to the part where I need to download the latest Adobe raw files...</p>

<p>Short answer. No. CS4 needs SP3, but make sure nothing else is open and/or running (i.e. Virus protection, firewalls, etc.) when you load SP3. That might help you through. I don't know why it said you needed the latest IE because I only have IE6 on mine and it worked just fine.</p>

<p>Here I have CS4 running in Xp with SP 2; that is what adobe says too:</p>

<p>http://store.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/software/photoshop4/systemreqs.html</p>

<p>What they do is RECOMMEND you use SP3; but require SP2.</p>

<p>Thus the shorts answer is yes. I have two boxes here with SP2 and on can check out the Adobe link too.</p>

<p>SP2 of XP is only supported to July ; thus your are going to have to upgrade to SP3 anyway; or run an obsolete unsupported OS that might get hosed up if you hang out on the internet.</p>

<p>****Another issue are there are variants of CS4; I got mine when they *first came out.* A NEWER VARIANT might too have burr up its bum and want SP3.<br>

This is why Rich can be correct too; ie NO in some cases.</p>

<p>Here's a snippet from adobe re CS4...</p>

<h3>"System requirements</h3>

<p>• Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista)"</p>

<p>I have used CS4 with only SP2 with good results. SP3 did nothing but crash my computer...<br>

Always a good idea to look at the website for the software supplier...and not believe everything you hear...</p>

<p>Photoshop CS4 came out in Sept 2008.</p>

<p>XP SP3 came out in April 2008; it was an update in May 2008.</p>

<p>Some of us tried SP3 and "had Issues" ; thus we did not install it ever; or until later.</p>

<p>Here CS4 was placed on XP SP2 boxes. Hardly anybody with XP machines was using Sp3 when CS4 came out; except for new boxes just built. Requiring CS4 to have SP3 in the fall of 2008 would have been silly; like requring Win7 and locking out all Vista and XP users on new software today; ie suicide by only catering to a subset of users</p>

<p>Thanks for the respnses, everyone. Yes, I have had my computer on Auto update and I think I remember SP3 failing to install the first time it tried. Anyway, it definitely failed this time. There must be some issue with my aging computer. I will try to install CS4 again and just ignore the SP3 warning. I'll let you know how it turns out.</p>

<p>One of these days I am going to have to buy a new system. My Motherboard is so old it takes AGP graphics cards!</p>

<p>Our Dell XP cd has sp2 as part of the cd.<br>

A newer one may have sp3. Best used only on a Dell,<br>

but when we turn on a Dell that has not been<br>

used recently, or on the internet.<br>

the sp3 automatically comes as a "update".<br>

below is the file name.<br>

331,805,736 05-06-10 5:55p<br>

WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe<br>

search on the file name and download as a file and<br>

install from the local hard drive<br>

try cnet of file hippo for sources.<br>

maybe if you download without installing it will work</p>

<p>we ( right now) are re-installing xp on my B I L pc after the drive died ( it is a Dell)<br>

\strange sp3 installed after a big bunch of fixes ( the next day)<br>

we leave a pc on-line and let microsoft " do it's thing for 24-48 hours<br>

I would think that sp3 would be one of the first things it would do.</p>

I had so many problems trying to install CS4 on my computer which is runs on XP, that I finally gave up. I'm very happy with my CS2... well not very happy, a better word might be 'content', but at least it is not causing any other problems.

<p>Ric, are you using Windows Update regularly? You really need to do that because of security fixes. If the rest of your Windows is contemporaneous with IE6 you've got problems waiting to happen.</p>

<p>I know how you feel though. I only just installed Windows 7 after years on XP, and only because my OS hard drive started clunking and I was going to need a new install anyway.</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

Yes, I do use Windows Update regularly. It often applies the updates and reboots my computer (which I hate when I'm in the middle of a project!). I guess it had given up on SP3 after the first fail, though.</p>

<p>Had a lot going on lately, still haven't tried to install CS4 again... I have a feeling I'm not that far away from just getting a new system. My motherboard and processor are like 6 years old.</p>