Kodak tmax 3200 question - dark film base

<p>I have a bulk roll of tmax 3200 film that someone gave me. I have kept the film refrigerated but do not know how it may have been stored before me.<br>

I developed a roll last night in HC110 using solution 'b' at ten and half minutes.<br>

The film was exposed at 3200.<br>

The film base after processing is dark. Would this be an indication that the film is old and unusable ?<br>

I'm hoping that someone has experience with old film and give me some insight before I spend a lot of time exposing and developing to figure out wether the film is worth using.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Charles</p>

<p>I believe the dark on the film is due to the little gremlins floating around such as cosmic rays as the higher ASA films seem to get fogged more easily than a lower speed film.<br /> See how the prints look. If they look good to you then continue using the film. If not then maybe use the film for practice or as wallpaper in your darkroom! Smiles & Grins!</p>

<p>Charles, ifthe film is dark, it more than likely means it is fogged from light exposure or age. It may well be usable though. Try scanning or printing it. It will likely appear "flat", but you may be able to boost the contrast to get a decent image.</p>

<p>Base fog. If it's bulk rolled, that stuff is at least several years old. I don't know when they stopped selling it in that format, but at the very least 2006 or 2007. I seem to remember seeing some already expired 100' rolls at Ultrafine a couple years ago with a description that said these rolls were discontinued.</p>

<p>The expired TMZ that I've shot was ok for about a year after expiration, but got noticeably worse sometime during the 2nd. I started rating it at 800 and got nice pictures. I wouldn't use it at 3200. This stuff had expired in 2007. </p>

<p>It's true that this film will develop more age fog faster than it's slower counterparts, but this is only part of the issue. Fresh TMZ will develop out with a higher base density than most other films. I couldn't tell you how much of what you're seeing is there naturally and how much of it is age fog.</p>

<p>Have you tried printing or scanning it yet? Despite the heavy base fog it may still be quite usable. THis film has a pretty dark base (high fog) even when new. Sometimes the increased base fog can be helpful; almost like a low contrast mask to even out high contrast scenes. Just looking at a negative is no indicator of how it will print or scan....what have you got to lose?</p>