Ilfosol 3

ric1

<p>Do a snip test. Expose a few frames, snip 'em off and process 'em. You don't even need to remove the entire film cassette for this (assuming 35mm, not medium format). In the dark, open the camera back, press the rewind button, remove the film from the takeup spool, snip it. Guard the window for the focal plane shutter with your hand (again, assuming an SLR). It's easier to do than describe.</p>

<p>If you're prepared in advance, you can also load the snipped film onto the developing reel right after removing it from the camera.</p>

<p>That's what I'd do, and have done several times. Not enough is known about Ilfosol 3 so far and I doubt the old conventional wisdom about Ilfosol-S applies. Lots of developers become slightly or grossly discolored with age. Doesn't mean they're bad, good or anything else.</p>

<p>Report back with your findings, if you don't mind. As I mentioned, there isn't much web lore about Ilfosol 3 so far. Not that web lore is always reliable, but at the moment there isn't much anywhere online for that developer other than Ilford's own technical data, which is usually confined to Ilford films.</p>

<p>I've just brought some Ilfosol 3 a couple of weeks ago. It is CLEAR (like water). Supposely, and from what i've read, (visa 'Freestyle Photo') the major improvement Ilfosol 3 has over previously Ilfosol S is better (longer) stock self-life. Anyhow, if yours has now turned yellow you might do a test as Lex suggest. Btw, i've got some some old partly openned Ilfosol S and the color is dark brown. It may be ok, but because its pretty cheap, i will not be using it...</p>

<p>thanks guys,</p>

<p>i just can't risk totalling this reel which is hours and hours of multiple exposures - studio shots majority of them. many thanks also for the test procedure, yes it is 35mm photography.</p>

<p>Ric</p>

<p>Well then, shoot another roll and develop that one first. My attitude towards developers is, "When in doubt, throw it out." Developer is cheap. Film and your time are far more valuable. If you want economical developers that are every bit as good as Ilfosol 3, try the powdered ones. Ilford has a good selection, as does Kodak.</p>

<p>Get some new developer. I tried exactly the same thing with Ilfosol 3 that had been sitting on the shelf in our school darkroom for a year (with an unimportant roll of film). It was a bit darker than lemon yellow.<br>

The negatives, however, were far from that condition. They were obviously severely underdeveloped. So, yeah, don't risk it with anything you care about!</p>

<p>too true!</p>

<p>just high tailed it up to Jessops 'mega store' in London. For 1 Litre quantities they were asking £10 (marked) for liquid developer and £2 (unmarked) for D76 powder, so i went for the powder which I will filter on mixing ~ 'belt + braces'</p>

<p>Jessops have axed 9/10ths of all their processing stock and gone over to <em>point'n'shoot'n'throw away</em> technology :-|</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Ric</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Same with the Jessops in Edinburgh, as you say they are pushing digital P&S cameras......my nearest has a big display right at the door as you go in advertising small cameras with "<em>lots of mega-pixels</em>"</p>

<p>What type of film is it Ric if you don't mind me asking?</p>

<p>I just ordered a litre of Ilfosol 3 with more IlfoStop & Fixer this evening, first time I'll have tried Ilfosol 3 so am curious as to what people think?</p>

<p>My main films are FP4, HP5+ <em>(I like Delta Pro)</em> and TMax-100 & 400 so that's what it'll be getting used on in a 650ml twin reel tank. There is a container of FD10 here at the moment so it'll be interesting to compare them</p>

<p>Best Regards, Andy</p>