Fuji Acros at EI 64, Rodinal or HC-110?

hoshisato

<p>Hi, I shot some Fuji Acros at EI 64 and am looking for suggestions to use either Rodinal or HC-110. I use these developers because of their shelf-life. Most photos were taken at sunny days, some with a yellow or red filter to emphasize the clouds and sky.<br>

<br /> Since the Massive Dev Chart has no entries for this film for either developer at EI 64, could you also suggest developing times at 20C and agitation? I usually use HC-110 at dilution 'H' and Rodinal at 1:50 or 1:100.</p>

<p>Thanks<br /> ----<br />http://monochrome.me.uk/blog/</p>

<p>Hello Hans,<br>

I use Fuji Acros, but at EI 100 (which using a different meter may be the same as your 64, no way to tell). I develop it in Rodinal 1+50, 18 minutes, gentle agitation (being a 90 degree tilt to the left and then to the right every minute, after initial agitiation which is a series of full inversions during a minute). From what I have read about this my development time is quite long (it is done a 20 C, calibrated digital thermometer). That may have to do with my preference for a relatively high contrast neg - my enlarger is a Durst M70 Vario, which is a diffuser type so it needs negs with a bit more contrast. Or others may be agitating more vigorously. For the same reason as you I also use HC110 (as Ilford LC29), but generally speaking I will use Rodinal for 100 asa, HC110 for 400 asa.<br>

Have a look of a sample picture developed as described above, camera was a VL667, you already know the rest.<br>

Kids on Malta

Good luck, Bert</p>

<p>I prefer Rodinal. I shoot at EI 80 using a spot meter (I'd probably go lower with an averaging meter), develop 1:50, gentle inversions every minute for 12 minutes at 68F. My prints are usually Gr 2-3. with a difusion enlarger. Most of my images on Flickr are lith, but here is one that shows how the combo handles highlights and shadows. The scene contrast was normal.<br>

<a href=" Senior portrait

<p>Well, it depends. </p>

<p>First off, it depends on the format of the film, how big you plan to enlarge, and whether you want fine grain. If grain is not an issue or you are using 120 film (or larger), I'd lean towards Rodinal.</p>

<p>Second, it depends on the type of enlarger you have and whether contrast will be a concern (which it might be with bright sunny days and if there is shadow detail you want to pick up). If you have a condenser enlarger and/or contrast is an issue, then again I'd lean towards Rodinal at high dilution to benefit from the compensating effect.</p>

<p>Regarding development time, I'd follow the time for EI100 to start with, especially if you are using Rodinal. But, you'd probably be safe shaving off 10% of the time. Remember, EI64 is only 2/3rds of a stop, and Acros has good exposure latitude.</p>