A Lens / Kit Question That Hasn't Been Asked Yet

mark_poseley

<p>OK, I am a strict amateur who has been taking pictures with Canon gear for more years than I care to recount.</p>

<p>My current kit includes a 5D MKII, 24 - 70 F2.8, 24 - 105 F4, Nifty Fifty, 70 - 200 F4 IS, 300 F4 IS, and a 1.4 TC II.</p>

<p>How come I am content? ;)</p>

<p>Sorry, but I just had to change it up a bit and I am bored right now...</p>

<p>Mark, I think for us amateurs there comes a point where we know what we need, for what we shoot, and we are content with us. </p>

<p>Mainly, our photos are for our own enjoyment, the enjoyment of making them, and sharing them with friends.</p>

<p>Professionals have to worry about what can they do to get the edge over the competition. Some amateurs see competition in places as well, with other amateurs. Personally, I just want the best photos I can get.</p>

<p>I would have to say that I am content with my gear for the time being, and love to just get out and make photos, and mine isn't even as impressive as yours. My kit: 20D, 17-40L, nifty fifty, 70-200 f4 L.</p>

<p>You are content because you have not tried a 20mm, 16-35mm, or 14mm lens yet.</p>

<p>Once you taste the wonderful world of the "true" wide angle lens, you'll come to think of the 24 as a "normal", and ignore pretty much everything you own longer than about 35mm.</p>

<p>Well, you asked.</p>

<p>I'd sell either the 24-70 or 24-105, whichever you use least, and get a 17-40mm or 16-35mm. That will make things more fun. Or buy a 2nd body; maybe a 7D or 40D or 1D IV depending on budget. The fast burst and crop factor is great for wildlife. This would open up a lot of possibilities too. </p>

<p>That sure is a nice coverage of focal lengths, good lenses too.<br>

The 17-40mm or 16-35mm recommendation is a good one, going wideangle with those ranges on a full-frame open up new possibilities.<br>

There is also a 500mm f/4 that would be very nice to try in a zoo... sometimes it can feel like too much magnification, but not often. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Mark, I think for us amateurs there comes a point where we know what we need, for what we shoot, and we are content with us.<br>

Mainly, our photos are for our own enjoyment, the enjoyment of making them, and sharing them with friends."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My thoughts are as with Erik's!</p>

<p>You, sir, are gravely ill, and your cure is <em>lens acquisition syndrome</em>. :)</p>

<p>Seriously, I'm almost at the stage of contentment with my kit as you are. For example, I had been considering picking up a 70-200/2.8 IS L II to replace my 70-200/4 IS L, but realized that the latter lens delivers such good results, it would be sheer folly for me to replace it with a much more expensive lens that delivers only marginally better results.</p>

<p>True contentment is a state to which many aspire but few attain. Perhaps that's because most of us are looking outward for it (to things like photography gear, for example) rather than inward, where it resides.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>You are content because you have not tried a 20mm, 16-35mm, or 14mm lens yet.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>LOL! What Joseph said. Anytime you try something faster (be it the computer/camera or lens) or slightly higher quality (better performing) you want it and the contentedness disappears. ;-) That's how I am built.</p>

<p>It's the 'nifty-fifty' get rid of it, immediately! Then, you'll be able to come back here ask which 50mm lens is 'best'. Then, you can buy them all (one at a time), take a bunch of 'test shots' and then you can back here again discussing 'focusing problems'. THere, that should make you un-happy for a while :)</p>

<p>Levon Monte - you misinterpret my intentions but I apologize to you in particular for any offense you may have taken.</p>

<p>mike newman - I now have nine posted; is that sufficient to pass muster? Criminy, that is nearly TWO pictures per lens!</p>

<p>Some of you guys crack me up, and definitley align with my expectations of p.net... ;)</p>

<p>A good freind of mine is really pushing me to explore wide and fish eye; this is where he lives. UW lenses are very much an acquired taste and take more talent than I have to use well. However, I am giving it thought...</p>

<p>Dagnabit! Ya'all got me thinkin' again! I hate you... :)</p>

<p>SeeYa</p>

dear mark.it was a light hearted comment. i did not intend to set standards or put downs . i did revisit and your photographs are whether x amount or a million your work and i respect that..my expectations of pn are also high.pass the peace pipe! regards mike

<p>mike newman - then we are in agreement. ;) I do not post a lot of my pictures on p.net; as I said I shoot for my own personal satisfaction so generally I only post things I find personally rewarding.</p>

<p>I had to give up the peace pipe when the 70s ended...</p>

<p>Mark</p>