quick charger

<p>For unknown reason, my battery charger that came with my D5000 is missing (MH-23). I bought a brand new one immediately from eBay, a Nikon MH-23 Quick Charger. The D5000 manual states that the pilot light on the charger (red pilot light) is supposed to blink when charging and remains lit (steady light, not blinking) once the charge is complete. This charger that I bought from eBay doesn't blink. The red light is a steady light the moment the EN-EL9a battery is inserted for charging. After a couple of hours, the red light turns steady green. This is inconsistent with what the manual states regarding the red light on the MH-23. Anybody out there that can explain this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>Looking @ Ebay shows some pics of MH-23's with a blink then steady indication on the front of the charger. They all come with a 120V power cord. Knock offs on the site seem to look different and plug directly into the wall, i.e. no cord for 120V. (some include a car cord instead).<br>

Are you sure you bought an 'original' one?</p>

<p>Just a thought.<br>

Jim</p>

<p>"Looking @ Ebay shows some pics of MH-23's with a blink then steady indication on the front of the charger".<br>

Jim, that's exactly what I have - a blink and a steady indicator on the front of the charger, just like the one that came with my D5000. This can be plugged into power outlets ranging from 100 - 240 volts, just like the original. I bought it in eBay from a store in Portland, Oregon. I paid $17.99 plus s&h. It's a Nikon brand with serial number. The one sold at Amazon.com is $39.99. </p>

<p>Just an update to this post: With the MH-23 I ordered from eBay being defective, I immediately ordered the MH-23 from Amazon.com for $39.99 (+s/h). I also emailed the eBay store where I purchased the MH-23 for $17.99 telling him that I would like to return his defective merchandise. He responded by saying he's going to send me a replacement MH-23 for free and I don't have to send the defective one back. Cool! Now, I have both: the replacement and the one from Amazon. Here are the differences:</p>

<p>$17.99 MH-23 from ebay: Black color is too dark and shiny, the contact prongs are loose, wiggly, and are pointing in different directions, the sticker on the back of the charger has the same identical serial number to the first MH-23 sent to me (serial number made up in random and printed thousands of them, may be), the power cord that came with it is too skinny (feels like a telephone cord), it came in a small ziploc bag as it's "packaging", no manual/instruction sheet</p>

<p>$39.99 MH-23 from Amazon: Black color is flat, smooth and velvety to touch, the sticker on the back is very authentic and the serial number is engraved in the sticker that goes through the plastic body of the charger, power cord is thick similar to most appliances you use at home, the prongs are uniform in shape and points to the same direction, it came with paperwork, manual/instructions and authentic Nikon box packaging.</p>

<p>Bottom line: Beware of products advertised as "OEM". Low price can mean low quality. I'll give the store credit for sending a free replacement without having to mail the defective one back.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Update to this story: It doesn't get any better: So, I received the "free replacement Nikon charger". Funny, it has the same serial number with the charger that was initially shipped. It still doesnt work. You plug it in and the pilot lamp is lit steady green (whaaaat??). You stick the battery to charge and it remains steady green. It's alright. I already have the MH-23 from Amazon ($39.99). Once you plug it in, pilot light is steady red. You stick the battery to charge, the red light blinks. Once fully charged, the red light becomes steady. Please use my experience to learn your lesson rather than experiencing on your own.</p>